rig polling "noise"

Ken  K7ZUM
Hi All,

     here it is, contest season, and would like to use the K2 in the C.W. tests,
hooked up the computer and logging programs to the K2, work just fine, cept
I pick up the computer polling the radio, is abt S-9 on ten, S-6 on 15, and gets
less as I go down the bands, anybody else have such a problem ??
this is using Writelog, Trlog, and to a lesser extent, K2 remote

have used the same computer on my Omni 6 plus, an old TS-570, and a few other
rigs, have never heard this before, any suggestions ??
other than turning the polling feature off

73 de K7ZUM
Ken in Gres"HAM"  Ore

Re: rig polling "noise"

Don Nesbitt
Hi Ken.  Yes - I've had similar noise but not nearly that bad using both
Writelog and N1MM Logger (which by the way I prefer).  First, try to isolate
where it is getting into the rig.  See if it is being radiated or is coming
in on the "special" rs-232 cable to the interface.  Unplug the antenna and
see if it goes away - then try unplugging the cable to see if that does it.
If it is coming in on the cable, try wrapping the "special rs-232" cable
through a large Amidon toroid 6 to 8 times.  That did a great job for me.

'Course, it could be something else all together!  For instance, if you
happen to have the DSP turned on and are looking at the menu for it, you
could be hearing that "burrrrp" - that goes away when you are off that
display (at least for me).  73 es gud contesting!  --don n4hh K2/100/KAT100

RE: rig polling "noise"

Phil, WB6TQG-2
>      here it is, contest season, and would like to use the K2 in
> the C.W. tests,
> hooked up the computer and logging programs to the K2, work just
> fine, cept
> I pick up the computer polling the radio, is abt S-9 on ten, S-6
> on 15, and gets
> less as I go down the bands, anybody else have such a problem ??
> this is using Writelog, Trlog, and to a lesser extent, K2 remote

Did you connect the audio from the computer to the K2? I recall having a
problem like this when I turned on polling for RTTY & PSK31. It turned out
that the problem was caused by a ground loop due to the shields of the audio
cables. I fixed the problem by inserting 1:1 audio transformers to prevent
the ground loop. The transformers can be obtained at RadioShack.

If you had a similar configuration and would like more info, let me know.

73, Phil, WB6TQG