successful tuning indicator installation in KX1

successful tuning indicator installation in KX1

Eric Ward-3
Tom:

K6XX SMD tuning indicator kit arrived today.  Started on it around 10PM and
had it built, installed, aligned, and working by midnight. My only previous
SMD soldering experience was the IC in a Rockmite.

Only glitch I ran into was an unsoldered pin on the IC--I got low level LED
light as soon as I powered up the rig, which went out when I injected the
sidetone.  A quick check under the magnifier found the problem.

One note on your KX1 installation instructions--on p.3, item 15), the 6.8K
resistor says (683) after it, when the part (and the parts list on p.1) is
labelled 682.  Only caused a minor tremor, well short of panic.  Also, I
used 24ga wire with a thicker jacket (Wireman 534 antenna wire) than the
computer ribbon cable you recommend--worked OK but trickier to snake the
wires into the correct orientation to allow the bottom cover/battery cases
to fit.

Thanks again for kitting this great addition to the KX1!
73
Eric
N0HHS
KX1 #670