toroids-kt5x

kc5wa
Thanks Fred for this is a marvelous idea on toroid winding. It will also be of great assistance to someone like myself with limited dexterity in my left hand as it sounds like this method will work quite nicely. This will be filed away for future reference. Thanks.
72/71 de "rc" kc5wa
Toroid winding.  VERY easy.  I took a small wooden dowel and sharpened it, not all the way, with a pencil sharpener making it into a cone but no sharp point.  You could use a pencil and not sharpen it to a point.  I cut a small groove the length of it.  This I support vertically in a vise clamped to my desk.

The toroid goes over the dowel.  The wire is threaded down the groove.  The dowel holds the toroid, allows one to easily pull the windings tight, in fact you can pull it too tight (too tight is when you break the toroid), pressing the toroid down on the dowel squeezes the windings tight against the toroid on the inside, too.  Between putting on a winding, it is hands free, the dowel holds the toroid, wires tight, everything.  It is very easy to manipulate the windings to make them machine-like evenly distributed around the core when the core is over the dowel.