using K3 with THP Hl-1.5KFX amp

Linda and Bob
Has anyone used a THP HL- 1.5KFX amp with the K3? Can you use the amp and K3 with auto band changing data? If so, does the K3 emulate either the ICOM, Kenwood or Yaesu band tracking data? Otherwise, I would have to change the bands manually.

Bob Wilderman, K3SRO

Re: using K3 with THP Hl-1.5KFX amp

Bill K9YEQ
If you check the archives I believe this topic is covered specifically for
that amp. I use the 2.5KFX and it provides auto bandswitching from the K3.
I use a W2 watt meter to protect the 2.5KFX in the event of poor antenna
selection or mistune.  The cable for the AMP was purchased from DX
Engineering as I recall.  Any vendor who sells the amp will sell you the
proper cable.

Bill
K9YEQ
K2 and KX1 field tester, K3 and modules

Re: using K3 with THP Hl-1.5KFX amp

Don Ehrlich
I have that setup and the K3 works great with the Tokyo HL-1.5KFX.  You will
need a special interface cable that connects the Yaesu port of the amplifier
to the aux connector of the K3.  You can build the cable yourself or, as I
did, buy one.    I forgot where I got my cable but will look it up if no one
else mentions the source (a Tokyo HyPower dealer).

Let me know direct if you need that info or other operating info for the
Tokyo HyPower HL-1.5KFX amp.

Don K7FJ

> Has anyone used a THP HL- 1.5KFX amp with the K3? Can you use the amp and
> K3 with auto band changing data? If so, does the K3 emulate either the
> ICOM, Kenwood or Yaesu band tracking data? Otherwise, I would have to
> change the bands manually.
>
> Bob Wilderman, K3SRO

Re: using K3 with THP Hl-1.5KFX amp

Bob Naumann W5OV
Array Solutions has the cables for connecting the K3 to either the
HL-2.5KFX or HL-1.5KFX.

> If you check the archives I believe this topic is covered specifically for
> that amp. I use the 2.5KFX and it provides auto bandswitching from the K3.
> I use a W2 watt meter to protect the 2.5KFX in the event of poor antenna
> selection or mistune.  The cable for the AMP was purchased from DX
> Engineering as I recall.  Any vendor who sells the amp will sell you the
> proper cable.
>
> Bill
> K9YEQ
> K2 and KX1 field tester, K3 and modules

Bob,

Others have mentioned that the cable can be purchased from Array Solutions.
I think that is where I got mine and the cost was about $35.

I have an early K3/100, S/N 195, which I have had more than two and a half
years.  I bought the tuner, KIO3, and general coverage modules.  The filters
are stock 2.8 KHz for SSB, 200 Hz for CW, and 8KHz for AM.  I do not have
the sub receiver and have not yet found a need for it sufficient to justify
the cost but I might yet decide to get one some day.

I am primarily a CW operator and have no interest in dx or contesting.  I
just ragchew with friends and so, for me, I rarely need to use the K3 to its
full capabilities.  That said .. I very much value quality and like to have
the latest and the best.  The K3 certainly satisfies that requirement.

I am not getting the P3.  I already have the LP-Pan receiver playing into a
Creative 0202 USB sound card interface to the computer.  I run PowerSDR/IF
software to provide a huge beautiful panadapter display as well as providing
'point-and-shoot' radio tuning and other radio control.  Maybe some day
Elecraft will have added capabilities to the P3 that are attractive enough
to make me want one but that has not happened yet.  However, the LP-Pan (or
Softrock) approach to panadapter function is somthing that only the
technically inclined should attempt.  It is relatively complex, involves the
need to build special cables, and requires considerable software setup.

A caution about your THP 1.5 amps:  The Tokyo manual shows where the little
dc-dc converter is inside the amp and where the pots are that control fan
speed.  Be careful when/if adjusting those pots because they vary the fan
voltage from zero all the way up to 50 volts and THE FAN IS RATED ONLY FOR
24 VOLTS!   I destroyed two fans in the amp before discovering that problem.

I have never missed a fancy color display.  I sure have not missed the need
to PAY for one.  Those big 'fancy' radios with huge color displays (and
panadapters) have a lot of the cost (and size and weight) of the radio
invested in the display and built-in computer needed to drive it ... and the
rest of the radio (the IMPORTANT part) is usually highly compromised to
compensate.  When I look at the simple monochrome display of the K3 I see a
radio where no expense was spared on the important parts and none wasted on
the frills.  You should look at it that way too.

Good photos of the K3 and amp are difficult for me because of how the shack
is arranged.  I'll try to get a photo or two of the setup tonight when it is
dark outside (no sunlight pouring in the windows) but I am not sure I will
be able to get the gear framed in the picture the way I will want it.

Don K7FJ
----------------

> Don,
> Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly. Yes, once you find
> the source and price of the special interface cable, please e-mail me with
> the information.
>
> I don't have a K3 at the moment, but I have been thinking about getting
> one sometime soon. I would get most if not all of the options factory
> assembled. What options do you recommend?
>
> How long have you had your K3? Currently, I use two THP HL-1.5KFX amps,
> one with an IC-7800, the other with an IC-756PROII; the third rig is a
> Kenwood TS-870S running barefoot always. I also use a Palstar AT-AUTO and
> a Palstar AT1KM antenna tuner.
>
> Can you send some photos to me via e-mail of your K3 and THP amp. Are you
> getting the new P3 also?
>
> All of the rigs work well and the RX's seem to be OK, but I have heard a
> lot of neat/good things about the K3 RX etc. I wish they had a color
> display like some of the other HF rigs, hi!
>
> My antenna system is a Mosley TA-63N, Mosley MY-144-5 for 2 meter SSB,
> Arrow J-pole for 2/440 and an inverted-V for 80/40 and 30 at 40 ft. on a
> Rohn 45G tower.
>
> I use to own a K2 and K1 QRP versions. The K3 is a much nicer radio IMHO.
> I have never used one, but I have a friend nearby who has one. I need to
> go over to listen to the RX.
>
> Thanks again. Take care.
>
> Bob Wilderman, K3SRO

Re: using K3 with THP Hl-1.5KFX amp

Tad Williamson
Bob, I'm using a K3 with a THP 1.5Khx and it works great.  I believe you select Yaesu but I'm not at home to verify.  I bought the amp second hand and it already had an interface cable for the K3 and I plugged it up and it's been auto band-switching ever since.
Email me direct if you ahve any further questions.
73, Tad, WF4W [hidden email]

"What a long, strange trip it's been"

The Grateful Dead

Truckin'