using maldol whip with kx1

Gary Lee-2
Just got my maldol whip with 40 and 20 meter coils.

Need some suggestions on how to use them efficiently.  I will not be
walking with them, got to use my ears for things like crossing streets and
dodging college students.

Also, where do you get a cable with a female b&c on one end?

Thanks for the help.  These look like too much fun.

---

Favorite pre-assembled BNC/Coax cable vendor?

Doug Forman
Greetings everyone,

Anyone have recommendations for a great place to buy pre-assembled
BNC-to-BNC and/or BNC-to-PL259 cable assemblies in various lengths?

Thanks & 73's

Doug  N7BNT

Re: Favorite pre-assembled BNC/Coax cable vendor?

hank  k8dd-2
At 9/24/2004 01:25 AM, you wrote:

>Greetings everyone,
>
>Anyone have recommendations for a great place to buy pre-assembled
>BNC-to-BNC and/or BNC-to-PL259 cable assemblies in various lengths?
>
>Thanks & 73's
>
>Doug  N7BNT

I bought from Cable X-perts (http://www.cablexperts.com/) for our repeater
and their cables work fine .... but for here at home --- as long as I'm
able, I would make my own!

72 73    Hank    K8DD

Re: Favorite pre-assembled BNC/Coax cable vendor?

G3VVT
One item to be sure to check when buying pre-assembled patch leads is that
they are 50 ohms and not 75 ohm video leads as there are plenty of those in the
 market.

Having worked in communications operations and maintenance for many years I
prefer to roll my own as you can make up exactly what is needed. Use crimp
connectors if you have the correct tool and dies for that type of connector or
pressure sleeve connectors if you don't. The pressure sleeve  connectors are a
little more expensive than the normal type, but are far  superior in braid
connection and clamping. Most communication systems  installed in recent years
use crimped connectors for consistent  quality of connection by removing the
need for soldering the center pin which  can be a frequent cause of failure.

Have made up a lot of patch leads for repeaters and the necessary antenna
filters over the years where it is absolutely essential to use double shielded
coax cable for the purpose.

RG214 seems the best for the heavier duty patch leads, which  is similar to
the single shielded RG8/RG213/UR67 or for lighter duty  patch leads, RG223U
which is similar to RG58. These double shielded coax  cables are silver plated
and cost at least twice the price of the  normal single shielded coax, but it
does make superior patch leads. There  are other light duty double shielded coax
cables available, though tend not to  be as easily available and more
expensive.

Bob, G3VVT
K2 #4168