wattage on k3 vs kpa500

RICHH
Hi
  Maybe some one can answer this.   I set my k3 to 60 watts and measure 60 watts on my kpa500 meter with the amp in standby trnsmitting into a dummy load.  When I switch to an antenna with a 3:1 swr the k3 still says 60 watts but the kpa500 now reads  80 watts  with the amp still in standby.   So which is correct  or neither ?
Thanks Richard

Re: wattage on k3 vs kpa500

Rick WA6NHC
Here's my take:

Most if not all RF power meters will only be accurate at a 1:1 SWR (when
there is resonance).  The actual power can more accurately determined by
reading the voltage and current and then only if the amp efficiency is
known.

It's likely that neither the K3 or KPA500 meter is entirely accurate; the K3
would sense the 'bad' SWR and start a power foldback and the amp is a random
location on the feedline away with the mismatch causing a sensing error.
(Adding another random feed length would likely give a different reading.)

>From memory, at 3:1 you have approximately a 25% 'reflection'.  I didn't do
the math to verify, but in this case happens to be the same as shown as
added power in the KPA500.  Perhaps someone else can add more.

The K3 is producing the power and should be the more accurate reading.
However, an improvement of 3:1 should be obtained before either the K3 or
the more importantly the KPA500 applies any significant power (in fact the
amp will 'complain' and switch to standby at ~2.1:1).  That higher SWR in
the real world comes back as heat, which is bad and shortens the life
expectancy of the final(s).

Make sense?

Rick WA6NHC

Re: wattage on k3 vs kpa500

ab2tc
Hi,

Does the K3 have an antenna tuner and is it enabled? If it does, your readings may be entirely accurate. The K3 delivers 60 watts into the matched load it sees. The KPA500, however is on the unmatched side and sees 80W forward power and 20W reflected which is the 25% reflected power equivalent to a 3:1 SWR. I think you should be able to measure reflected power on the KPA500. And what is the SWR reported by the K3? The other possibility is that with a real antenna you have RF in the shack sufficiently strong to cause power measurements to vary along the transmission line.

AB2TC - Knut

RICHH wrote
Hi
  Maybe some one can answer this.   I set my k3 to 60 watts and measure 60 watts on my kpa500 meter with the amp in standby trnsmitting into a dummy load.  When I switch to an antenna with a 3:1 swr the k3 still says 60 watts but the kpa500 now reads  80 watts  with the amp still in standby.   So which is correct  or neither ?
Thanks Richard
<snip>

Re: wattage on k3 vs kpa500

Rick Stealey

Most likely the K3 is putting out 60 watts, real watts.  The wattmeter is also probably correct reading 80 watts forward, with 20 reflected, equal to a net 60 watts.  And 60 watts is radiated by the antenna.  No power get reabsorbeds by the amp because it is presenting a congugate match.  i.e. any power coming back from the  antenna sees a perfect mismatch at the transmitter and gets re-reflected back to the antenna.  Explained 100 times better than I can by Walt Maxwell in his books "Reflections"  or maybe the current one is "Reflections III" something like that.  Anyway the point is, none of this rf power heats up the finals.

Re: wattage on k3 vs kpa500

Don Wilhelm-4
If I may, let me reinforce and paraphrase Ron's comments.
Today's transceivers are designed to work into a 50 ohm resistive load.
That means they will develop full power into a load which measures an
SWR = 1.0.
Now, most transmitters are designed to work properly into a SWR = 2.0
load - that means that they will develop full power output - however,
the efficiency may suffer, so the transmitter current draw may increase
when the load differs from a 1-1 SWR.
The power output will remain the same if the SWR is not 1-1, but there
will be more heat produced by the PA because the efficiency has been
reduced.
The reflected power is not dissipated in the finals (read the antenna
article on my website www.w3fpr.com), but the fact that the finals are
not operating at the full efficiency point, there will be increased heat
- that is just the way the laws of physics work.