"what was so provocative?" - The Answer

DOUGLAS ZWIEBEL
The top banner of the ad reads:

"Still using that K3?  You may just want to stick it on e-bay"

That is what I found to be rather provocative (lots of
"brass")....both in actually citing the model number of their "target"
and THEN saying to put it up for sale.

I feel that "provocative" is the correct term.

de Doug KR2Q

"Provocative" link not working

DOUGLAS ZWIEBEL
I have this link set up so anyone with the link can view it, but it is
apparently NOT working that way....sorry.

Anyone have a space to host this small pdf file?  I email it to you.

Doug KR2Q

Provocative Kenwood Advert working link here

DOUGLAS ZWIEBEL
Thanks to Lew K6LMP for posting this.  Once you get there, double
click the icon.

http://public.me.com/lewphelps

de Doug KR2Q

rather provocative advert from Kenwood

dhhdeh
  The 590's display seems to be a pukey green color.

Perhaps caused by it being 'green with K3 Envy'.

Does anyone really believe that Kenwood is really
inclined to again compete seriously in the HF market?

Way to go Aptos Gang!

73 de N1LQ-Dave

Re: "what was so provocative?" - The Answer

K6LMP
Not to mention the use of "stick it" rather than "sell it"....

that's what I found offensive.

lew k6lmp

On Jul 2, 2010, at 5:13 PM, DOUGLAS ZWIEBEL wrote:

> The top banner of the ad reads:
>
> "Still using that K3?  You may just want to stick it on e-bay"
>
> That is what I found to be rather provocative (lots of
> "brass")....both in actually citing the model number of their "target"
> and THEN saying to put it up for sale.
>
> I feel that "provocative" is the correct term.
>
> de Doug KR2Q

Re: "what was so provocative?" - The Answer

KK7P

> Not to mention the use of "stick it" rather than "sell it"....

We must be careful not to read too much into this sort of thing.  This
ad was placed in a UK magazine by a UK supplier targeting a UK market.

The meaning of many common English words often changes as one crosses
the borders of the USA., as I  quickly discovered the first time I
traveled overseas.

Back in 1972, when I held the callsign ZL2ACY, I found myself in the
company of a very conservative group of people.  There was a young child
present, perhaps 2 years old, and I complimented the parents, describing
him as "a cute little bug..r".  I was met with shocked stares and
gasps.  One elderly gentlemen drew me aside and explained the meaning of
this word in Kiwi society, which was quite different than it was in
American society at the time.  We were both surprised to discover this.

Upon this revelation, I humbly apologized to the group.

73,

Lyle KK7P

Re: "what was so provocative?" - The Answer

Don Wilhelm-4
I can vouch for the same thing as Lyle.  Several years ago, I was
married to a British citizen.  Not only were her words for things
slightly different, but I discovered when talking with her family and
others while visiting England, those things they found humorous and
those things they found alarming or offensive was quite different than
from my perspective.  I don't think I caused any social faux-pas with my
words, but then who knows.  The British mind works just a little bit
differently than those of us in the US, and there are many subtleties in
how words are used.  Many concepts are kept apart by a common language
:-) .  They use the Oxford dictionary and have no use for Webster!

Lyle Johnson wrote:
> We must be careful not to read too much into this sort of thing.  This
> ad was placed in a UK magazine by a UK supplier targeting a UK market.
>
> The meaning of many common English words often changes as one crosses
> the borders of the USA., as I  quickly discovered the first time I
> traveled overseas.

Re: "what was so provocative?" - The Answer

k6dgw
Don Wilhelm wrote:

> I can vouch for the same thing as Lyle.  Several years ago, I was
> married to a British citizen.  Not only were her words for things
> slightly different, but I discovered when talking with her family and
> others while visiting England, those things they found humorous and
> those things they found alarming or offensive was quite different than
> from my perspective.  I don't think I caused any social faux-pas with my
> words, but then who knows.  The British mind works just a little bit
> differently than those of us in the US, and there are many subtleties in
> how words are used.  Many concepts are kept apart by a common language
> :-) .  They use the Oxford dictionary and have no use for Webster!

Yes Don, how true.  Been in lots of other countries, got along OK in the
language for the easy things, but humor, sarcasm, and idle chatter can
be really hard.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2010 Cal QSO Party 2-3 Oct 2010
- www.cqp.org

Re: "what was so provocative?" - The Answer

Brett Howard
Reminds me of the first time a friend of mine asked if they could borrow
my rubber and promised to give it back when they were done... ;)

BTW a rubber is an eraser...

~Brett

On Fri, 2010-07-02 at 17:51 -0700, Lyle Johnson wrote:

> > Not to mention the use of "stick it" rather than "sell it"....
>
> We must be careful not to read too much into this sort of thing.  This
> ad was placed in a UK magazine by a UK supplier targeting a UK market.
>
> The meaning of many common English words often changes as one crosses
> the borders of the USA., as I  quickly discovered the first time I
> traveled overseas.
>
> Back in 1972, when I held the callsign ZL2ACY, I found myself in the
> company of a very conservative group of people.  There was a young child
> present, perhaps 2 years old, and I complimented the parents, describing
> him as "a cute little bug..r".  I was met with shocked stares and
> gasps.  One elderly gentlemen drew me aside and explained the meaning of
> this word in Kiwi society, which was quite different than it was in
> American society at the time.  We were both surprised to discover this.
>
> Upon this revelation, I humbly apologized to the group.
>
> 73,
>
> Lyle KK7P

Re: "what was so provocative?" - The Answer[END OF THREAD]

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
End of thread.

73,
Eric. WA6HHQ
List moderator
_..._

Re: Provocative Kenwood Advert working link here

N5GE
On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 17:33:21 -0400, DOUGLAS ZWIEBEL <[hidden email]>
wrote:

Oh! Wow!  It has ten Hz display resolution!

>Thanks to Lew K6LMP for posting this.  Once you get there, double
>click the icon.
>
>http://public.me.com/lewphelps
>

>de Doug KR2Q
>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: Provocative Kenwood Advert working link here

juergen piezo
Hi

I see no advantages over the K3, so why would you even consider this new model Kenwood? If it was a 1000 dollar radio that might  be a good a reason for a change.

As I see it the Kenwood has less  knobs and  functionality on its front panel than the K3.

The transmitter uses 12 volt devices so the IMD is probably going to be below acceptable standards.

It does not look like the new Kenwood  has  remote direct internet control like the TS480.

This is just a TS570S on steroids for the receiver, it aint gonna set the world on fire.

All I am waiting for now is Icoms down conversion radio. I would not be surprised if they released something like the IC706 with a down conversion receiver just to be  trendy. Despite what Icom says it will produce a down conversion radio. They had a good one the IC751A.

 It would be  hard for Icom too brag about receiver performance when this cheap lowly Kenwood will kick the crap out of its $10K IC78000, not a good look in the market place!

Stay tuned for the new movie, "Fiddler on the roofing filter"! It stars the 3 Samurai's

73
John

> Oh! Wow!  It has ten Hz display resolution!
>

> >Thanks to Lew K6LMP for posting this.  Once you
> get there, double
> >click the icon.
> >
> >http://public.me.com/lewphelps
> >

> >de Doug KR2Q
> >Post: mailto:[hidden email]
> >
> >This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> >Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: Provocative Kenwood Advert working link here

Jeff kb2m
What I don't like about the new Kenwood is that it doesn't have an IF out. I
think they shot themselves in the foot on that one.

73 Jeff kb2m

I see no advantages over the K3, so why would you even consider this new
model Kenwood? If it was a 1000 dollar radio that might  be a good a reason
for a change.

As I see it the Kenwood has less  knobs and  functionality on its front
panel than the K3.

The transmitter uses 12 volt devices so the IMD is probably going to be
below acceptable standards.

It does not look like the new Kenwood  has  remote direct internet control
like the TS480.

This is just a TS570S on steroids for the receiver, it aint gonna set the
world on fire.

All I am waiting for now is Icoms down conversion radio. I would not be
surprised if they released something like the IC706 with a down conversion
receiver just to be  trendy. Despite what Icom says it will produce a down
conversion radio. They had a good one the IC751A.

 It would be  hard for Icom too brag about receiver performance when this
cheap lowly Kenwood will kick the crap out of its $10K IC78000, not a good
look in the market place!

Stay tuned for the new movie, "Fiddler on the roofing filter"! It stars the
3 Samurai's

73
John

> Oh! Wow!  It has ten Hz display resolution!
>

> >Thanks to Lew K6LMP for posting this.  Once you
> get there, double
> >click the icon.
> >
> >http://public.me.com/lewphelps
> >

> >de Doug KR2Q
> >Post: mailto:[hidden email]
> >
> >This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> >Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: Provocative Kenwood Advert working link here

Brett Howard
Interesting point!  I talked to a lot of people at Seaside who decided
that the K3 wasn't their radio because it didn't have a built in "fish
finder" as many of them called panadapters...  This was usually said
by people who were seeing the P3 for the first time and were finally
considering the K3 as a radio they could now own because it has a
panadapter...  But boy with this radio not having an IF out people
won't even be able to use LP-PAN or anything like that to make it
happen...  Seems like adding a feature like an IF out probably
wouldn't have added too horribly much cost to things either...  But
hey everything is a trade off.. I'm sure they'll sell some!

~Brett (N7MG)

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 4:17 AM, Jeff KB2M <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What I don't like about the new Kenwood is that it doesn't have an IF out. I
> think they shot themselves in the foot on that one.
>
> 73 Jeff kb2m

Julian, G4ILO
That was an ad from a Kenwood dealer in the UK, in the latest RadCom. I think it is grossly misleading, however "ethics" and "UK ham radio dealer" are rarely used in the same sentence unless accompanied by the words "lack of".

I don't know whether the Kenwood has an IF out or not because I haven't seen a picture of the back panel but I bet it also doesn't have switchable RX antenna input/output, transverter input/output, or dual receivers. I'd also be pleasantly surprised if it has a true RS-232 control interface, isolated line in/out sockets or handles digital modes as well as the K3 does. All of those features are important to me, and no other radio south of the IC-7600 comes close to matching them. On top of that the K3 has the internal 2m option, which again I'm sure the Kenwood doesn't.

Unfortunately this hobby seems to have become fixated on receiver performance, despite the fact that for the kind of operating most people do, any of the rigs out there do a good enough job already. So if Kenwood does manage to match or better the K3's numbers, it will receive critical accolades far beyond what it deserves as an overall package.

Jeff kb2m wrote
What I don't like about the new Kenwood is that it doesn't have an IF out. I
think they shot themselves in the foot on that one.
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222 KX3 #110
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
* KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html

Provocative nonsense Kenwood Advert working link here

AD4C2009
I downloaded that pdf and saw it,only thing I see is a very unprofessional and gross way to do business,I wonder is that document is true or done by some sick brains out there who hate Elecraft,how come that could happen,"Stick it on ebay" ??? Have you seen guys any time Elecraft trashing out any radio built in Japan ? Of course not,because they are truly professionals  who don't need to go in that direction,the quality of our K3 is way beyond any stupid document like that.
Let see if that TS-590 will be the winner or not,lets wait for another professional american like Sherwood use his great lab and show us how good or bad that new Kenwood is,maybe the one who will have to be sold at ebay will be that 590.

AD4C

"If you see a woman handling a cell phone on her hands while she is driving,do please stay away from her.!!

wrote:

Oh! Wow!  It has ten Hz display resolution!

>Thanks to Lew K6LMP for posting this.  Once you get there, double
>click the icon.
>
>http://public.me.com/lewphelps
>

>de Doug KR2Q
>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Provocative nonsense Kenwood Advert working link here

Mike Reublin
  Professional amateur..... interesting concept.

And I'm staying away from anyone of ANY gender if they're driving and celling. ;-)

73, Mike NF4L

On 7/3/2010 9:55 AM, Hector Padron wrote:

> I downloaded that pdf and saw it,only thing I see is a very unprofessional and gross way to do business,I wonder is that document is true or done by some sick brains out there who hate Elecraft,how come that could happen,"Stick it on ebay" ??? Have you seen guys any time Elecraft trashing out any radio built in Japan ? Of course not,because they are truly professionals  who don't need to go in that direction,the quality of our K3 is way beyond any stupid document like that.
> Let see if that TS-590 will be the winner or not,lets wait for another professional american like Sherwood use his great lab and show us how good or bad that new Kenwood is,maybe the one who will have to be sold at ebay will be that 590.
>
> AD4C
>

> "If you see a woman handling a cell phone on her hands while she is driving,do please stay away from her.!!

Ted Roycraft
Apparently this advertisement is the work of some UK vendor and not
Kenwood so let's hold off blaming Kenwood for this.

73, Ted, W2ZK

On 7/3/2010 9:55 AM, Hector Padron wrote:

> I downloaded that pdf and saw it,only thing I see is a very unprofessional and gross way to do business,I wonder is that document is true or done by some sick brains out there who hate Elecraft,how come that could happen,"Stick it on ebay" ??? Have you seen guys any time Elecraft trashing out any radio built in Japan ? Of course not,because they are truly professionals  who don't need to go in that direction,the quality of our K3 is way beyond any stupid document like that.
> Let see if that TS-590 will be the winner or not,lets wait for another professional american like Sherwood use his great lab and show us how good or bad that new Kenwood is,maybe the one who will have to be sold at ebay will be that 590.
>
> AD4C
>

> "If you see a woman handling a cell phone on her hands while she is driving,do please stay away from her.!!

Most likely it is,I doubt that Kenwood with a very good reputation for years would do that.

AD4C

"If you see a driver handling a cell phone on her/his hands while driving,do please stay away from that vehicle,its a moving bomb.Your life is at danger.Keep yourself and your family alive"

Apparently this advertisement is the work of some UK vendor and not
Kenwood so let's hold off blaming Kenwood for this.

73, Ted, W2ZK

On 7/3/2010 9:55 AM, Hector Padron wrote:

> I downloaded that pdf and saw it,only thing I see is a very unprofessional and gross way to do business,I wonder is that document is true or done by some sick brains out there who hate Elecraft,how come that could happen,"Stick it on ebay" ??? Have you seen guys any time Elecraft trashing out any radio built in Japan ? Of course not,because they are truly professionals  who don't need to go in that direction,the quality of our K3 is way beyond any stupid document like that.
> Let see if that TS-590 will be the winner or not,lets wait for another professional american like Sherwood use his great lab and show us how good or bad that new Kenwood is,maybe the one who will have to be sold at ebay will be that 590.
>
> AD4C
>

> "If you see a woman handling a cell phone on her hands while she is driving,do please stay away from her.!!

The Smiths

At this point, who cares who they blame.. This group has become so far off track with both reality and Elecraft topics that it would be ridiculous to ask for any less.  Let them run wild until they have driven anyone with ANY technical knowledge off of this site.  Then the appliance Ops can unite in harmony once and for all. Viva la Static mat/headphone topics for ever.