winding toroids

Jeremiah McCarthy
You do not want to pull the wire too tight when winding toroids...Copper wire is malleable and will stretch, possibly separating it from the enamel and allowing the enamel to flake off...

Jerry, wa2dkg

Re: winding toroids

Mychael Morohovich
 You do not want to pull the wire too tight when winding toroids...Copper
wire is malleable and will stretch, possibly separating it from the enamel
and allowing the enamel to flake off...  Jerry, wa2dkg

In the thousands upon thousands of toroids that I have hand wound while
supplying toroid sets to Elecraft builders, I have never personally had this
problem. I have had the wire break on the occasion while trying to snug up a
toroids lead using too much force for the gauge of wire with which I am
working [try working with KSB2 toroids immediately after winding toroids for
the KAT100 QRO tuner- hi!], but I have never had enamel flake off despite
the fact that I sometimes exert enough hand force to break cores,
particularly those using the heavier guage wire.

I think that it is important to realize, however, that these toroids do not
have to be wound with their windings absolutely flat against their toroidal
cores. Hand snug is plenty good for our HF applications and is all that is
expected of the builder. As the Toroid Guy, I am supplying a professional
service and therefore strive to provide toroids that are as perfect as
possible in every way. Less than perfect toroids in terms of appearance- so
long as the stripping and tinning is performed competently so as to assure
good electrical connectivity when they are soldered to the PCB- will
certainly suffice toward helping to get those kits on the air.

Happy Building!

Mychael AA3WF
K2 #1025

Re: winding toroids

Earl Ritchie-2
I have wound quite a few coils and never tight enough to stretch the wire.
However, I find the toroids supplied with kit # 4509 very sharp on the edges
and the red wire especially easy to strip.  I didn't need any iron with a
hot blob of solder to strip off the insulationas in the past

Earl, VE3FBK
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] winding toroids