wiring the KX1 paddle

AF6NI
I just finished assembling my first KX1 paddle. Wiring the paddle boards to the installed 3.5mm phone plug was challenging to say the least. Has anyone figured any practices to make this easier? I think there may be a second KX1 in ,my future and I want to be prepared.
Thanks.
Joe

Re: wiring the KX1 paddle

Don Wilhelm-4
Joe,

I have done many of them, and while soldering "down in the hole" to the
connector pin is a bit of a challenge, I have not found a better way.
Do not try to put the wire through the hole in the lug, it is adequate
to dress it along the side of the lug (make sure it is touching) and
solder with a slender tip.

On 5/4/2012 2:56 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> I just finished assembling my first KX1 paddle. Wiring the paddle boards to
> the installed 3.5mm phone plug was challenging to say the least. Has anyone
> figured any practices to make this easier? I think there may be a second KX1
> in ,my future and I want to be prepared.
> Thanks.
> Joe

Re: wiring the KX1 paddle

AF6NI
Thanks Don. The challenge wasn't as much the soldering, that was pretty easy. The challenge was getting the wires connected to the terminals on the plug.

73
Joe

Re: wiring the KX1 paddle

Stan Gibbs, KR7C
I just finished building the KXPD1 paddle for my KX1.  After examining the situation, I really felt that having to solder the wires to the plug after the paddles were on the body would be unnecessarily difficult.

I decided that it would be much easier to attach the wires to the plug first and work on the proper routing of the wires to the paddle circuit boards with the stereo plug inserted in the body of the paddle.  I did a lot of position testing of the paddle circuit boards and wire bending, but the results were very nice, and I had plenty of room to work.

I think it was a very straightforward way to assemble the KXPD1.
73, Stan - KR7C