# 5607 first contact QRP!

Dale - K7DNH
While on a business trip to Lake Havasau City, AZ I made my first ever QRP contact this evening, and with my newly assembled KX3 # 5607 with W1AW/4 in Georgia.  Using 5 watts and received "59 - nice signal for QRP from out west". Of course he has a beam pointed to the west so that helped a great deal.. but I was still pretty excited about it! Took me about 15 minutes to get through the "west coast wall" but that is to be expected.

Now to start learning where QRP folks hang out in the bands. I did join the KX3 yahoo group and looking forward to learning more about QRP.

Thanks for letting me beat my chest a little.

Dale
K7DNH

Re: # 5607 first contact QRP!

Dave-5
Try these frequencies as a starting point. These are the popular CW QRP
frequencies for the HF bands.

1.843MHz or 1.836MHz
3.560MHz
7.030MHz
10.106MHz or 10.116MHz
14.060MHz
18.096MHz
21.060MHz
24.906MHz
28.060MHz

There may be others as well.

Dave (G0DJA)

> Now to start learning where QRP folks hang out in the bands. I did join
> the
> KX3 yahoo group and looking forward to learning more about QRP.
>
> Thanks for letting me beat my chest a little.
>
> Dale
> K7DNH

Re: # 5607 first contact QRP!

Matt Zilmer-3
I've had good luck with the CW freqs Dave listed below.  Some of the
QRP SSB freqs include:
1.910
3.985
7.285
14.285
21.385
28.885

73,
matt W6NIA

On Wed, 5 Feb 2014 08:46:33 -0000, you wrote:

>Try these frequencies as a starting point. These are the popular CW QRP
>frequencies for the HF bands.
>
>1.843MHz or 1.836MHz
>3.560MHz
>7.030MHz
>10.106MHz or 10.116MHz
>14.060MHz
>18.096MHz
>21.060MHz
>24.906MHz
>28.060MHz
>
>There may be others as well.
>
>Dave (G0DJA)

Re: # 5607 first contact QRP!

EricJ-2
There are lots of "hangouts", but they are kind of limiting. They are
handy when you are rockbound, or when you're collecting paper for QRP
club awards. But why restrict yourself to a few channels when you have a
rig that isn't restricted. That's where QRP signals belong--from one end
of the band to another.

I rarely even mention that I'm QRP unless it comes up and I get a chance
to convince someone to try it and give them a signal report. I don't
force someone to try to ragchew when I'm 339, but if someone is 58 or
better, I'm usually strong enough to get an acceptable signal report and
have a casual QSO.

Try some of the weak signal digital modes too. When the objective is
solid communication and not signal strength, they produce amazing
results with VERY little power. You have a solid rig for running them, too.

Anyway, enjoy the rig. It will be good company on business trips.

Eric
KE6US

On 2/5/2014 12:40 AM, Dale - K7DNH wrote:

> While on a business trip to Lake Havasau City, AZ I made my first ever QRP
> contact this evening, and with my newly assembled KX3 # 5607 with W1AW/4 in
> Georgia.  Using 5 watts and received "59 - nice signal for QRP from out
> west". Of course he has a beam pointed to the west so that helped a great
> deal.. but I was still pretty excited about it! Took me about 15 minutes to
> get through the "west coast wall" but that is to be expected.
>
> Now to start learning where QRP folks hang out in the bands. I did join the
> KX3 yahoo group and looking forward to learning more about QRP.
>
> Thanks for letting me beat my chest a little.
>
> Dale
> K7DNH

Re: # 5607 first contact QRP!

Dave-5
I wasn't suggesting that they were the only places where people used QRP,
but they are the places that you are likely to hear other QRP operators, so
they aere good places to start.

Likewise, I usually tune up and down the band looking for whoever is around,
QRP or not.  I also look out for CWOps members, as I'm also a member of that
group, and they tend to wander about all over the bands. ;-)

Dave (G0DJA)

> There are lots of "hangouts", but they are kind of limiting. They are
> handy when you are rockbound, or when you're collecting paper for QRP club
> awards. But why restrict yourself to a few channels when you have a rig
> that isn't restricted. That's where QRP signals belong--from one end of
> the band to another.

Re: # 5607 first contact QRP!

W1IS
I have been running QRP for years and never look for QRP hangouts.  You will be surprised how folks you work will be surprised that you are running QRP.  DXCC is not only possible but not that difficult with a good QRP rig like the KX3.  Just ham and enjoy.  Welcome to the QRP fold.

Bob
W1IS

Re: # 5607 first contact QRP!

Phil Hystad-3
I think a good way to "test" whether QRP actually works or not is to establish
a contact with someone say using 100 watts and get a signal report (RST) and
then drop your power output to 1 watt or maybe 2 or 5 watts and then ask for
a signal report again.  I am always surprised at how good the reports are after
dropping power.  This is the main thing that got me into QRP in the first place.
Until then, I never thought that you could make such good contacts but then again
I was a bit naive on the topic too.  My first QRP rig was the Norcal 40A and my
favorite was the KX1 until the KX3 came along but I still like the KX1 and even
use my Norcal 40A from time to time.

73, phil, K7PEH

On Feb 5, 2014, at 10:58 AM, W1IS <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been running QRP for years and never look for QRP hangouts.  You will
> be surprised how folks you work will be surprised that you are running QRP.
> DXCC is not only possible but not that difficult with a good QRP rig like
> the KX3.  Just ham and enjoy.  Welcome to the QRP fold.
>
> Bob
> W1IS

Re: # 5607 first contact QRP!

Jim Brown-10
On 2/5/2014 10:58 AM, W1IS wrote:
> I have been running QRP for years and never look for QRP hangouts.  You will
> be surprised how folks you work will be surprised that you are running QRP.
> DXCC is not only possible but not that difficult with a good QRP rig like
> the KX3.

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but it's the antennas and the operators (on
both ends) that makes QRP work (or not).

73, Jim K9YC

[KX1] In Praise of KX1

Doug Turnbull

Friends,
     Tonight I managed to work FT5ZM using the KX1 at 4 watts output.
Okay the Yagi is a big help but boy does this add zest to the hobby.
This is 1940 miles per watt; what a sweet wee radio.   It made it through
the pile up.

                 73 Doug EI2CN

Re: # 5607 first contact QRP!

EricJ-2
Sorry to point out the obvious, but that could be said of any power
level. And add band conditions at any particular point in time. There's
nothing magic about 5 watts out and there's no more magic at 100 watts
out. 100 watts will get out some times when 5 watts won't, but 5 watts
(or far less) will get out a lot more times than most hams realize. I
think that's all most QRPers are saying.

Eric
KE6US

On 2/5/2014 12:18 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
> Sorry to be a wet blanket, but it's the antennas and the operators (on
> both ends) that makes QRP work (or not).
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Re: # 5607 first contact QRP!

Vic Rosenthal
Actually, many QRPers seem to be saying that it's /easy/ to work the
world with 5 watts and a crummy antenna, and it's sinful to use more
power, or, God forbid, a beam.

It is /hard/ to work DX with 5 watts and a low dipole (or worse, a
Buddipole or similar antenna). This can be very frustrating to new hams
who have yet to develop the operating skills that make this possible.

QRP is great fun, but the 13 dB between 5 and 100 watts is very
significant. And the difference between a short, loaded vertical and a
beam can be even more significant.

On 2/5/2014 1:34 PM, EricJ wrote:

> Sorry to point out the obvious, but that could be said of any power
> level. And add band conditions at any particular point in time. There's
> nothing magic about 5 watts out and there's no more magic at 100 watts
> out. 100 watts will get out some times when 5 watts won't, but 5 watts
> (or far less) will get out a lot more times than most hams realize. I
> think that's all most QRPers are saying.
>
> Eric
> KE6US
>

> On 2/5/2014 12:18 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
>> Sorry to be a wet blanket, but it's the antennas and the operators (on
>> both ends) that makes QRP work (or not).
>>
>> 73, Jim K9YC

Vic, K2VCO

Fresno CA

http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/

Re: # 5607 first contact QRP!

Millerhill
You're right of course. It takes some time to get comfortable with QRP and its limitations, and you're right, that it can be a source of frustration for many new hams.  Your are also absolutely right that when you ad a crappy antenna to the mix, it can be very frustrating indeed. But that's the fun of learning and discovering all that is ham radio.

I started with an OHR 100a 40m rig and a homebrew magloop antenna set up on a tripod in my kitchen. I was happy as a clam and simply didn't know what I was missing and found plenty of QSO's to keep me occupied while I figured out what it was all about. I had other ham friends telling me that I was setting myself up for disappointment if I didn't get at least a 100W radio, but I stuck it out and never felt that I was missing much. I still feel that way, and I'm still having fun.

72/73
Steve

Steve Roberts-W1SFR
Sudbury, VT
http://www.kx3helper.com
Fists, CW OPS, QRP ARCI, SKCC, NEQRP, NAQCC, FP, ARRL, Green Mountain Wireless Society
(802)779-7489 (cell)

On Feb 5, 2014, at 5:10 PM, Vic Rosenthal K2VCO wrote:

> Actually, many QRPers seem to be saying that it's /easy/ to work the world with 5 watts and a crummy antenna, and it's sinful to use more power, or, God forbid, a beam.
>
> It is /hard/ to work DX with 5 watts and a low dipole (or worse, a Buddipole or similar antenna). This can be very frustrating to new hams who have yet to develop the operating skills that make this possible.
>
> QRP is great fun, but the 13 dB between 5 and 100 watts is very significant. And the difference between a short, loaded vertical and a beam can be even more significant.
>
> On 2/5/2014 1:34 PM, EricJ wrote:
>> Sorry to point out the obvious, but that could be said of any power
>> level. And add band conditions at any particular point in time. There's
>> nothing magic about 5 watts out and there's no more magic at 100 watts
>> out. 100 watts will get out some times when 5 watts won't, but 5 watts
>> (or far less) will get out a lot more times than most hams realize. I
>> think that's all most QRPers are saying.
>>
>> Eric
>> KE6US
>>

>> On 2/5/2014 12:18 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
>>> Sorry to be a wet blanket, but it's the antennas and the operators (on
>>> both ends) that makes QRP work (or not).
>>>
>>> 73, Jim K9YC

> Vic, K2VCO
>
> Fresno CA
>
> http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/

Re: # 5607 first contact QRP!

Don Wilhelm-4
Yes, there are many QRPer's who also frown on beams and other efficient
antennas, but I disagree with that philosophy.  Why 'shoot yourself in
the foot' with a compromise antenna unless your physical conditions
dictate that compromise as a necessity (HOA restrictions, portable
operation, etc.)

If you operate with 5 watts and an antenna with 3 dB gain, you will have
the equivalent of a 10 watt signal, and if you can achieve an antenna
with 10 dB gain, you have the equivalent of a 50 watt signal into a
dipole. (yes, I know those are extremes).

Much of the QRP work with compromise antennas is a problem on the
receive side.  If you cannot hear them, you cannot work them.  So why
handicap yourself with inefficient antennas.  Check QRPARCI - you will
find no credits or deductions in their contests for antenna
inefficiency.  Use the best antenna that you have for the task.

QRP operation will increase your operating skills - listen, listen and
listen, figure out the other stations habits, operate split if
necessary, and call when you think your signal will be heard.

On 2/5/2014 6:52 PM, Stephen Roberts wrote:
> You're right of course. It takes some time to get comfortable with QRP and its limitations, and you're right, that it can be a source of frustration for many new hams.  Your are also absolutely right that when you ad a crappy antenna to the mix, it can be very frustrating indeed. But that's the fun of learning and discovering all that is ham radio.
>
> I started with an OHR 100a 40m rig and a homebrew magloop antenna set up on a tripod in my kitchen. I was happy as a clam and simply didn't know what I was missing and found plenty of QSO's to keep me occupied while I figured out what it was all about. I had other ham friends telling me that I was setting myself up for disappointment if I didn't get at least a 100W radio, but I stuck it out and never felt that I was missing much. I still feel that way, and I'm still having fun.

Re: # 5607 first contact QRP!

EricJ-2
And that's an important point, Don. A poor antenna hooked to a 5 watt
rig is no different than a poor antenna hooked to a 100 watt rig...in
receive. Power sometimes gives you an advantage on transmit under
marginal conditions, but it does nothing on receive as you mention. Then
you run into the classic "can't work 'em if you can't hear them" barrier
no matter how much power you run.

I have three boatanchors (2NT, DX40 and Ranger) and they run around
50-65 watts INPUT. That's what 90% of hams ran in the 50s and 60s and
that's only an S unit or so better than my K1 or K2/10.

Anyway, I said what I wanted to say which is most of the argument
applies to any power level, not just QRP. Part 97 says run no more power
than necessary. QRP meets that criteria for the majority of operating.

Eric
KE6US

On 2/5/2014 4:23 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Yes, there are many QRPer's who also frown on beams and other
> efficient antennas, but I disagree with that philosophy.  Why 'shoot
> yourself in the foot' with a compromise antenna unless your physical
> conditions dictate that compromise as a necessity (HOA restrictions,
> portable operation, etc.)
>
> If you operate with 5 watts and an antenna with 3 dB gain, you will
> have the equivalent of a 10 watt signal, and if you can achieve an
> antenna with 10 dB gain, you have the equivalent of a 50 watt signal
> into a dipole. (yes, I know those are extremes).
>
> Much of the QRP work with compromise antennas is a problem on the
> receive side.  If you cannot hear them, you cannot work them.  So why
> handicap yourself with inefficient antennas.  Check QRPARCI - you will
> find no credits or deductions in their contests for antenna
> inefficiency.  Use the best antenna that you have for the task.
>
> QRP operation will increase your operating skills - listen, listen and
> listen, figure out the other stations habits, operate split if
> necessary, and call when you think your signal will be heard.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 2/5/2014 6:52 PM, Stephen Roberts wrote:
>> You're right of course. It takes some time to get comfortable with
>> QRP and its limitations, and you're right, that it can be a source of
>> frustration for many new hams.  Your are also absolutely right that
>> when you ad a crappy antenna to the mix, it can be very frustrating
>> indeed. But that's the fun of learning and discovering all that is
>> ham radio.
>>
>> I started with an OHR 100a 40m rig and a homebrew magloop antenna set
>> up on a tripod in my kitchen. I was happy as a clam and simply didn't
>> know what I was missing and found plenty of QSO's to keep me occupied
>> while I figured out what it was all about. I had other ham friends
>> telling me that I was setting myself up for disappointment if I
>> didn't get at least a 100W radio, but I stuck it out and never felt
>> that I was missing much. I still feel that way, and I'm still having
>> fun.

Re: # 5607 first contact QRP!

Dave Barr-2
QRP works!  Bottom line is that if you want a lot of DX contacts, you
need at least a dipole.  With a K2 built in '99, a dipole and a
tribander (bad qrp word) K2YG has worked 261 countries at 5 watts on
rtty and 108 with 1 watt.  Many of these are on 40, 17 and 12 meters
with only the dipole, such as VQ9 on 40 with 5w and VU on 12 with one
watt.  CW is even easier, but SSB is tougher.  So, throw up a wire with
open feed if possible, even indoors (with coax feed) if you can attach
it to the house ridge pole, and avoid verticals and small antennas.
Then, add patience and persistence.

73, Dave, K2YG

On 2/6/2014 12:02 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 25
> Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 18:11:58 -0800
> From: EricJ<[hidden email]>
> To:[hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] # 5607 first contact QRP!
>
> And that's an important point, Don. A poor antenna hooked to a 5 watt
> rig is no different than a poor antenna hooked to a 100 watt rig...in
> receive. Power sometimes gives you an advantage on transmit under
> marginal conditions, but it does nothing on receive as you mention. Then
> you run into the classic "can't work 'em if you can't hear them" barrier
> no matter how much power you run.
>
> I have three boatanchors (2NT, DX40 and Ranger) and they run around
> 50-65 watts INPUT. That's what 90% of hams ran in the 50s and 60s and
> that's only an S unit or so better than my K1 or K2/10.
>
> Anyway, I said what I wanted to say which is most of the argument
> applies to any power level, not just QRP. Part 97 says run no more power
> than necessary. QRP meets that criteria for the majority of operating.
>
> Eric
> KE6US
>
> On 2/5/2014 4:23 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>> >Yes, there are many QRPer's who also frown on beams and other
>> >efficient antennas, but I disagree with that philosophy.  Why 'shoot
>> >yourself in the foot' with a compromise antenna unless your physical
>> >conditions dictate that compromise as a necessity (HOA restrictions,
>> >portable operation, etc.)
>> >
>> >If you operate with 5 watts and an antenna with 3 dB gain, you will
>> >have the equivalent of a 10 watt signal, and if you can achieve an
>> >antenna with 10 dB gain, you have the equivalent of a 50 watt signal
>> >into a dipole. (yes, I know those are extremes).
>> >
>> >Much of the QRP work with compromise antennas is a problem on the
>> >receive side.  If you cannot hear them, you cannot work them.  So why
>> >handicap yourself with inefficient antennas.  Check QRPARCI - you will
>> >find no credits or deductions in their contests for antenna
>> >inefficiency.  Use the best antenna that you have for the task.
>> >
>> >QRP operation will increase your operating skills - listen, listen and
>> >listen, figure out the other stations habits, operate split if
>> >necessary, and call when you think your signal will be heard.
>> >
>> >73,
>> >Don W3FPR

Re: # 5607 first contact QRP!

Doug Turnbull
Dave,
    Verticals with proper radial systems work just fine.   People even do
amazing things with trap verticals and no more that a ground-rod but this is
torture.   Get that dipole up at least a half wavelength and it will sing.
If you can put up a beam no one should take this as a negative.    I do
respect those working with dipoles in their attics - they are a hardy lot.

     Your QRP total is impressive.    I think you a patient man and good
operator.

                  73 Doug EI2CN

> [...]

>> >portable operation, etc.)
>> >
>> >If you operate with 5 watts and an antenna with 3 dB gain, you will
>> >have the equivalent of a 10 watt signal, and if you can achieve an
>> >antenna with 10 dB gain, you have the equivalent of a 50 watt signal
>> >into a dipole. (yes, I know those are extremes).
>> >
>> >Much of the QRP work with compromise antennas is a problem on the
>> >receive side.  If you cannot hear them, you cannot work them.  So why
>> >handicap yourself with inefficient antennas.  Check QRPARCI - you will
>> >find no credits or deductions in their contests for antenna
>> >inefficiency.  Use the best antenna that you have for the task.
>> >
>> >QRP operation will increase your operating skills - listen, listen and
>> >listen, figure out the other stations habits, operate split if
>> >necessary, and call when you think your signal will be heard.

Re: # 5607 first contact QRP!

Bill Frantz
I actually came to enjoy non-line-of-sight ham radio through QRP
operations. I had an Icom 706 MKIIg with dipoles for 40M and
80M, but made very few QSOs. I then went to the West Valley
Amateur Radio Association's field day operation on Mora hill,
which was QRP/battery. I was introduced to digital operation,
specifically PSK31 and a whole new world opened up to me. I had
fun actually operating the radio for the first time!

So I went back home, got a SignaLink USB, downloaded cocoaModem
and started running PSK on the Icom. For the first time I was
communicating with people who weren't already my friends using
modes other than repeaters and simplex in the wilderness. And I
could make QSOs at the lowest power the Icom offered.

I would like to find ways to attract the many hams whose
operation is limited to line-of-sight to some of the other
options ham radio offers. I have one idea, but it's for a
following email.

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV

Re: # 5607 first contact QRP!

Stephen Selberg
Bill,

I had kind of dropped out of radio until someone showed me qrp psk31.
Really regained my interest and brought me back into the hobby...

Since then I picked up a KX3 along with a number of other toys. After
reading some of the other replies on the thread, all I can say is I've
had a blast working qrp with the kx3 on not only CW and digital, but ssb as
well using some real "garbage" compromise antennas. Most of the fun for me
is to see who I can work qrp with such horrible antennas. Don't get me
wrong, I'd love to have a beam to help me out. But for now I'll enjoy
experimenting with different types of antennas while portable.

Anyways, congrats to the owner of kx3 #5607 and ur first qrp contact.

73,

Steve KS6PD

On Thursday, February 6, 2014, Bill Frantz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I actually came to enjoy non-line-of-sight ham radio through QRP
> operations. I had an Icom 706 MKIIg with dipoles for 40M and 80M, but made
> very few QSOs. I then went to the West Valley Amateur Radio Association's
> field day operation on Mora hill, which was QRP/battery. I was introduced
> to digital operation, specifically PSK31 and a whole new world opened up to
> me. I had fun actually operating the radio for the first time!
>
> So I went back home, got a SignaLink USB, downloaded cocoaModem and
> started running PSK on the Icom. For the first time I was communicating
> with people who weren't already my friends using modes other than repeaters
> and simplex in the wilderness. And I could make QSOs at the lowest power
> the Icom offered.
>
> I would like to find ways to attract the many hams whose operation is
> limited to line-of-sight to some of the other options ham radio offers. I
> have one idea, but it's for a following email.
>
> Cheers - Bill, AE6JV

Re: # 5607 first contact QRP!

Jim Low man
Sounds like a testament to your skill as an operator, Steve.

Anyone with money can have a great antenna farm, but that doesn't make
him a good operator.

Heck, there's a group out this way in the Phoenix area who routinely
goes out to a park and tries to load up lawn chairs, umbrellas and the like.
I understand that someone once loaded up a school bus.

73 de Jim - AD6CW

On 2/6/2014 10:47 PM, Stephen Selberg wrote:

> Bill,
>
> I had kind of dropped out of radio until someone showed me qrp psk31.
> Really regained my interest and brought me back into the hobby...
>
> Since then I picked up a KX3 along with a number of other toys. After
> reading some of the other replies on the thread, all I can say is I've
> had a blast working qrp with the kx3 on not only CW and digital, but ssb as
> well using some real "garbage" compromise antennas. Most of the fun for me
> is to see who I can work qrp with such horrible antennas. Don't get me
> wrong, I'd love to have a beam to help me out. But for now I'll enjoy
> experimenting with different types of antennas while portable.
>
> Anyways, congrats to the owner of kx3 #5607 and ur first qrp contact.
>
> 73,
>
> Steve KS6PD

Re: # 5607 first contact QRP!

Jean-François | VA2SS