A confession

Gary NL7Y
I'm Gary and I'm a ham radio operator. This winter I bought my second K3/P3 to replace a mediocre new TS-990. After some self generated issues with the speaker output, the sub-receiver VFO, and hard reset, I sent the K3 back to Elecraft for regeneration. It was fixed in a timely manner and returned. Thank you Elecraft.

In the meantime I reverted to my trusty two...a Kenwood TS-590 and Yaesu MK-V Field. Both work well, are simple to use and maintain, and have their place in my shack. Recently FT5ZM was monitored and worked with the 590...good S5 copy on both but the key was hooked to the 590, so it got the nod. Next to VK0IR, that's a long haul via Grey Line from Interior KL7.

Now the confession. The K3 still sits in its unopened box, next to the P3/SVGA in its. I keep asking myself, will I ever remove and use them again? I'm not a SDR or computer enthusiast, and the reason I got rid of the first K3/P3 was having to deal with the occasional O/S bumps, frequent updates, and relatively complex user interface for both. Being a slave to a piece of equipment no longer interests me.

I'm still working on a solution. Anyone else go through this to their satisfaction?

73, Gary NL7Y

Re: A confession

Bob K6UJ
Gary,

It is difficult to determine what you are trying to accomplish with your post.  I cannot decide
if it is intended to be humorous or you are attempting to solicit response by trolling.
In either case, to make it more realistic,  I suggest you state that you replaced
a TS-590 and a Yaesu MK-V Field with the K3/P3 rather than replacing a TS-990
with a K3/P3 as your first sentence indicates.

73,
Bob
K6UJ

On Feb 8, 2014, at 7:51 PM, Gary NL7Y wrote:

> I'm Gary and I'm a ham radio operator. This winter I bought my second K3/P3
> to replace a mediocre new TS-990. After some self generated issues with the
> speaker output, the sub-receiver VFO, and hard reset, I sent the K3 back to
> Elecraft for regeneration. It was fixed in a timely manner and returned.
> Thank you Elecraft.
>
> In the meantime I reverted to my trusty two...a Kenwood TS-590 and Yaesu
> MK-V Field. Both work well, are simple to use and maintain, and have their
> place in my shack. Recently FT5ZM was monitored and worked with the
> 590...good S5 copy on both but the key was hooked to the 590, so it got the
> nod. Next to VK0IR, that's a long haul via Grey Line from Interior KL7.
>
> Now the confession. The K3 still sits in its unopened box, next to the
> P3/SVGA in its. I keep asking myself, will I ever remove and use them again?
> I'm not a SDR or computer enthusiast, and the reason I got rid of the first
> K3/P3 was having to deal with the occasional O/S bumps, frequent updates,
> and relatively complex user interface for both. Being a slave to a piece of
> equipment no longer interests me.
>
> I'm still working on a solution. Anyone else go through this to their
> satisfaction?
>
> 73, Gary NL7Y

Re: A confession

David Gilbert

 From everything I know the TS-590 is an excellent rig, especially for
the money, and fit for virtually any competent station.  But here's what
I gather from your post:

a.  You really didn't know how to use your K3 without breaking it.
b.  You prefer a rig that can't be improved with updates because it's
simpler that way
c.  An essentially set-and-forget- menu system confuses you

If there was any other point to your post, please clarify.

Dave   AB7E

On 2/8/2014 8:51 PM, Gary NL7Y wrote:

> I'm Gary and I'm a ham radio operator. This winter I bought my second K3/P3
> to replace a mediocre new TS-990. After some self generated issues with the
> speaker output, the sub-receiver VFO, and hard reset, I sent the K3 back to
> Elecraft for regeneration. It was fixed in a timely manner and returned.
> Thank you Elecraft.
>
> In the meantime I reverted to my trusty two...a Kenwood TS-590 and Yaesu
> MK-V Field. Both work well, are simple to use and maintain, and have their
> place in my shack. Recently FT5ZM was monitored and worked with the
> 590...good S5 copy on both but the key was hooked to the 590, so it got the
> nod. Next to VK0IR, that's a long haul via Grey Line from Interior KL7.
>
> Now the confession. The K3 still sits in its unopened box, next to the
> P3/SVGA in its. I keep asking myself, will I ever remove and use them again?
> I'm not a SDR or computer enthusiast, and the reason I got rid of the first
> K3/P3 was having to deal with the occasional O/S bumps, frequent updates,
> and relatively complex user interface for both. Being a slave to a piece of
> equipment no longer interests me.
>
> I'm still working on a solution. Anyone else go through this to their
> satisfaction?
>
> 73, Gary NL7Y

Re: A confession

Gary NL7Y
Thanks to all, including Wayne N6KR, for commenting on their experience and suggestions for continued use of the K3/P3.

Despite my experience and ability to read the OM, I had some issues with the audio output connections and 2nd VFO control. It was recommended to me to return the rig for a rebirth because I hadn't used the Utility program and saved the original factory configuration before a hard reset. Its consequences wasn't a deal breaker, and Elecraft treated me very well as always getting the radio back operating properly.

My conundrum is how the K3 (and work in progress P3 with SVGA-keyboard enabled software) will exceed the performance of my TS-590, MK-V Field, or unmentioned IC-765. I'm not a troll as some have suggested (my skin is tougher than yours), but a rather basic person given to operating rather than idly fussing with electronics.

I've owned and/or operated many radios over the last 20 some years and am very familiar with my second K3/P3. The question remains for me to answer: will they both still be in a box a month from now? And if so, why not?

Thanks for any comments either directly or here. I'm looking for perspective on the Elecraft products versus others some have used.

73, Gary NL7Y

Re: A confession

Evert Bakker (PA2KW)
Hello Gary,

I've used some radio's the last 34 years.......

Once all parameters are set to personal convience, you never have to dig the
menu's again.
The most important controls which are nescessary are there, and easy
accessible.
(I was running one of these wonderfull FT1000-MK5 radios during the PACC
contest, oh man, these controls, the overview, the size.......I hate that)
Don't worry about software. Don't update the firmware if you are happy with
an older version (Don't fix it if it ain't broken).
Think out of the box, and get this K3 out of it as well.
Play the radio, and you are going to love and even prefer this K3, I'm
sure.....

73's, Evert PA2KW

Thanks for any comments either directly or here. I'm looking for perspective
on the Elecraft products versus others some have used.

73, Gary NL7Y

Re: A confession

Bill-3
I have been an op for well over 50 years and have used most everything
out there at one time or another. What you are currently using boils
down to only a few topics:

1. Does it perform as  you desire (do the job for you)?
2. Does its operation (complex or simple) please you?
3. Specific to you - does the rig offer a reasonable cost to performance
ratio?

Rig choice is personal to each of us and certainly should not be based
solely upon the remarks/advice of others.

Bill W2BLC K-Line (??)

Re: A confession

Stephen Selberg
Gary,

I wish I had the money to have your problem of having a K3 sitting in a box
and what to do with it :-)

Like someone else mentioned, I'll be happy to take it off your hands and
test it out for you to make sure Elecraft sent it back in tip top shape.
Hihi

73,

Steve KS6PD

On Sunday, February 9, 2014, Bill W2BLC <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been an op for well over 50 years and have used most everything out
> there at one time or another. What you are currently using boils down to
> only a few topics:
>
> 1. Does it perform as  you desire (do the job for you)?
> 2. Does its operation (complex or simple) please you?
> 3. Specific to you - does the rig offer a reasonable cost to performance
> ratio?
>
> Rig choice is personal to each of us and certainly should not be based
> solely upon the remarks/advice of others.
>
> Bill W2BLC K-Line (??)

Re: A confession

Vic Rosenthal
The K3 will work fine if you never update the firmware. You should also
not need to access the menu in normal operation. I am a person who likes
to twiddle things -- you may not be. But it isn't necessary.

The K3 will provide much better performance than the transceivers that
you mention below in situations where there are strong signals close to
a desired signal. If you don't do an A/B comparison you might not notice
this -- or, it may not be important for the kind of operating you do.

It also has a feature which the other transceivers do not have, which is
the ability to do true double-diversity reception. Again, this might not
be important to you.

Finally, it is true that the K3's human interface is a little different
than what you may be familiar with. This is not an important
consideration, since you will quickly get used to whatever radio you use.

On 2/8/2014 11:48 PM, Gary NL7Y wrote:

> Thanks to all, including Wayne N6KR, for commenting on their experience and
> suggestions for continued use of the K3/P3.
>
> Despite my experience and ability to read the OM, I had some issues with the
> audio output connections and 2nd VFO control. It was recommended to me to
> return the rig for a rebirth because I hadn't used the Utility program and
> saved the original factory configuration before a hard reset. Its
> consequences wasn't a deal breaker, and Elecraft treated me very well as
> always getting the radio back operating properly.
>
> My conundrum is how the K3 (and work in progress P3 with SVGA-keyboard
> enabled software) will exceed the performance of my TS-590, MK-V Field, or
> unmentioned IC-765. I'm not a troll as some have suggested (my skin is
> tougher than yours), but a rather basic person given to operating rather
> than idly fussing with electronics.
>
> I've owned and/or operated many radios over the last 20 some years and am
> very familiar with my second K3/P3. The question remains for me to answer:
> will they both still be in a box a month from now? And if so, why not?
>
> Thanks for any comments either directly or here. I'm looking for perspective
> on the Elecraft products versus others some have used.
>
> 73, Gary NL7Y

Vic, K2VCO

Fresno CA

http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/

Re: A confession

Scott Manthe-2
Think about your "problem" this way: When Yaesu wanted to upgrade the
FT1000MP, they brought out the more expensive and poorer-performing
Mark-V Field (sorry if I offend, but the difference in RX performance
between the two has been long noted). When they decided to grade the
Mark V Field, the came out with the more expensive and poorer-performing
FT2000. When they needed to upgrade the FT2000, they came out with the
better-performing and MUCH more expensive FT5000. See a pattern here?

When Elecraft wants to update the K3, they either release a free
firmware update which adds features or fixes bugs; or they release a
reasonably-priced replacement board or option board that can be
installed by the end user. This is a company philosophy that is
diametrically different than Yaesu or Icom. (I don't mention Kenwood
because at this point, they don't really even count as a major amateur
manufacturer anymore, unless you're buying an HT. [Again, sorry if I
offend, but it took them 20 years to replace the TS950SDX, and the TS990
is inferior in every way to that rig, except for button population.])

Elecraft doesn't force you to buy an "new, better" (more expensive) rig
when they upgrade the features or performance of the K3. And they've
already said that whatever K4 feature/improvements there are on the
horizon will be backwards compatible with the K3. So, if you don't like
be bothered with updating your firmware, sell your K3/P3 and buy another
Yaesu. And when they upgrade that rig, you can buy another Yaesu, and on
and on...

Nobody here can tell you why you should take your K3 out of the box. If
you don't need what it has to offer in performance, then you should sell
it. K3s aren't perfect and they aren't for everyone, and Elecraft's
"continual improvement" style of product development isn't for everyone.
It took me a long time to get used to the fact that my radio could
always get better if I wanted it to, without me having to buy a new rig.
Some people want the product to be finished when they buy it and would
rather just go through the product cycle, and buy a better/more
expensive product when it comes out in a year or two, like they've been
trained to do.

I go to Dayton almost every year, and I used to love seeing the various
new HF rigs on display by the "Big 2" and I would begin saving my
pennies so I could buy the next cool rig. I don't do that now. I am
honestly not at all interested in changing to something else from the
K3. I still look at the other offerings, but they just don't interest
me. Not because I'm a kool-aid drinking lemming, as one of my friends
labeled Elecraft owners (he now has a K3/KPA500), but because the K3
suits my needs by being excellent, expandable and improvable. I don't
need to buy the next "big rig" any more, I already have it.

73,
Scott, N9AA

On 2/9/14 2:48 AM, Gary NL7Y wrote:

> My conundrum is how the K3 (and work in progress P3 with SVGA-keyboard
> enabled software) will exceed the performance of my TS-590, MK-V Field, or
> unmentioned IC-765. I'm not a troll as some have suggested (my skin is
> tougher than yours), but a rather basic person given to operating rather
> than idly fussing with electronics.
>
> I've owned and/or operated many radios over the last 20 some years and am
> very familiar with my second K3/P3. The question remains for me to answer:
> will they both still be in a box a month from now? And if so, why not?

Re: A confession

John Kendra-2
I get you Gary.  I've been a ham for almost 30 years and have gone though a few radios.  For me the K3/P3 is the best radio I've ever had and the most fun since I first got started.

But being a SDR, it is the most touchy.  I didn't have it a couple of days when I got lost with the software.  Not making a software back up I had to have Elecraft send me a copy.  I've also had to use this forum a few times to correct operator problems.

The Elecraft K3/P3 has all the controls I want, is easy to use (for the most used functions), and hears great.  It is definitely smarter then me, but I can live with that.

John N4LJS

> On Feb 8, 2014, at 22:51, Gary NL7Y <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm Gary and I'm a ham radio operator. This winter I bought my second K3/P3
> to replace a mediocre new TS-990. After some self generated issues with the
> speaker output, the sub-receiver VFO, and hard reset, I sent the K3 back to
> Elecraft for regeneration. It was fixed in a timely manner and returned.
> Thank you Elecraft.
>
> In the meantime I reverted to my trusty two...a Kenwood TS-590 and Yaesu
> MK-V Field. Both work well, are simple to use and maintain, and have their
> place in my shack. Recently FT5ZM was monitored and worked with the
> 590...good S5 copy on both but the key was hooked to the 590, so it got the
> nod. Next to VK0IR, that's a long haul via Grey Line from Interior KL7.
>
> Now the confession. The K3 still sits in its unopened box, next to the
> P3/SVGA in its. I keep asking myself, will I ever remove and use them again?
> I'm not a SDR or computer enthusiast, and the reason I got rid of the first
> K3/P3 was having to deal with the occasional O/S bumps, frequent updates,
> and relatively complex user interface for both. Being a slave to a piece of
> equipment no longer interests me.
>
> I'm still working on a solution. Anyone else go through this to their
> satisfaction?
>
> 73, Gary NL7Y

Re: A confession

bozidar
THIS GAY IS AN IDIOT, DON'T YOU SEE THIS?

John Kendra <[hidden email]> schrieb am 19:35 Sonntag, 9.Februar 2014:

I get you Gary.  I've been a ham for almost 30 years and have gone though a few radios.  For me the K3/P3 is the best radio I've ever had and the most fun since I first got started.

But being a SDR, it is the most touchy.  I didn't have it a couple of days when I got lost with the software.  Not making a software back up I had to have Elecraft send me a copy.  I've also had to use this forum a few times to correct operator problems.

The Elecraft K3/P3 has all the controls I want, is easy to use (for the most used functions), and hears great.  It is definitely smarter then me, but I can live with that.

John N4LJS

> On Feb 8, 2014, at 22:51, Gary NL7Y <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm Gary and I'm a ham radio operator. This winter I bought my second K3/P3
> to replace a mediocre new TS-990. After some self generated issues with the
> speaker output, the sub-receiver VFO, and hard reset, I sent the K3 back to
> Elecraft for regeneration. It was fixed in a timely manner and returned.
> Thank you Elecraft.
>
> In the meantime I reverted to my trusty two...a Kenwood TS-590 and Yaesu
> MK-V Field. Both work well, are simple to use and maintain, and have their
> place in my shack. Recently FT5ZM was monitored and worked with the
> 590...good S5 copy on both but the key was hooked to the 590, so it got the
> nod. Next to VK0IR, that's a long haul via Grey Line from Interior KL7.
>
> Now the confession. The K3 still sits in its unopened box, next to the
> P3/SVGA in its. I keep asking myself, will I ever remove and use them again?
> I'm not a SDR or computer enthusiast, and the reason I got rid of the first
> K3/P3 was having to deal with the occasional O/S bumps, frequent updates,
> and relatively complex user interface for both. Being a slave to a piece of
> equipment no longer interests me.
>
> I'm still working on a solution. Anyone else go through this to their
> satisfaction?
>
> 73, Gary NL7Y

Re: A confession

wayne burdick
Administrator
Name-calling WILL NOT be tolerated on Elecraft reflectors. If someone says something you disagree with, discuss it, but don't insult them. The most recent example was completely uncalled for.

The original poster was expressing his completely justified concerns, in a polite way. We all need to respect this.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

Re: A confession

Charlie T, K3ICH
You want product obsolesance.?...How about the Icom's progression of "new &
improved" starting with the IC-756, followed by the  IC-756PRO, IC-756PRO
II, IC-756PRO III , and finally (?) the  IC-7600.

I'll admit, they suckered ME into it....had 'em all.

Got a K3/P3/VGA now.

73, Charlie k3ICH

> Think about your "problem" this way: When Yaesu wanted to upgrade the
> FT1000MP, they brought out the more expensive and poorer-performing Mark-V
> Field (sorry if I offend, but the difference in RX performance between the
> two has been long noted). When they decided to grade the Mark V Field, the
> came out with the more expensive and poorer-performing FT2000. When they
> needed to upgrade the FT2000, they came out with the better-performing and
> MUCH more expensive FT5000. See a pattern here?

Re: A confession

Fred Smith-2
And They Walk Among Us!

73,
Fred/N0AZZ
Monett, MO.

Re: A confession

George Thornton
I have had my K3 for about four years.

The unit can be intimidating at first to a new user.  The menu system is massive and at times scary.  The microphone gain and compression have to be set correctly if you want to get through a pileup.  There are a few other operating tricks that help improve performance that can be picked up on this reflector.

In my experience the menus almost never need to be touched.  Everything needed for effective operation is at your fingertips on the front panel controls.  Operation has become simple and intuitive for me.

As far as firm upgrades are concerned, those are extraordinarily easy and straightforward if you stay away from beta versions.  The software update program is clear, straightforward and automatic, just tell it to update the radio and let it alone until it is done.

This is a wonderful, effective and well-designed piece of equipment.  You already have it, get it out and enjoy it.

Here' s a solution. Send the K3 and P3 to me, and if I every completely figure them out, I'll send them back and explain it all. :-)

wunder
K6WRU

--
Walter Underwood
[hidden email]

Re: A confession

Jack Chomley
Charlie,

You must admit it's been fun along the way :-). I have Icoms Yeasus etc scattered around here everywhere, about 10 of them and they have all given me pleasure at some time or another and still do.
I got an SG2020 when they came out.......thought it was the best thing since sliced bread!
It's died more times than I have had hot dinners.......but I still have it and does currently work!
And then I drank the Elecraft Kool Aid.......the taste was mysterious, but I grew to like it very much.
I look forward to new software releases all the time now......when I load them up I get that new radio feeling every time......yet I still have the same hardware :-)
Never look to the past, always look to the future and your next Elecraft purchase!

73,

Jack VK4JRC

Club.    www.cqara.org.au
Member WIA SARL ARRL
GQRP       #14392
QRPARCI #15068
VKQRP.    #833

> On 10 Feb 2014, at 6:40 am, "Charlie T, K3ICH" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> You want product obsolesance.?...How about the Icom's progression of "new & improved" starting with the IC-756, followed by the  IC-756PRO, IC-756PRO II, IC-756PRO III , and finally (?) the  IC-7600.
>
> I'll admit, they suckered ME into it....had 'em all.
>
> Got a K3/P3/VGA now.
>
> 73, Charlie k3ICH
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Manthe" <[hidden email]>

EricJ-2
I think I get Gary, too, on some points.

I almost gave up ham radio 8-10 years ago. The operating had become
routine and boring. DXing was indistinguishable from post card or stamp
collecting to me.

What changed it was a club member bringing a bunch of QRP rigs he had
built to a meeting. Among them were a Rockmite and a K1. Next day I
ordered one of each. Since that day, I have been as immersed in ham
radio as any time in the last 57 years I've been licensed. I've since
added two K2's and a KX1. I have no qualms about opening the cases of
any of them and heating up the soldering iron to try something, though
most of my ham activities involve sitting at the bench systematically
working through the homebrewer's bible, EMRFD, and learning to program
PICs in Forth (tired of C...if I stop for lunch I need to be retrained).

But I could never generate the same interest in the KX3 or K3. I've come
close to buying a KX3 based on the absolutely superb specs and
incredible reviews, but something's missing for me. I said the same
about the first luxury Japanese cars when I worked in that industry;
superb engineering and build quality, but they have no soul. The KX3/K3
kit builds are mostly mechanical not electronic. And who really knows
what's going on inside that box beyond the block diagram which is all
that is provided. I don't mean this to be critical. I don't know what
hidden things are going on inside this computer I'm typing on either.
SDR, with its hidden computer circuits, is where RF and ham radio is
going. It's a very natural progression for Elecraft as one of the
leaders in ham radio. Nobody could last long in this high tech age
sticking with thru-hole QRP kits.

But there are people like Gary, and like me, who don't see the same
radio magic in SDR that others see. I work on everything from
boatanchors (Viking Ranger on the bench right now) to homebrew original
design SMT and PIC projects, so I'm not some old f**t longing for the
good ole days. (OK, maybe old f**t, but not the longing part) I love the
new technologies, but I just can't get behind a rig that really isn't
meant to be opened up and tinkered with.

Hats off to the Elecraft team for producing such technological wonders,
but also hats off to them for keeping more classic rigs like the K1 and
K2 in their product line.

Eric
KE6US

On 2/9/2014 10:41 AM, John Kendra wrote:
> I get you Gary.  I've been a ham for almost 30 years and have gone though a few radios.  For me the K3/P3 is the best radio I've ever had and the most fun since I first got started.
>
> But being a SDR, it is the most touchy.  I didn't have it a couple of days when I got lost with the software.  Not making a software back up I had to have Elecraft send me a copy.  I've also had to use this forum a few times to correct operator problems.
>
> The Elecraft K3/P3 has all the controls I want, is easy to use (for the most used functions), and hears great.  It is definitely smarter then me, but I can live with that.
>
> John N4LJS

Re: A confession

Phil Wheeler-2
I agree, Eric.

My thought on a solution is for him to sell his second K3/P3; it's not a religion, after all. I see this "the reason I got rid of the first K3/P3 was having to deal with the occasional O/S bumps, frequent updates, and relatively complex user interface for both. Being a slave to a piece of equipment no longer interests me." as very telling. For me that's one of the reasons I'd pay a premium to own a K3. OTOH, he could just ignore the updates, unless one is critical in some sense (e.g., to meet FCC spectral purity requirements). I've not done all the updates to my K2/100 and don't plan to.  And the K3 cannot be evolving all that much now, some five or so years after it first appeared. Many other rigs *never* evolve; I see that as a downside, perhaps he do not.

We all come at this hobby a bit differently. There was a time when I averaged 5,000 CW QSOs for three years running -- that was close to 60 years ago and I was obsessed. For about ten years (1993-2003) I mostly build qrp gear and operating in spurts. So likely others change  in their focus over time. I get the impression that Gary is more focused on operating just now -- and his TS-590S is a fine rig. But I rather enjoy doing the firmware updates (even with my K2 which I have to disassemble) and the fact that Wayne and Eric strive to keep every product at the cutting edge.

73, Phil w7ox

On 2/9/14, 1:13 PM, EricJ wrote:

> I think I get Gary, too, on some points.
>
> I almost gave up ham radio 8-10 years ago. The
> operating had become routine and boring. DXing
> was indistinguishable from post card or stamp
> collecting to me.
>
> What changed it was a club member bringing a
> bunch of QRP rigs he had built to a meeting.
> Among them were a Rockmite and a K1. Next day I
> ordered one of each. Since that day, I have been
> as immersed in ham radio as any time in the last
> 57 years I've been licensed. I've since added
> two K2's and a KX1. I have no qualms about
> opening the cases of any of them and heating up
> the soldering iron to try something, though most
> of my ham activities involve sitting at the
> bench systematically working through the
> homebrewer's bible, EMRFD, and learning to
> program PICs in Forth (tired of C...if I stop
> for lunch I need to be retrained).
>
> But I could never generate the same interest in
> the KX3 or K3. I've come close to buying a KX3
> based on the absolutely superb specs and
> incredible reviews, but something's missing for
> me. I said the same about the first luxury
> Japanese cars when I worked in that industry;
> superb engineering and build quality, but they
> have no soul. The KX3/K3 kit builds are mostly
> mechanical not electronic. And who really knows
> what's going on inside that box beyond the block
> diagram which is all that is provided. I don't
> mean this to be critical. I don't know what
> hidden things are going on inside this computer
> I'm typing on either. SDR, with its hidden
> computer circuits, is where RF and ham radio is
> going. It's a very natural progression for
> Elecraft as one of the leaders in ham radio.
> Nobody could last long in this high tech age
> sticking with thru-hole QRP kits.
>
> But there are people like Gary, and like me, who
> don't see the same radio magic in SDR that
> others see. I work on everything from
> boatanchors (Viking Ranger on the bench right
> now) to homebrew original design SMT and PIC
> projects, so I'm not some old f**t longing for
> the good ole days. (OK, maybe old f**t, but not
> the longing part) I love the new technologies,
> but I just can't get behind a rig that really
> isn't meant to be opened up and tinkered with.
>
> Hats off to the Elecraft team for producing such
> technological wonders, but also hats off to them
> for keeping more classic rigs like the K1 and K2
> in their product line.
>
> Eric
> KE6US

Re: A confession

KV5J
I don't get where it is being said that the K3 keeps turning into a new receiver every time
a firmware release happens.  There hasn't been any MAJOR improvements in the K3 for about
2 years.  Sure minor upgrades have been made.  Even one that only 1 person ask for????
And now the KAT500 has been downgraded to less than what it was when released.  The
slow response time for reading frequency changes has dropped the tuner down a class or 2.
And being without it for weeks while waiting for an upgrade was hard to take.
I personally think Elecraft has been sloppy with firmware releases.  Too many betas released
to soon with too many bugs.  That never happened 2-3 years ago.  I say use whatever rig
works for YOU!  Enjoying your radio is the most important thing.  Whatever radio that may be.

Keith

Re: A confession

Jim Low man
Heck, Charlie, Icom did the same with the IC-706 (the XYL has one of the
originals).
They didn't even change the model number, only the suffix, and it's on
the third incarnation.

73 de Jim - AD6CW
Happy with my K3 and KX3