A gift - A KX1 to a worthwhile ham

Don Wilhelm-4
  Hello all,

I recently built a KX1 with KXB3080, KXAT1 and KXPD1 for a ham who
wishes to remain anonymous.

He would like to give it to a worthwhile ham.  This is not a scam, it is
a real and generous gift.

"Worthwhile" is defined as any radio amateur who is blind or has a
severe handicap and cannot build for himself and cannot afford to have
it built for him.

If there are none in the above category, the list will be expanded to
include recently licensed young amateurs who have no income and would
use a QRP transceiver on HF.

Please send your qualifications to me privately (use [hidden email]).  I
will forward them to the donor the beginning of next next week and allow
him to choose the recipient.

A KX1 to a worthwhile ham

There has just been an addition to this KX1 gift.  Another anonymous ham
would like to donate a full size G5RV antenna to the worthwhile
recipient.  I will inform this donor who the recipient of the KX1 is and
he will send the antenna.

I am only the "go-between guy" here, I am not either of the donors.

  Hello all,

I recently built a KX1 with KXB3080, KXAT1 and KXPD1 for a ham who
wishes to remain anonymous.

He would like to give it to a worthwhile ham.  This is not a scam, it is
a real and generous gift.

"Worthwhile" is defined as any radio amateur who is blind or has a
severe handicap and cannot build for himself and cannot afford to have
it built for him.

If there are none in the above category, the list will be expanded to
include recently licensed young amateurs who have no income and would
use a QRP transceiver on HF.

Please send your qualifications to me privately (use [hidden email]).  I
will forward them to the donor the beginning of next next week and allow
him to choose the recipient.

A KX1 to a worthwhile ham

There has been another addition - the recipient of the KX1 will also
receive an XG1 for another donor.

The note below was not posted on the Elecraft reflector, so if you have
not yet seen it, read below.

There has just been an addition to this KX1 gift.  Another anonymous ham
would like to donate a full size G5RV antenna to the worthwhile
recipient.  I will inform this donor who the recipient of the KX1 is and
he will send the antenna.

I am only the "go-between guy" here, I am not either of the donors.

A KX1 to a worthwhile ham

There has been another addition - the recipient of the KX1 will also
receive an XG1 for another donor.

The note below was not posted on the Elecraft reflector, so if you have
not yet seen it, read below.

Send the qualification of your suggested recipient (or yourself) to me
at [hidden email] and I will forward them to the donor.

There has just been an addition to this KX1 gift.  Another anonymous ham
would like to donate a full size G5RV antenna to the worthwhile
recipient.  I will inform this donor who the recipient of the KX1 is and
he will send the antenna.

I am only the "go-between guy" here, I am not either of the donors.

Re: [qrp-l.org] A KX1 to a worthwhile ham

w7aqk
Don and All,

I deeply admire the generosity of the donees of all this gear.  However, I
question that it should go to a blind ham.  No question, we should try and
do something equally generous to some blind ham, but a KX-1???  I'm not sure
how that would be utilized by someone who is sightless.  Don knows these
rigs better than anyone, so maybe he has a plan.  I don't know who would be
more deserving, but I just wonder how that would work.

I'd like to see a list, of some sort, of items that would be effectively
usable by a blind ham.  Ham radio is a "God-send" to some blind hams, and if
I had something laying around here unused, I'd be inclined to offer it up.

We have a couple of blind hams here locally (probably a lot more than that,
but these are ones I know personally), and we try and keep them up and
running.  They are excellent operators, by the way!  If you want to do
something really worthwhile, identify blind hams in your area, then see what
issues they have that make getting on the air difficult.  Chances are, you
can do something really beneficial to keep them on the air.

If you love ham radio, find someone who needs help, and do it!!!!!!

Dave W7AQK

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======

Moe

Re: [qrp-l.org] A KX1 to a worthwhile ham

Moe

http://www.elecraft.com/KX1/kx1faq.htm

Q: Some have described the KX1 as providing "accessibility" for blind hams. Can you describe this feature and what it can be used for?

A: The KX1 includes full audio CW feedback on switch press, including in the menus and for frequency readout. This feature allows the KX1 to be used in situations where you can't conveniently look at the LED display, such as when operating mobile (bike or car). It also provides a backup to the display for use in very bright sunlight. Finally, it will make the KX1 immediately accessible by blind hams, a community that very much benefits from ham radio. We're happy to be able to help them out.

--
Moe - AB8XA
Elecraft KX1 #2484, Fists #13020, SKCC #7460,

On May 17, 2011, at 10:29 PM, David Yarnes wrote:

> ...a KX-1???  I'm not sure
> how that would be utilized by someone who is sightless.

Re: [qrp-l.org] A KX1 to a worthwhile ham

w7aqk
Well, there you go!  I own a KX-1 (actually two of them!), and I didn't know
it was that "user friendly" to the blind.  Obviously I haven't read the
manual thoroughly!  So what else is new?

Carry on, you patron saints, and don't forget to post a list of what might
be helpful to blind hams.  I can't imagine that I don't have something here
that would be an appropriate contribution, and my wife would thrilled if I
reduced my collection of goodies.

Dave W7AQK

Re: [qrp-l.org] A KX1 to a worthwhile ham

Gary Gregory
Now that ya'all brought up 'White Stick Operators' I remember now one such
operator made a contact with me recently, AND he was on a K3...to say I was
impressed is really a huge understatement...and he sounded great too!

Maybe Don has started something here eh?

Got me thinkin'....and that's not easy when your me...Grin

73's
Gary

On 18 May 2011 13:05, David Yarnes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, there you go!  I own a KX-1 (actually two of them!), and I didn't
> know
> it was that "user friendly" to the blind.  Obviously I haven't read the
> manual thoroughly!  So what else is new?
>
> Carry on, you patron saints, and don't forget to post a list of what might
> be helpful to blind hams.  I can't imagine that I don't have something here
> that would be an appropriate contribution, and my wife would thrilled if I
> reduced my collection of goodies.
>
> Dave W7AQK

VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment