Advice!

Phil LaMarche-2
When running the KPA500 on AM, it there any time limit before unkeying?
While operating, the fan comes on and then it kicks into another speed.

Thanks

Phil

Philip LaMarche

LaMarche Enterprises, Inc

 <mailto:[hidden email]> [hidden email]

 <http://www.lamarcheenterprises.com/> www.LaMarcheEnterprises.com

727-944-3226

727-937-8834 Fax

727-510-5038 Cell

  <http://www.w9dvm.com/> www.w9dvm.com

K3 # 1605

KPA500 # 029

 CCA 98-00827

CRA 1701

W9DVM

Re: Advice!

Don Wilhelm-4
Phil,

AM with its 50% power carrier and sidebands that change in amplitude
should present a less harsh situation than RTTY which is 100% duty
cycle.  There have been reports of running RTTY for an extended time
with no harm.  But the specification says 500 watts with 10 minutes key
down and 5 minutes standby.  It should do at least that well with AM.

The KPA500 has temperature alarms should it get too hot, so it should
"take care of itself".

On 7/30/2011 2:49 PM, Phil LaMarche wrote:
> When running the KPA500 on AM, it there any time limit before unkeying?
> While operating, the fan comes on and then it kicks into another speed.
>

> Thanks

Re: Advice!

Grant Youngman
That should actually about 25% carrier.

125-150 watts carrier -  500-600w PEP AM.  Shouldn't be any problem for the KPA-500.  Presuming one doesn't make an hour long old buzzard transmission.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 30, 2011, at 2:24 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Phil,
>
> AM with its 50% power carrier and sidebands that change in amplitude
> should present a less harsh situation than RTTY which is 100% duty
> cycle.  There have been reports of running RTTY for an extended time
> with no harm.  But the specification says 500 watts with 10 minutes key
> down and 5 minutes standby.  It should do at least that well with AM.
>
> The KPA500 has temperature alarms should it get too hot, so it should
> "take care of itself".
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 7/30/2011 2:49 PM, Phil LaMarche wrote:
>> When running the KPA500 on AM, it there any time limit before unkeying?
>> While operating, the fan comes on and then it kicks into another speed.
>>

>> Thanks

Re: Advice!

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

Don,

 > AM with its 50% power carrier and sidebands that change in amplitude
 > should present a less harsh situation than RTTY which is 100% duty
 > cycle.

AM carrier power is 25% of PEP (not 50%). The RF voltage and current
are each 50% of peak values which makes power 25% of peak. The US
"legal limit" for AM is 375W carrier (1500/4).  For the KPA-500 this
means 125W (certainly no more than 150W) carrier.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 7/30/2011 3:24 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Phil,
>
> AM with its 50% power carrier and sidebands that change in amplitude
> should present a less harsh situation than RTTY which is 100% duty
> cycle.  There have been reports of running RTTY for an extended time
> with no harm.  But the specification says 500 watts with 10 minutes key
> down and 5 minutes standby.  It should do at least that well with AM.
>
> The KPA500 has temperature alarms should it get too hot, so it should
> "take care of itself".
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 7/30/2011 2:49 PM, Phil LaMarche wrote:
>> When running the KPA500 on AM, it there any time limit before unkeying?
>> While operating, the fan comes on and then it kicks into another speed.
>>

>> Thanks

Re: Advice!

Dick Dievendorff
At low heat levels, the fans operate at low speeds.

As the temperature of the PA rises, the fans increase in speed (and they're
louder).  Depending on humidity, ambient temperature, and the free space
around the amplifier, the increased fan speed moves  heat energy out of the
amplifier.

If the PA transistors get "too warm", the firmware causes a
temperature-related fault.  That shuts the amplifier down until the
temperature returns to a safe level.

During development a number of amplifiers were subjected to very long key
down times, sometimes with restricted airflow.  We've exercised the
protection logic quite a bit.  That doesn't mean you need to run with all
the knobs to the right, but if the fans are running, that's good, heat is
being moved out.

The PA devices are not being operated at their maximum thermal rating. The
KPA500 temperature fault occurs before the RF transistor manufacturer's
maximum temperature rating.

Dick, K6KR

Re: Advice!

Phil LaMarche-2
Many thanks for all the responses regarding AM operation.  I'm good to go
and am happy to use the K3 on AM, having gotten rid of my heavy metal.
Everyone have a great weekend.

Phil

Philip LaMarche

LaMarche Enterprises, Inc

[hidden email]
www.LaMarcheEnterprises.com

727-944-3226
727-937-8834 Fax
727-510-5038 Cell
 www.w9dvm.com
K3 # 1605
KPA500 # 029

 CCA 98-00827
CRA 1701
W9DVM

AM with its 50% power carrier and sidebands that change in amplitude should
present a less harsh situation than RTTY which is 100% duty cycle.  There
have been reports of running RTTY for an extended time with no harm.  But
the specification says 500 watts with 10 minutes key down and 5 minutes
standby.  It should do at least that well with AM.

The KPA500 has temperature alarms should it get too hot, so it should "take
care of itself".

On 7/30/2011 2:49 PM, Phil LaMarche wrote:
> When running the KPA500 on AM, it there any time limit before unkeying?
> While operating, the fan comes on and then it kicks into another speed.
>

> Thanks

Re: Advice!

Joe,

You are correct - I was looking at the RF voltage - not the power.