Alignment and Test, Part II - No signal on TP3

Alignment and Test, Part II - No signal on TP3

Cameron Haines
Hey Guys,

Well, I am at the part where I need to test the 4 MHz oscillator calibration and ran into a snag. I am not getting anything on two different frequency counters when connected to TP3. Test up to this point have been good. Checked all the components around X1 and all look correct. No error message on startup.

Any ideas where to go from here?

Thanks,
Cameron
AE5UZ

Re: Alignment and Test, Part II - No signal on TP3

Mike Morrow-3
Any idea what the model designation is?

>Well, I am at the part where I need to test the 4 MHz oscillator calibration and ran into a snag. I am not getting anything on two different frequency counters when connected to TP3. Test up to this point have been good. Checked all the components around X1 and all look correct. No error message on startup.
>
>Any ideas where to go from here?
>
>Thanks,
>Cameron
>AE5UZ
>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: K2 Alignment and Test, Part II - No signal on TP3

David Moorman
Do you have a receiver you can listen on to see if the oscillator is actually oscillating?

Dave K9SW

On Jul 3, 2012, at 6:41 PM, Cameron Haines <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Correction.
>

> Hey Guys,
>
> Well, I am at the part where I need to test the 4 MHz oscillator calibration and ran into a snag. I am not getting anything on two different frequency counters when connected to TP3. Test up to this point have been good. Checked all the components around X1 and all look correct. No error message on startup.
>
> Any ideas where to go from here?
>
> Thanks,
> Cameron
> AE5UZ

Re: K2 Alignment and Test, Part II - No signal on TP3

Cameron,

In order to calibrate the 4 MHz reference as stated, you must have a
very accurate frequency counter (the first bullet), or you can listen
with another calibrated receiver (2nd bullet), or you can just do as the
3rd bullet indicates and set the C22 trimmer to center.  Whichever you
use will not change the rest of your bringup of the K2.  When you have
all bands working, I do encourage you to do a good dial frequency
calibration - see my website www.w3fpr.com article for the procedure.

OK, now back to your problem.  I am not certain from your words, but I
assume you read all zeros in the K2 display when you attempt CAL FCTR
and the probe in TP3.  That may mean that the PLL reference oscillator
is not working, or it could mean that your counter probe is not working.

If that is the case, try the probe in TP2 to see if you can read the BFO
frequency.  If both TP2 and TP3 show all zeros, I would conclude that
you have a faulty internal frequency probe or problems with Q9 and Q10
on the Control Board.

If you have a good BFO frequency response at TP2, but all zeros at TP3,
that means the PLL reference oscillator is not working.  Go to the
schematic (RF Board sheet 1 of 4) and look in the upper left corner.
The components shown there (over to but not including U4) are the ones
you need to check for good soldering, and the diodes for proper
orientation.  If you need help with diode orientation, look at the parts
placement diagram in the back of the manual.  Then move on to the DC
voltage measurements for Q19 to see if all looks well there.

You will need to get some reasonably proper frequency readout from TP3
(The next and more important step is the PLL range which is the test in
the right column).  That must be correct before moving on.

On 7/3/2012 7:41 PM, Cameron Haines wrote:

> Correction.
>

> Hey Guys,
>
> Well, I am at the part where I need to test the 4 MHz oscillator calibration and ran into a snag. I am not getting anything on two different frequency counters when connected to TP3. Test up to this point have been good. Checked all the components around X1 and all look correct. No error message on startup.
>
> Any ideas where to go from here?
>
> Thanks,
> Cameron
> AE5UZ

Re: K2 Alignment and Test, Part II - No signal on TP3

Cameron Haines
Great suggestion. I can hear it a 4Mhz now.. from my Softrock SDR. Wonder why the Freq counters couldn't pick it up however. hmm.

Thanks David!

________________________________
Do you have a receiver you can listen on to see if the oscillator is actually oscillating?

Dave K9SW

On Jul 3, 2012, at 6:41 PM, Cameron Haines <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Correction.
>

> Hey Guys,
>
> Well, I am at the part where I need to test the 4 MHz oscillator calibration and ran into a snag. I am not getting anything on two different frequency counters when connected to TP3. Test up to this point have been good. Checked all the components around X1 and all look correct. No error message on startup.
>
> Any ideas where to go from here?
>
> Thanks,
> Cameron
> AE5UZ

Re: K2 Alignment and Test, Part II - No signal on TP3

Don Wilhelm-4
Cameron,

Read my last post carefully.  Then tell us whether you are seeing all
zeros when plugged into TP3 and in CAL FCTR.  If you have all zeros,
either your probe is bad or your PLL reference is not oscillating.

On 7/3/2012 8:40 PM, Cameron Haines wrote:

> Great suggestion. I can hear it a 4Mhz now.. from my Softrock SDR. Wonder why the Freq counters couldn't pick it up however. hmm.
>
> Thanks David!
>

> ________________________________

Don,

Great advice. I wasn't able to construct the probe for the frequency counter; missing the capacitor in the kit, either lost it or wasn't included.

I decided to use a external counter instead. Now, if I simply jumper P6 to T2 and T3, I do get a reading, though sure its inaccurate, but reading nonetheless. I will email Elecraft for missing capacitor. In the interim, do you have a suggestion or replacement cap that will give same or near results until part comes in or another work-around?

Cameron

________________________________
Read my last post carefully.  Then tell us whether you are seeing all
zeros when plugged into TP3 and in CAL FCTR.  If you have all zeros,
either your probe is bad or your PLL reference is not oscillating.

On 7/3/2012 8:40 PM, Cameron Haines wrote:

> Great suggestion. I can hear it a 4Mhz now.. from my Softrock SDR. Wonder why the Freq counters couldn't pick it up however. hmm.
>
> Thanks David!
>

> ________________________________

Yes, do get the capacitor for the probe, you will need it for your
filter alignment even if you do not choose to follow my instructions for
achieving good K2 Dial Calibration.  Any 10 pF capacitor will do, but
the axial one is better physically - it fits nicely under the heat
shrink.  I have a few counter probes with "lumps" because I substituted
10 pF disc ceramics for the axial capacitors.  Note that I "lose probes"
often - or more correctly, I leave them in my customer's K2s, so when I
ger down to a qwuantity of one, I build another from whatever materials
I have at hand - there is no "magic" it is just a shielded wire with a
10 pF capacitor at the probe end. BTW, a #14 AWG wire fits the probe
sockets very nicely if you are inclined toward building your own probe
tip.  A small amount of grinding/filing will round the tip.

Just jumpering between CB P6 and RF board TP2 or TP3 can lead to
erroneous readings because any DC present is not being blocked, and that
can skew the readings.

If you have an external frequency counter, you can move on to the PLL
range tests and the BFO range tests using the external counter rather
than the internal one.  Don't worry about the 4 MHZ reference for now
(it may end up being slightly different than exactly 4.0 MHZ) - just set
the trimmer slot as indicated by bullet 3.

On 7/3/2012 9:33 PM, Cameron Haines wrote:

> Don,
>
> Great advice. I wasn't able to construct the probe for the frequency counter; missing the capacitor in the kit, either lost it or wasn't included.
>
> I decided to use a external counter instead. Now, if I simply jumper P6 to T2 and T3, I do get a reading, though sure its inaccurate, but reading nonetheless. I will email Elecraft for missing capacitor. In the interim, do you have a suggestion or replacement cap that will give same or near results until part comes in or another work-around?
>
> Cameron
>

> ________________________________

>>> Cameron
>>> AE5UZ
>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: K2 Alignment and Test, Part II - No signal on TP3

Cameron Haines
Good morning,

I finally have my probe setup. Here is my readings which seem way off.

4 Mhz Oscillator Calibration = 1817.00 which should be reading 12090 +/- 30 kHz per manual

PLL Reference Range Test

Seems correct range but frequency is wrong as with Osc calibration.

VCO Test

3 - 4 kHz as opposed to 8 - 10 Mhz.

Any thoughts were I have gone wrong?

Thanks,
Cameron
AE5UZ

________________________________

 http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm

Re: K2 Alignment and Test, Part II - No signal on TP3

Don Wilhelm-4
Cameron,

The first thing is to determine whether you have a problem with the
counter probe or with the PLL reference oscillator.  Plug the probe into
TP2 and expect a reading close to 4913 to 4916 kHz.  If that is true,
the the probe is OK.

If the probe is good, then check the PLL crystal.  It should be a 12,096
mHz crystal.
I do not know why it would oscillate at 1817 kHz, that has no
relationship to the proper frequency.

On 7/5/2012 12:47 PM, Cameron Haines wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> I finally have my probe setup. Here is my readings which seem way off.
>
> 4 Mhz Oscillator Calibration = 1817.00 which should be reading 12090 +/- 30 kHz per manual
>
> PLL Reference Range Test
>
> Seems correct range but frequency is wrong as with Osc calibration.
>
> VCO Test
>
> 3 - 4 kHz as opposed to 8 - 10 Mhz.
>
> Any thoughts were I have gone wrong?
>
> Thanks,
> Cameron
> AE5UZ
>

> ________________________________

Probe is good and was at 4913 plus a few hz via TP2. Crystal in X1is the 12096 crystal. I checked continuity and double checked solder joints all looks good. I still get the strange reading as before via TP2 however.

Cameron

________________________________
The first thing is to determine whether you have a problem with the
counter probe or with the PLL reference oscillator.  Plug the probe into
TP2 and expect a reading close to 4913 to 4916 kHz.  If that is true,
the the probe is OK.

If the probe is good, then check the PLL crystal.  It should be a 12,096
mHz crystal.
I do not know why it would oscillate at 1817 kHz, that has no
relationship to the proper frequency.

On 7/5/2012 12:47 PM, Cameron Haines wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> I finally have my probe setup. Here is my readings which seem way off.
>
> 4 Mhz Oscillator Calibration = 1817.00 which should be reading 12090 +/- 30 kHz per manual
>
> PLL Reference Range Test
>
> Seems correct range but frequency is wrong as with Osc calibration.
>
> VCO Test

> 3 - 4 kHz as opposed to 8 - 10 Mhz.
>
> Any thoughts were I have gone wrong?
>
> Thanks,
> Cameron
> AE5UZ
>

> ________________________________

Ok, initial data has been satisfied, and it has been determined that you
have a problem.
1817 kHz does not relate to 12.096 kHz in any harmonic combination that
I can find, so I conclude that your counter probe is measuring noise at TP1.

Recheck the soldering at all points for the PLL Reference - the
components are indicated on the schematic sheet 1 of 4 at the back of
the manual.

On 7/5/2012 1:53 PM, Cameron Haines wrote:

> Don,
>
> Probe is good and was at 4913 plus a few hz via TP2. Crystal in X1is the 12096 crystal. I checked continuity and double checked solder joints all looks good. I still get the strange reading as before via TP2 however.
>
> Cameron
>

> ________________________________

>>> Cameron
>>> AE5UZ
>>> Help:
>>     http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: K2 Alignment and Test, Part II - No signal on TP3

Cameron Haines
Well, beating my head against the wall at this point. Went through that section in schematic and rechecked all component placement along with values. Checked all joints plus touched up a few places. Still same results. Checked on the meter what I could in so far as resistance and continuity all looks well.

________________________________
Ok, initial data has been satisfied, and it has been determined that you
have a problem.
1817 kHz does not relate to 12.096 kHz in any harmonic combination that
I can find, so I conclude that your counter probe is measuring noise at TP1.

Recheck the soldering at all points for the PLL Reference - the
components are indicated on the schematic sheet 1 of 4 at the back of
the manual.

On 7/5/2012 1:53 PM, Cameron Haines wrote:

> Don,
>
> Probe is good and was at 4913 plus a few hz via TP2. Crystal in X1is the 12096 crystal. I checked continuity and double checked solder joints all looks good. I still get the strange reading as before via TP2 however.
>
> Cameron

>>> Cameron
>>> AE5UZ