Amazing opening on 20 meters right now

wayne burdick
Administrator
In northern California I'm hearing dozens of very strong EU stations
on 20 meter SSB. Wow.

Wayne
N6KR

Re: Amazing opening on 20 meters right now

gdaught6
> In northern California I'm hearing dozens of very strong EU stations
> on 20 meter SSB. Wow.

and on 15m SSB, 7O6T is having to lecture EU: "No Europe!  West coast of North
America only now!  No Europe!"

73,

George T Daughters, K6GT
CU in the California QSO Party (CQP)
October 6-7, 2012

Re: [KX3] Amazing opening on 20 meters right now

w7aqk
U are right Wayne!  I’m haunting the CW portion, but Europe is very strong here too.  Hope you grab a bunch of them—know U are using that KX3!

Have a great weekend!

Dave W7AQK

Re: Amazing opening on 20 meters right now

KD8NNU
I knew I should have stayed up all night making contacts.

At 10:30 PM EST 20m was open in MI, my problem was that I did not have
any energy it was a long week at work. :-(

~73
Don
KD8NNU

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 12:52 AM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> In northern California I'm hearing dozens of very strong EU stations
> on 20 meter SSB. Wow.
>
> Wayne
> N6KR

Re: Amazing opening on 20 meters right now

Kevin Cozens-2
On 12-05-05 12:52 AM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
> In northern California I'm hearing dozens of very strong EU stations
> on 20 meter SSB. Wow.

Thanks for the heads up on this, Wayne. Although I didn't see the message
until this morning its amazing to think of 20m being open like that so late
at night.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include <disclaimer/favourite> |             --Chris Hardwick

Re: Amazing opening on 20 meters right now

Matt Zilmer
It was side open to VK-land from SoCal a couple hours after Wayne's
notice.  Again, over the pole.

EU is active on 15 and 17m this morning.  Or was, three hours ago.

73,
matt W6NIA

On Sat, 05 May 2012 12:42:13 -0400, you wrote:

>On 12-05-05 12:52 AM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
>> In northern California I'm hearing dozens of very strong EU stations
>> on 20 meter SSB. Wow.
>
>Thanks for the heads up on this, Wayne. Although I didn't see the message
>until this morning its amazing to think of 20m being open like that so late
>at night.

Re: Amazing opening on 20 meters right now

Neoklis Kyriazis
There is an M class flare event in progress. We have transequatorial propagation on 6m between southern Africa and Europe at this time (1700 Z)

Regards

Neoklis - Ham Radio Call 5B4AZ
QTH Locator KM64KR
Website: http://www.qsl.net/5b4az/

________________________________

On 12-05-05 01:46 PM, Matt Zilmer wrote:
> It was side open to VK-land from SoCal a couple hours after Wayne's
> notice.  Again, over the pole.
>
> EU is active on 15 and 17m this morning.  Or was, three hours ago.

I'll make a note to check the bands late this evening. I might fire up my K2
for the first time in ages. Only minor catch is that I'm nowhere near the
west coast.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include <disclaimer/favourite> |             --Chris Hardwick

Re: Amazing opening on 20 meters right now

Wilford (Doc) Lindsey
Hey everybody:

I can verify an amazIng opening on *40 metres* early this AM @ 0500 mountain time.....when I worked HK1MW with only one watt into my trusty homebrew wire vertical with 4 counterpoise wires.  He had to ask for several fills but only becus of rude operators from EU who simply not stand by until he cud make out the final "z" in my call.  But to his Korean doggedness, he kept with it until we had a complete QSO.

I was thrilled, as this was my very very first QSO with a KX1 (traded for, but new to me, built a year ago).  I ckecked the power out later wid an OHR WM-2.

Thanks for letting me share this small vIctory, important when pain prevents sleep and I spend 24 hours a day "living" in this old wheelchair (!).  Thanks to all the folks at Elecraft as always fer producing such a great rig as the KX1.  It's simply fabulous, IMHO.

73,
Doc/K0EVZ

From: [hidden email]
Sender: [hidden email]
Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 07:40:28
To: Wayne Burdick<[hidden email]>
Cc: Elecraft Reflector<[hidden email]>; <[hidden email]>

I knew I should have stayed up all night making contacts.

At 10:30 PM EST 20m was open in MI, my problem was that I did not have
any energy it was a long week at work. :-(

~73
Don
KD8NNU

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 12:52 AM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> In northern California I'm hearing dozens of very strong EU stations
> on 20 meter SSB. Wow.
>
> Wayne
> N6KR

Re: Amazing opening on 20 meters right now

N0AZZ
Doc:

I know where you are at a good day nets me 3-3 1/2 hrs of sleep a night then
up and into the shack. I'm waiting on my K2 so still using my IC-703 Plus
with W4RT duel filters it does a good job still waiting to compare the 2
radios. Finally made a QRP contact with 7O6T 5w on 17m 02:37 5/6/12 was very
pleased but had a 5x9x20 on him just luck.

73,

Fred/N0AZZ

From: [hidden email]
Sender: [hidden email]
Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 07:40:28
To: Wayne Burdick<[hidden email]>
Cc: Elecraft Reflector<[hidden email]>; <[hidden email]>

I knew I should have stayed up all night making contacts.

At 10:30 PM EST 20m was open in MI, my problem was that I did not have any
energy it was a long week at work. :-(

~73
Don
KD8NNU

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 12:52 AM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> In northern California I'm hearing dozens of very strong EU stations
> on 20 meter SSB. Wow.
>
> Wayne
> N6KR

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: Amazing opening on 20 meters right now

Wilford (Doc) Lindsey
Fred:

Many tks fer the feedback.  You will be very happy wid ur k2 radio.  I have used several and my present one is #054.  The K2 was the world's gold standard until the K3 came along.  I remember several rare DXpededitions where K2s were the main transceivers used!  Now its the K3 as in the present dx to 706T all are--Wow!  So you have chosen very wisely, good Sir, and it will be worth the wait.

73,
Doc/K0EVZ

From: [hidden email]
Sender: [hidden email]
Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 07:40:28
To: Wayne Burdick<[hidden email]>
Cc: Elecraft Reflector<[hidden email]>; <[hidden email]>

I knew I should have stayed up all night making contacts.

At 10:30 PM EST 20m was open in MI, my problem was that I did not have any
energy it was a long week at work. :-(

~73
Don
KD8NNU

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 12:52 AM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> In northern California I'm hearing dozens of very strong EU stations
> on 20 meter SSB. Wow.
>
> Wayne
> N6KR

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: Amazing opening on 20 meters right now

ve3dvy
Gee  and here I was thinking it was just due to the K3 I Just finished
building. I brought it to the cottage for the first real test and
thought how wonderful how this new rig is, in that it can here EU on 20m
at 2:00 am in Ontario. :-)