And/Or Options

GeorgeP1111
Somewhere I thought I read that the KXBT3 Internal 8-AA Cell Battery Pack and the KXAT3 ATU both occupied the same space so both could not be installed at the same time.  If so, that's going to be a tough call.  I have a T1, and I have external batteries, but I had both the ATU and Batteries installed in my recently sold KX1 and that was real nice.

I would like to configure my KX3 internally (when available of course) with the KXBT3, KXAT3, and KXFL3 (Roofing Filter).  Can anyone comment on if all 3 of these options will fit under the hood at the same time, and if not, what are the And/Or configurations?

tnx
de George
WD0AKZ

dit - dit

Re: And/Or Options

wayne burdick
Administrator
You can have the ATU, internal battery, and roofing filter module all
installed at the same time. Whether there's a high-band option (2 m, 4
m, etc.) is still TBD. Chance are it would substitute for the ATU. In
that case, if you still needed an ATU you could use an Elecraft T1, or
add the optional ATU to the KX3's matching high-power PA (KXPA100).

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Jun 5, 2011, at 8:02 AM, GeorgeP1111 wrote:

> Somewhere I thought I read that the KXBT3 Internal 8-AA Cell Battery
> Pack and
> the KXAT3 ATU both occupied the same space so both could not be
> installed at
> the same time.  If so, that's going to be a tough call.  I have a
> T1, and I
> have external batteries, but I had both the ATU and Batteries
> installed in
> my recently sold KX1 and that was real nice.
>
> I would like to configure my KX3 internally (when available of
> course) with
> the KXBT3, KXAT3, and KXFL3 (Roofing Filter).  Can anyone comment on
> if all
> 3 of these options will fit under the hood at the same time, and if
> not,
> what are the And/Or configurations?
>
> tnx
> de George
> WD0AKZ
>
> dit - dit

Re: And/Or Options

GeorgeP1111
Yup... That's what I was hoping to hear.

I'll be watching for the "Purchase Now" sign to be hung out :-)

tnx
de George
WD0AKZ

Re: And/Or Options

w7aqk
Wayne,

If a VHF option is possible, but would require some substitution, is it
possible to have it be an alternative to the internal battery option instead
of the ATU?  Maybe I'm in the minority, but to me, the internal ATU is much
more valuable than the battery option.  External power is much less
problematic than a good ATU.  I'm pretty sure that, if I had to pick between
the ATU and a VHF option, I'd drop the VHF idea.  I suppose, though, the ATU
wouldn't be operational on VHF anyway, so perhaps that is why you suggest it
as the alternative option?

Dave W7AQK

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======

Re: And/Or Options

John Ragle
This is exactly correct! A "bad" (i.e. incapable) ATU is useless, and
for mobile, at least, external power is not a problem. Even using the
radio as a BPS (backpacker's special) it is much less problematic to
carry a small external battery pack than an external ATU. You can use
the battery pack to keep your electric socks warm while waiting for
sunspots...

John Ragle -- W1ZI

On 6/6/2011 10:31 AM, David Yarnes wrote: [snip]
> ...If a VHF option is possible, but would require some substitution, is it
> possible to have it be an alternative to the internal battery option instead
> of the ATU?  Maybe I'm in the minority, but to me, the internal ATU is much
> more valuable than the battery option.  External power is much less
> problematic than a good ATU...

Re: And/Or Options

wayne burdick
Administrator
The KXAT3 will have the same matching range as the KAT3. The only
difference is the power-handling capability, and the use of latching
relays so RX-mode current drain is zero when not actually tuning the L-
network.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Jun 6, 2011, at 7:57 AM, John Ragle wrote:

> This is exactly correct! A "bad" (i.e. incapable) ATU is useless, and
> for mobile, at least, external power is not a problem. Even using the
> radio as a BPS (backpacker's special) it is much less problematic to
> carry a small external battery pack than an external ATU. You can use
> the battery pack to keep your electric socks warm while waiting for
> sunspots...
>
> John Ragle -- W1ZI
>
> On 6/6/2011 10:31 AM, David Yarnes wrote: [snip]
>> ...If a VHF option is possible, but would require some
>> substitution, is it
>> possible to have it be an alternative to the internal battery
>> option instead
>> of the ATU?  Maybe I'm in the minority, but to me, the internal ATU
>> is much
>> more valuable than the battery option.  External power is much less
>> problematic than a good ATU...

Re: And/Or Options

Igor Sokolov-2
I second that. I wish KX3 has both 2m and ATU. I would rather use external
batteries then give up ATU. Choosing between ATU and 2m option is going to
be pretty difficult.

73, Igor UA9CDC
> If a VHF option is possible, but would require some substitution, is it
> possible to have it be an alternative to the internal battery option
> instead
> of the ATU?  Maybe I'm in the minority, but to me, the internal ATU is
> much
> more valuable than the battery option.  External power is much less
> problematic than a good ATU.  I'm pretty sure that, if I had to pick
> between
> the ATU and a VHF option, I'd drop the VHF idea.  I suppose, though, the
> ATU
> wouldn't be operational on VHF anyway, so perhaps that is why you suggest
> it
> as the alternative option?
>
> Dave W7AQK
>

> =======
> http://www.pctools.com/
> =======

Re: And/Or Options

~BG~
Toting around a T1 not sufficient?

./Ben

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Igor Sokolov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I second that. I wish KX3 has both 2m and ATU. I would rather use external
> batteries then give up ATU. Choosing between ATU and 2m option is going to
> be pretty difficult.
>
> 73, Igor UA9CDC

Re: And/Or Options

Igor Sokolov-2
Not quite... I see myself taking KX3 with me everywhere (business trips,
vacations etc). Carring second box (even that small) is not appealing to me.
Level of integration is not the same as with the internal ATU. Besides KX3
will easily pass for general coverage RX at the customs while T1 will
require a lot of explanations.

73, Igor UA9CDC

> Toting around a T1 not sufficient?
>

> ./Ben
>

> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Igor Sokolov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I second that. I wish KX3 has both 2m and ATU. I would rather use
>> external
>> batteries then give up ATU. Choosing between ATU and 2m option is going
>> be pretty difficult.
>>
>> 73, Igor UA9CDC

[K3 and P3] KE7X Manual

Doug Turnbull

Friends,
    Today I received a spiral bound copy of Fred Cady's (KE7X) "The Elecraft K3 Design, Configuration and Operation".   This is a 280 A4 page book describing much of what anyone might like to know about the K3, P3 and their accessories.   Written by a retired Montana State University professor of EE in a thorough manner using many diagrams, photos, block diagrams and schematics to illustrate his points it should prove a useful aid to many of us.   To me it is an easier read than the K3 manual but then Fred had the manual before starting his book.  There are exercises and question in the book to help in learning, the unmistakable signs of a good text book writer.  You do not need to be macho about this, many of us have some learning to do as regards our K3, I am a MSEE and retired EE lecturer and have much to learn about my two K3s.  Indeed, Fred started writing this book in an effort to teach himself how to use our beautiful little radio.

     I have long been bothered in not having the more valuable operating tips that appear on this forum easily accessible and while Fred's book does not answer my problem, it sure seems helpful in this regard.

     The book is thorough, even covering the configuration of the K3 when initially purchased and would be useful for anyone prior to ordering their K3!   You would then have it to configure your K3 and when the K3 arrived there would be a great set of tutorials on how to best make use of the radio.   The index is usually a difficulty for most writers but KE7X has done well for us in this regard.

        The book is independent in outlook and critical of the K3 in some regards, the AGC and its handling of multiple signals in the pass band being an example.   This problem has recently been addressed on the forum but it is interesting to see a professor critically questioning.   I do not find this issue covered adequately in the K3 manual though this is probably too much to expect.

       Fred does not want anyone to order his book just yet as he is doing a final edit, my copy was ordered before this warning appeared on his web site.   You might want to check the following website out if you are interested, http://www.ke7x.com/home/guide-to-the-k3 .   I wanted the spiral bound version as it is uses double sided quality printing and is always available for a quick lookup.   The cost is $35 and delivered to EI land it cost me €31.50. If you want to print your own copy then a PDF version is available for $15 and obviously there is no shipping.

        I do not know Professor Cady (Fred KE7X to all hams) and am not sure if he is in my log.   The book seems useful and I wanted to let all of you to know my first impressions.   This is going to provide some fun in the next few days.

         One final point, you do not need to be an engineer to get a great deal of enjoyment and capability from a K3.   Use default values and you have a powerful tool.   But like a fine instrument you can learn to better understand the radio and how to make full use of the K3.   This is a thinking man's radio and Fred's text looks like it will help in learning to squeeze everything out of the K3.   After all was it Wayne the other day who admitted that one of his employees helped him out of a problem using the very firmware he designed.    73 Doug EI2CN