Anderson Connectors ARES Standard

Robert-222
The correct connection is while looking down at the connectors to have RED
RIGHT TONGUE DOWN.

Looking at the front end of the connectors the RED will be on the left and
the TONGUE will be down. That is how the pre wired cable extensions  and
Rig Runners are wired.

Robert
WN7O

---

Re: Anderson Connectors ARES Standard

Trent - N7GMT
Exactly "correct":

Red on LEFT looking *into* the connectors (from the pluggable side), or
Red on RIGHT looking down the wire *at* the connectors.

Tonuge down in either case.

These are known as California Reverse Anderson Polarity compliant ARES
connectors (since CA chose to use <ahem> a "different" configuration for
Anderson Powerpoles for their ARES connectors, than had previously been
chosen -- and implemented many years earlier -- other ARES groups in
other states.  CA is bigger, and bigger aparently rules, I guess.)

Re: Anderson Connectors ARES Standard

Don Brown-4
Hi

As I said in an earlier post after messing about with the powerpoles for about an hour and assembling them every way possible. There is only one way they can be assembled so they will plug together, have the red and black connectors match on two sets when plugged together, the dovetails mate and still have a unisex system. This is the Elecraft, Rigrunner and ARES configuration. The only one other way they can be assembled that meet the above criteria, is not unisex so you have sort of a male and female in that the connectors must be assembled differently to mate correctly.

"Red on LEFT looking *into* the connectors (from the pluggable side), or
Red on RIGHT looking down the wire *at* the connectors."

This is fine if you can remember it. I just like my way better "TTRR"  or Terminal Top Red Right. That is when the contact terminals are to the top of the connector looking into the connector the red will be on the right.

Don Brown
KD5NDB

  The correct connection is while looking down at the connectors to have
  RED
  RIGHT TONGUE DOWN.

  Looking at the front end of the connectors the RED will be on the left
  and
  the TONGUE will be down. That is how the pre wired cable extensions  and
  Rig Runners are wired.

  Robert
  WN7O

  Post to: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
  Elecraft web page: http://www.elecraft.com<http://www.elecraft.com/>

RE: Anderson Connectors ARES Standard

Rich Lentz
If California is different than the standard, then why is it the same as the
Rig Runner?  Also Isn't Aptos in CA?  Then why did he chose not to follow
the CA standard?  Also, why doesn't Rig Runner sell different versions for
CA?

Now that you are thoroughly confused I think you will realize there is no
difference or different standard.

Rich,
KE0X

-

Re: Anderson Connectors ARES Standard

Trent - N7GMT
SORRY! to all for the confusion:

The way RigRunner, ARES, and everyone else does it *IS* the (new)
standard -- red-on-right looking down the wire towards the connector
(tongue down), or tongue-top-red-right looking at the connectors
(another mnemonic I was recently given).

What I was saying (tongue in cheek -- no pun intended) was that when CA
decided to standardize on Anderson Powerpoles for their ARES connectors
back some years ago, they chose one of two possible ways to have the
"uni-sex" connectors aligned ... and they chose opposite to what some
ARES groups had *been* using for many years previous -- but the CA ARES
format got accepted by national ARES as "the" standard.

So, TTRR (tongue top red right) works (looking at connector), red-right
looking down the wire, make 'em match a RigRunner, whatever mnemonic you
want to use, they're the same ... now.

[We've had lots of rewiring to do in our local ARES group to match the
(newer to us) standard, so yes there *was* actually a different
standard -- dating back > 30 years, I've let myself be told -- but we're
bowing to National ARES because it's better for everyone.]

MAKE 'EM MATCH A RIG-RUNNER AND YOU'VE GOT IT RIGHT. :)

Again, sorry for throwing chaos into the ring.

73 de Trent - N7GMT

Re: Anderson Connectors ARES Standard

Brian  Riley (maillist)
This convention started in California with Orange County RACES
 (OCRACES) and is often referred to as the OCRACES standard. It has spread
to be a national ham radio standard from there, replaicng the ARRL molex
mess. There is a  picture on the OCRACES site and the same pic is posted to
the PowerWerx website. They are one of the best, an definitely the most
reliable purveyors of Anderson powerpoles I have found.