Audio line out for digital modes

Chris Kimball
I'm considering going to digital modes with the SignalLink USB gizmo.

Connecting via the headphone out or speaker out will kill the speaker audio.  I'd like to add an audio line out, not necessarily gain-controlled, but capable of operating into the SignalLink's 600 ohm impedance. Might bring out through the disused external speaker jack.

Any suggestions before I take on the ol' 100 W iron?

Chris
NQ8Z

Re: Audio line out for digital modes

Don Wilhelm-4
Chris,

I am going to assume a K2, but you did not state which transceiver you have.

Take a look at the K2 Fixed Audio Output article on my website
www.w3fpr.com.  Boards are no longer available, but the circuit is
simple enough to build on a piece of perfboard.
You should also look at the updated design shown on Tom Hammond's (SK)
website www.n0ss.net.  If you lay all the components flat on the board,
it will fit nicely between the front panel and the control board.

On 10/29/2012 7:58 AM, Chris Kimball wrote:

> I'm considering going to digital modes with the SignalLink USB gizmo.
>
> Connecting via the headphone out or speaker out will kill the speaker audio.
> I'd like to add an audio line out, not necessarily gain-controlled, but
> capable of operating into the SignalLink's 600 ohm impedance. Might bring
> out through the disused external speaker jack.
>
> Any suggestions before I take on the ol' 100 W iron?
>
> Chris
> NQ8Z

Re: Audio line out for digital modes

Jim Dunstan
At 04:58 AM 10/29/2012 -0700, you wrote:

A very easy way of avoiding interference with your present computer audio
is to use an external audio adapter such as turtle Beach.  These audio
adapters are really mini sound cards that plug into one of your USB
ports.  The one I use is only audio out ... which I use to send audio to
the Signalink gizmo.  Audio that comes from the Signalink gizmo I connect
to my regular "Line in" connector.  The Turtle Beach adapter I use is only
audio out.  You can get them with both audio in and audio out which would
allow you to avoid using both the audio in and out on your main computer
sound card.  By the way they are very cheap and usually self install when
you plug them in to one of your USB ports.  No need for the 100W iron.

Jim, VE3CI

>I'm considering going to digital modes with the SignalLink USB gizmo.
>
>Connecting via the headphone out or speaker out will kill the speaker audio.
>I'd like to add an audio line out, not necessarily gain-controlled, but
>capable of operating into the SignalLink's 600 ohm impedance. Might bring
>out through the disused external speaker jack.
>
>Any suggestions before I take on the ol' 100 W iron?
>
>Chris
>NQ8Z

Re: Audio line out for digital modes

af9w
If you don't need stereo output, the Signalink has a speaker jack on the rear so you can hear the audio.

73 de AF9W
Bob

On Oct 29, 2012, at 4:58 AM, Chris Kimball wrote:

> I'm considering going to digital modes with the SignalLink USB gizmo.
>
> Connecting via the headphone out or speaker out will kill the speaker audio.
> I'd like to add an audio line out, not necessarily gain-controlled, but
> capable of operating into the SignalLink's 600 ohm impedance. Might bring
> out through the disused external speaker jack.
>
> Any suggestions before I take on the ol' 100 W iron?
>
> Chris
> NQ8Z

Bob Stephens AF9W