Backpacking a K1?

Mike Morrow-3
John wrote:

> Being new to the QRP universe, I was wondering how backpackable a K1
> is and if anyone does it.

The K1 is one of the best backpacking rigs that has ever existed.  I've
owned one for almost 11 years.  Backpacking or day hike use was the
reason I purchased one.  The KX1 has somewhat displaced the K1 for that
purpose, but as I outlined in a post I made on 11 April 2011 at

 http://mailman.qth.net/pipermail/elecraft/2011-April/147873.html

there are good reasons to prefer the K1 as THE best choice when ham
CW band RF performance, even when out in the boonies, is an important
factor.  Most notable, the K1 is capable of 15-meter operation, but
the KX1 is not.

When buying a new K1, there are two important options that should be
exercised:
(1)  Get the LCD backlight option.  This is trivial to install when the
     K1 is being built, but a *real* aggravation to backfit afterwards.
     It's very much worth the money.
(2)  Get the four-band filter board.  Its band-pass filtering is better
     than that of the two-band filter board, plus it more than doubles
     the utility of the K1.

I made another posting later that month that addressed batteries for
backpacking and the current consumption of the K1 at various power
levels:

 http://mailman.qth.net/pipermail/elecraft/2011-April/148720.html

If you are interested, I can send a pdf-file describing the multi-band
dipole that I use with my K1 (or other rigs) at camp sites.

Only the recently-announced but unavailable KX3 will have any chance of
displacing my old K1 as my favorite outdoors QRP rig, at least sometimes.

73,
Mike / KK5F
K1 SN 175 (November 2000)

Re: Backpacking a K1?

Dave, G4AON
I agree withMike, KK5F, and his comment about using 10 x AA cells
external to the K1 (his April 2011 post). I have used that arrangement
several times on overseas trips without issue. Under these circumstances
there are a few advantages to the external AA cell approach:

1. Using 10 x AA NiMh cells gives a nominal 12 Volts supply for a good
steady 5 Watts capability.
2. The internal battery option might look better, but if you want
rechargeable NiMh cells the Voltage is lower with 8 cells and you cannot
run as much power. In addition, freshly charged cells are warm and may
cause additional drift if used straight from charge.
3. While it's not easy to charge 10 cells, for casual operation a couple
of 2/4 way AA rapid chargers will suffice and take up little space in
luggage.
4. Lead acid batteries are heavy for air travel and despite being
sealed, the wording "acid" can cause problems with airlines and airport
security.

While my operating isn't backpacking as such, the need to keep weight
down is important. I tend towards using vertical antennas on fishing
poles rather than end fed or random length inverted "L" antennas for
increased efficiency... The need to take a length of coax is an issue as
it's heavier that the wire needed for an end fed.

If you use a K1 with the 80/40 band module, the ATU might struggle to
match some low band antennas... See my article on increasing the tuning
range: http://www.astromag.co.uk/pdfs/g4aon_kat1_mods.pdf

In addition, I use a Palm mini paddle and the wide range tilt stand to
run the radio on a table, which makes for very comfortable use.

73 Dave, G4AON
K1 #1154,

Re: Backpacking a K1

Michael Babineau-2
John :

I have both the K1 and KX1 and they are both great radios and very miserly when it comes to
power consumption.  I find that most often when I am on outings where I am walking or cycling
to my operating location .. I go with the KX1.  I have tried many different small rigs
but it really hard to beat the KX1 package with the internal tuner and KXPD1 paddle;  for size,
weight and features.

I keep my KX1, earbud headphones,  KXPD1 and pomona (Banana to BNC) adaptor  all in a small Pelican 1120
case that is totally bombproof. I never worry about the rig whether it is in the bottom of a pack, kayak or a
bicycle pannier.

Michael VE3WMB ( K1, KX1, K2 builder / user )

Re: Backpacking a K1?

Ignacy
For KX1 I use a Li-Ion 11.V 1.5 Ah battery. This battery has 12.8V max and 2 Ah models cost about <$35 with a charger. See http://www.batteryspace.com/11.1v-2000mah---5900mah-battery-modules.aspx.

Compared to NiMH they are smaller, lighter, hold charge much longer, and are more reliable. They also handle high currents better. Because of build-in protection circuitry they are also hard to destroy.

Ignacy, NO9E