Battery Life K2

Chas Nagel
Has anyone had any long term experience with the K2 battery? I think I used it once for about three hours a couple of field days ago. Now at 14.2 volts over a couple days' charge I can't get above 11.6 volts.

Charles, K0CW

Sent from my iPad

Re: Battery Life K2

Don Wilhelm-4
Charles,

That is one sign that the SLA battery has seen its "end of life".
I figure about 3 to 5 years on any lead acid battery - trying to make it
last longer is pushing your luck.
If it is something you are going to rely on for emergency use, replace
it every 3 years (in my opinion).

On 5/8/2012 10:37 AM, Charles Nagel wrote:
> Has anyone had any long term experience with the K2 battery? I think I used it once for about three hours a couple of field days ago. Now at 14.2 volts over a couple days' charge I can't get above 11.6 volts.

Re: Battery Life K2

Fred Townsend
Charles you have a shorted cell within the battery. It is a fatal error. The
battery must be replaced. Shorting of cells occurs when the battery is
allowed to remain in a discharged state, particularly in freezing weather.

Fred, AE6QL