Bio-Lite Stove & Charger

w9gb
Banned User
Looking for a power source for those QRP hiking and backpacking weekend trips?

Bio-Lite CampStove ( and charger)
http://biolitestove.com/

w9gb
Sent from the new iPad

Re: Bio-Lite Stove & Charger

N5GE-2

Interesting.  Using a fan to accelerate combustion was an intelligent idea.

An improved version would not be assembled with pop rivets.  When pop rivets are
used in thin material they tend to loosen over time. Otherwise a very innovative
approach.

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
ARRL Lifetime Member
QCWA Lifetime Member

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 09:58:56 -0500, Gregory Beat <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>Looking for a power source for those QRP hiking and backpacking weekend trips?
>
>Bio-Lite CampStove ( and charger)
>http://biolitestove.com/
>
>w9gb
>Sent from the new iPad
>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Bio-Lite Stove & Charger

w9gb
Banned User
Give Wayne 2 weeks with a Bio-Lite and he would likely have an Elecraft upgrade --
AKA MythBusters style.  :-)

w9gb

On Jul 16, 2012, at 11:49 AM, "Ron D'Eau Claire" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Interesting! The Russians had something like that back in the 1960's for
> their rural populations but I never saw one for sale here in the 'west'.
>
> The Soviet version was a mass of thermocouples (which Biolite seems to be as
> well) that sat above a kerosene lamp and generated enough electricity to run
> a small radio.
>
> 73. Ron AC7AC

Re: Bio-Lite Stove & Charger

Holger Schurig-2
What are thermocouples, peltier elements?

Re: Bio-Lite Stove & Charger

Rick Tavan N6XI
Love it - the KX3/W Wood-Powered all-band radio! Alas, with only 2W (and at
5V) out of the thermocouple, I think that idea will have to wait for
Bio-Lite Version 2.

/Rick

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Gregory Beat <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Give Wayne 2 weeks with a Bio-Lite and he would likely have an Elecraft
> upgrade --
> AKA MythBusters style.  :-)
>
> w9gb
>
> On Jul 16, 2012, at 11:49 AM, "Ron D'Eau Claire" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Interesting! The Russians had something like that back in the 1960's for
> > their rural populations but I never saw one for sale here in the 'west'.
> >
> > The Soviet version was a mass of thermocouples (which Biolite seems to
> be as
> > well) that sat above a kerosene lamp and generated enough electricity to
> run
> > a small radio.
> >
> > 73. Ron AC7AC

Rick Tavan N6XI
Truckee, CA

Re: Bio-Lite Stove & Charger

Cookie
You do not get five volts from a thermocouple.  Usually about 0.1 volts depending on the type and temperature but you can connect many in series to make a thermopile.  If you are creative you can home brew your own stove, blower and thermopile and be the first with DXCCWB (wood burning).

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 16, 2012, at 16:11, Rick Tavan N6XI <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Love it - the KX3/W Wood-Powered all-band radio! Alas, with only 2W (and at
> 5V) out of the thermocouple, I think that idea will have to wait for
> Bio-Lite Version 2.
>
> /Rick
>
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Gregory Beat <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Give Wayne 2 weeks with a Bio-Lite and he would likely have an Elecraft
>> upgrade --
>> AKA MythBusters style.  :-)
>>
>> w9gb
>>
>> On Jul 16, 2012, at 11:49 AM, "Ron D'Eau Claire" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Interesting! The Russians had something like that back in the 1960's for
>>> their rural populations but I never saw one for sale here in the 'west'.
>>>
>>> The Soviet version was a mass of thermocouples (which Biolite seems to
>> be as
>>> well) that sat above a kerosene lamp and generated enough electricity to
>> run
>>> a small radio.
>>>
>>> 73. Ron AC7AC

Re: Bio-Lite Stove & Charger

Cookie
Actually, the entire junction is immersed in the temperature to be measured with the thermocouple.  The other ends are joined in a controlled temperature area and the current is measured to find the unknown temperature.  If two thermocouples are connected in series the voltage available is doubled, tripled with three, etc. so you can accumulate any voltage you want by stacking the junctions in series.  The hotter the junction, the more voltage generated, so the heat can produce a small amount of electricity for charging a cell phone or similar low demand device.  Very handy when you have no electricity in your house and need to boil your rice anyway.  All you need is a hand full of sticks and the stove.  The thermopile also generates the electricity for the blower.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ & Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart

From: Holger Schurig [mailto:[hidden email]]

What are thermocouples, peltier elements?