CW feature: Swing?

Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO
I got used to this feature on the TS-2000. You can set "dash/dot ratio" to a number less than or greater than 3.0 (where 3.0 is the default standard -- i.e., the dash is three times the length of the dot). After experimenting, I set mine to 3.7, which gave the transmitted CW a nice little bug-like "swing". At first, I thought this was what the K3's "CW weight" parameter was for, but I immediately discovered that wasn't the case. Would any of you other CW guys out there use such an adjustment in the K3 if it were implemented? I find that's how I naturally want to send, probably a holdover from my bug days years ago.

Bill W5WVO

Re: CW feature: Swing?

Vic K2VCO
Bill W5WVO wrote:

> I got used to this feature on the TS-2000. You can set "dash/dot
> ratio" to a number less than or greater than 3.0 (where 3.0 is the
> default standard -- i.e., the dash is three times the length of the
> dot). After experimenting, I set mine to 3.7, which gave the
> transmitted CW a nice little bug-like "swing". At first, I thought
> this was what the K3's "CW weight" parameter was for, but I
> immediately discovered that wasn't the case. Would any of you other
> CW guys out there use such an adjustment in the K3 if it were
> implemented? I find that's how I naturally want to send, probably a
> holdover from my bug days years ago.

An electronic keyer with an incorrect dot-dash ratio does not sound like
a bug. It sounds like a misadjusted keyer! I wouldn't use this.

The Weight adjustment in the K2, by the way, is dot-space ratio.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

RE: CW feature: Swing?

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

RE: CW feature: Swing?

Bill Johnson-9
Ron,

I have paralleled both an N3ZN and Begali signature to key my K2's.  I bit
expensive for keying SSB transmit, but I think very impressive if not
overkill.  Can't wait to do the same for the K3 on the order list.  Maybe
I'll use just one.  And move the only the Begali to the K3?!  A bit
obsessive, except that I actually operate C.W. here and there.  :-)

72,

Bill

K9YEQ
K2 #35, K2 # 5279, KX1 #35, Mini Modules, etc.

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 13:34:23 -0600, "Bill W5WVO" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I got used to this feature on the TS-2000. You can set "dash/dot ratio" to a number less than or greater than 3.0 (where 3.0 is the default standard -- i.e., the dash is three times the length of the dot). After experimenting, I set mine to 3.7, which gave the transmitted CW a nice little bug-like "swing". At first, I thought this was what the K3's "CW weight" parameter was for, but I immediately discovered that wasn't the case. Would any of you other CW guys out there use such an adjustment in the K3 if it were implemented? I find that's how I naturally want to send, probably a holdover from my bug days years ago.
>
>Bill W5WVO
[snip]

I would never use it.

Tom, N5GE - SWOT 3537 - Grid EM12jq

"Those who would give up
Essential Liberty to
purchase a little Temporary
Safety deserve neither
Liberty nor Safety"

An excerpt from a letter
written in 1755 from the
Assembly to the Governor
of Pennsylvania.

Support the entire Constitution, not
just the parts you like.

http://www.n5ge.com
http://www.eQSL.cc/Member.cfm?N5GE

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: CW feature: Swing?

w7aqk
In my view, the so called "bug swing" is anything but
"nice"!  Why anyone would try to send anything but correctly
formed code characters is beyond me!

Dave W7AQK

<[hidden email]> wrote:

>I got used to this feature on the TS-2000. You can set
>"dash/dot ratio" to a number less than or greater than 3.0
>(where 3.0 is the default standard -- i.e., the dash is
>three times the length of the dot). After experimenting, I
>set mine to 3.7, which gave the transmitted CW a nice
>little bug-like "swing". At first, I thought this was what
>the K3's "CW weight" parameter was for, but I immediately
>discovered that wasn't the case. Would any of you other CW
>guys out there use such an adjustment in the K3 if it were
>implemented? I find that's how I naturally want to send,
>probably a holdover from my bug days years ago.
>
>Bill W5WVO
[snip]

I would never use it.

Tom, N5GE - SWOT 3537 - Grid EM12jq

"Those who would give up
Essential Liberty to
purchase a little Temporary
Safety deserve neither
Liberty nor Safety"

An excerpt from a letter
written in 1755 from the
Assembly to the Governor
of Pennsylvania.

Support the entire Constitution, not
just the parts you like.

http://www.n5ge.com
http://www.eQSL.cc/Member.cfm?N5GE

Re: CW feature: Swing?

Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO
Well, lots of replies, both public and private. By overwhelming
preponderance, the opinion of the Elecraft community is...

AAAAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!! (retch, heave)

Just forget I brought it, please...  ;-)

Bill W5WVO

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: CW feature: Swing?

Bob Cunnings NW8L
I'm a fan of GHD bugs (currently using a dual lever GN107WS), and
recently noticed that they offer an electronic keyer with what they
call "E-Bug" mode. I wasn't sure what to make of it but the ablility
to record even straight key messages seemed interesting.

I must confess that I don't mind hearing a wee bit of swing in a
signal myself, but do strive to send as correctly as I can.

Bob NW8L

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Ron D'Eau Claire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You'll find lots of support too, Bill. Just not so vocal here, I guess.
>
> A long time ago I suggested a "bug mode" in the Elecraft keyers. That would
> provide automatic dits like a bug but manual dashes: as long as the dash
> paddle was closed the rig would be keyed. I wanted it not so much to alter
> the timing (although I use the telegraph long dash for a zero which can't be
> done correctly on a keyer) but I find my bug timing suffers if I use a
> keyer. I quickly "forget" how to time CW properly if the keyer does it for
> me.

Re: CW feature: Swing?

w7aqk
Ron and All,

Ron, you must be from south Louisiana!  Hard to get that
zydeco (spelling?) rhythm out of your soul!  Hi.

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Dave W7AQK

You'll find lots of support too, Bill. Just not so vocal
here, I guess.

A long time ago I suggested a "bug mode" in the Elecraft
keyers. That would
provide automatic dits like a bug but manual dashes: as long
as the dash
paddle was closed the rig would be keyed. I wanted it not so
much to alter
the timing (although I use the telegraph long dash for a
zero which can't be
done correctly on a keyer) but I find my bug timing suffers
if I use a
keyer. I quickly "forget" how to time CW properly if the
keyer does it for
me.

Actually, that can be achieved on the K2 with some diodes to
fool the keyer
into thinking a straight key is connected to the input when
the dash lever
is pressed. But I was looking for a method that didn't
involve outboard
parts.

I enjoy the sound of a straight key, either a hand pump or a
bug. I liken a
swing to an "accent".  Sometimes a little swing provides
character to the
sound that I find delightful to hear. But such a swing is
not consistent,
any more than a speaker with an accent pronounces a syllable
consistently in
every word.

Just tuning across the bands, I have noticed that the most
pleasant sounding
(to me) fists usually turn out to be bugs or straight keys.

But there are many Hams who have a very difficult time
copying CW that isn't
"machine perfect". For them, any swing or variation in
timing seems to be
frustrating beyond words. I'm sure there are many who are
unhappy with my
"fist".

We Hams are a disparate bunch. Let the good times roll...

Ron AC7AC

RE: CW feature: Swing?

Joe Subich, W4TV-3

The K1EL WinKey keyers (and I presume the K-series stand alone keyers)
offer "Vibroplex" mode that make automatic dits and manual dahs.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

Darwin, Keith

In my view, the so called "bug swing" is anything but "nice"!  Why
anyone would try to send anything but correctly formed code characters
is beyond me!

Dave W7AQK

----------------------------

Imagine a world where nobody spoke into the mic.  Instead, rigs had
computer voice generation inside.  What came out were your words, but
spoken by a robotic artificial voice with perfect pronunciation at just
the right speed with just the right tone to cut through and improve
communications.

Keyers have served to make CW nice & uniform but have also taken much of
the life out of the mode for me.  I much prefer to work someone who is
using a straight key or bug and is sending good code that still has a
bit of human flavor to it.

Having said that, I agree with you regarding intentional bug swing.  If
the OP is trying to swing, intentionally messing up the code because it
sounds "cool" then that is a bad thing.

NNMA instead of CQ is a sign of a poor operator who hasn't mastered the
bug.

- Keith N1AS -
- K3 711 -

RE: CW feature: Swing?

Arie Kleingeld PA3A
CW-swing is related to music. Timing is so important.

Ella Fitzgerald and Frank Sinatra are still famous for their timing.
A 1-2-3-4 march has a steady beat. But have you ever heard the Saint
Louis Blues March?
Lots of examples...

73
Arie PA3A

Re: CW feature: Swing?

N5GE
On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 15:02:38 +0200, "Arie Kleingeld PA3A" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>CW-swing is related to music.

No it isn't.  It's related a person with a poor fist that cannot control the
length of the dashes to match the dots they are sending.  It has nothing to do
with music; It has to do with reliable communication.  I believe most bug users
who tout the Mississippi Swing should QLF.

> Timing is so important.

That is correct.  A Dash has three times the length of three dots, no more, no
less.  Even Beethoven knew that, as shown in his fifth symphony.

>Ella Fitzgerald and Frank Sinatra are still famous for their timing.
>A 1-2-3-4 march has a steady beat. But have you ever heard the Saint
>Louis Blues March?
>Lots of examples...

None of your examples were CW operators and probably didn't even know what it
was...

[snip]

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: CW feature: Swing?

Thom LaCosta-2
At 11:16 PM 06/30/08, Tom Childers, N5GE wrote:

> >CW-swing is related to music.
>
>No it isn't.  It's related a person with a poor fist that cannot control the
>length of the dashes to match the dots they are sending.  It has nothing to do
>with music; It has to do with reliable communication.  I believe
>most bug users
>who tout the Mississippi Swing should QLF.

Perhaps it's also valid to say that folks who can't copy
machine-perfect cw should also QLF.

I'm really happy that attitudes like the one you have stated weren't
popular when I started....they
would have driven a lot of old timers with more cw and telegraph
experience that most off the air and certainly discouraged new folks.

Hard to imagine telling my Elmer that his cw was bad 'cause it didn't
like a machine.  Hard to imagine that when I hung out at a coast
station and the ops let me hear the day-to-day communnications that I
would tell them their cw was bad.

I suspect that folks that are tone-deaf may not understand some of
the more subtile points of cadence and spacing.

73,
Thom k3hrn

Re: OT CW feature: Swing?

john petters

Thom LaCosta wrote:

> At 11:16 PM 06/30/08, Tom Childers, N5GE wrote:
>
>> >CW-swing is related to music.
>>
>> No it isn't.  It's related a person with a poor fist that cannot
>> control the
>> length of the dashes to match the dots they are sending.  It has
>> nothing to do
>> with music; It has to do with reliable communication.  I believe most
>> bug users
>> who tout the Mississippi Swing should QLF.

As pro Swing drummer I would say its a pity there is not a bit more
swing to many of the CW stations I copy. Many straight and bug operators
were recognisable by their 'fist'. Too many today use keyers that are
set too fast or have no rhythmic sense at all, running characters
together, which makes it very hard to copy.
Perhaps Elecraft could come up with QSD correcter.
73
John G3YPZ www.traditional-jazz.com

Re: OT CW feature: Swing?

Thom LaCosta-2
At 04:46 AM 07/01/08, john petters wrote:

>As pro Swing drummer I would say its a pity there is not a bit more
>swing to many of the CW stations I copy. Many straight and bug
>operators were recognisable by their 'fist'. Too many today use
>keyers that are set too fast or have no rhythmic sense at all,
>running characters together, which makes it very hard to copy.

I'm sure with a little bit of work, we can turn this into a
discussion with the fervor of which end of the egg does one crack.

I often heard  there are no 90 degree angles in nature...and I
suspect that one would be hard pressed to find perfectly formed sounds.

I have very fond memories of recognizing old friends by their fists,
before they signed their calls...and was always pleased when someone
would recognize me.

>Perhaps Elecraft could come up with QSD correcter.

Na....if they haven't responded to the numerous requests for bug
emulation, etc., they most likely will not develop the corrector.

Back to the imperfect world....I need to tend to my imperfect plants,
with their less than perfect soil so that they will produce less than
perfect veggies....

73,
Thom k3hrn

Re: OT CW feature: Swing?

KENT TRIMBLE
John, old chap . . .

While agreeing completely with you about idiots running characters
together, I disagree completely with you about pitying the lack of fist
swings.  CW is not music.  It is not amenable to individual
interpretation.  It is the very antithesis of what you are proposing.  I
grew up in the CW "swing era" and absolutely hated having to copy that
stuff.  So-called lyrical "swings" are anathema to the accurate
transmission of signal intelligence.  Electronic keyers are a gift from
the gods precisely because they ameliorate bad sending and individual
"styles."

Enjoy your jazz.  Enjoy your CW.  But don't ever confuse the two.

73,

Kent  K9ZTV

john petters wrote:

> As pro Swing drummer I would say its a pity there is not a bit more
> swing to many of the CW stations I copy. Many straight and bug
> operators were recognisable by their 'fist'. Too many today use keyers
> that are set too fast or have no rhythmic sense at all, running
> characters together, which makes it very hard to copy.
> Perhaps Elecraft could come up with QSD correcter.
> 73
> John G3YPZ www.traditional-jazz.com

Re: OT CW feature: Swing?

WILLIS COOKE

--- john petters <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thom LaCosta wrote:

> >> No it isn't.  It's related a person with a poor
> fist that cannot
> >> control the
> >> length of the dashes to match the dots they are
> sending.  It has
> >> nothing to do
> >> with music; It has to do with reliable
> communication.  I believe most
> >> bug users
> >> who tout the Mississippi Swing should QLF.
>
> As pro Swing drummer I would say its a pity there is
> not a bit more
> swing to many of the CW stations I copy. Many
> straight and bug operators
> were recognisable by their 'fist'. Too many today
> use keyers that are
> set too fast or have no rhythmic sense at all,
> running characters
> together, which makes it very hard to copy.
> Perhaps Elecraft could come up with QSD correcter.
> 73
> John G3YPZ www.traditional-jazz.com
For those who agree with John, you should join us in
the SKCC in using hand pumps and bugs on a regular
basis.  Trying to make an electronic key sound like a
straight key or a bug sounds like an exercise in
futility to me.  The operator needs to have continuous
input to have a unique fist.  Changing the keyer will
just sound like you changed the keyer.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ