CW

Paul Bartlett
Hi all,

I've mumbled on about this on a couple of occasions on several lists.

I'm trying to bring my Morse up to an acceptable standard.

I've tried a number of approaches but so far nothing seems to work for me.
Oddly, I can send at modest speeds but seem to be almost completely unable
to read incoming.

My nice K2 is sitting forlornly at the back of the bench.

Any suggestions?

Paul

Re: CW

N2EY
In a message dated 9/25/04 12:28:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[hidden email] writes:

> I've tried a number of approaches but so far nothing seems to work for me.

What approaches have you tried so far?

> Oddly, I can send at modest speeds but seem to be almost completely unable
> to read incoming.

That's not odd at all. Sending and receiving are related skills but ability
to do one doesn't mean you can do the other. I could send long before I learned
to receive.

Have you tried the G4FON software package?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Re: CW

Hisashi T Fujinaka
On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, Paul Bartlett wrote:

> I've mumbled on about this on a couple of occasions on several lists.
>
> I'm trying to bring my Morse up to an acceptable standard.
>
> I've tried a number of approaches but so far nothing seems to work for me.
> Oddly, I can send at modest speeds but seem to be almost completely unable
> to read incoming.
>
> My nice K2 is sitting forlornly at the back of the bench.
>
> Any suggestions?

google for ah0a and for k7qo. The first is a program, the second is a
complete course of mp3s that fit on a cd.

--
Hisashi T Fujinaka - [hidden email]

Re: CW

Augie "Gus" Hansen
On 9/25/04 10:26 AM, "Paul Bartlett" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm trying to bring my Morse up to an acceptable standard.
>
> I've tried a number of approaches but so far nothing seems to work for me.
> Oddly, I can send at modest speeds but seem to be almost completely unable
> to read incoming.
> Any suggestions?

Hi Paul,

I recommend the Koch method. It can get you familiar with the code and up to
speed faster than any other approach I've tried.

Look for the computer program on the web site run by G4FON. It is a free
download and well worth the effort.

Good luck and CUL,
Gus Hansen
KB0YH

Re: CW

Ward Willats-3
At 10:59 AM -0600 9/25/04, Augie Hansen wrote:
>  > Any suggestions?

I am enjoying the practice CD from Buckmaster on the drive to work.
Helps with head-copy. The quality of the recorded tone is not
everything they say, but the actual material is fun. Someone had a
good time picking out oddball words.

http://hamcall.net/codedisc.html

-- Ward / KG6HAF

RE: CW

Ron D'Eau Claire-2
Do you mean that you can't read CW at ANY speed Paul?

Assuming that you know the Morse characters, I'd suggest the W1AW code
transmissions for copy practice or one of the CW "tutor" programs, or both.
If you use a tutorial program I recommend that you do NOT use a "Farnsworth"
type program in which characters are sent very fast, but with large spaces
in between them. That's an excellent system to learn CW quickly, but it can
backfire on the Ham bands. The idea behind the Farnsworth method is that the
spacing between letters is diminished until you are receiving CW with the
correct spacing at the speed you wanted, but in real life on the Ham bands
one must be able to read any speed from less than 10 to 20 or so for casual
operating. Of course, you can find faster and slower ops, but I'm speaking
of the 90% of 'casual operating' and rag-chewing on CW.

I have met several ops who learned the Farnsworth method to pass the test,
then had to relearn CW almost from "scratch" before they could operate on
the air. They would read CQ sent at 8 wpm as T E T E     T T E T. Doesn't
work!

I have always advocated getting "on the air" as quickly as possible. In my
experience, nothing whets the receiving skills with more enjoyment than real
life contacts at whatever speed you can handle. Just be sure you are sending
at the speed you want to receive. Any good operator always matches the other
station's speed as long as he/she can do it competently. So if you want to
receive at 10 wpm, be certain your aren't sending at 15 wpm! And don't be
afraid to ask the other station to QRS PSE.

One of the things many ops tell me gets in the way of their receiving is
simply on-air jitters. I can understand that. Shoot, I had on-air jitters on
the old Novice bands in the early 50's so bad I can still remember them! And
the Novice bands we had then were wonderful; A chunk of the band filled with
newcomers all thrashing around trying to figure out how to operate (and get
out of our own back yards - almost every rig was homebrew and no one had
heard of an SWR meter!). I can imagine that it's a little more intimidating
today without that well-defined playground for getting started. Still, it's
the rare op who won't make time and QRS for a newcomer. Just be sure you are
sending at your receiving speed, and if the other station doesn't match it,
ask QRS PSE.

I'd suggest 40 or 80 meters for initial operating. The reason is that the
cdx on those bands are usually more stable for short skip or ground wave
contacts - the easiest way to get steady good signals. That's not to say you
must have any particular skill level before trying any band. I occasionally
hear of a newcomer who says an OT warned him to stay away from 20 meters
until he had "experience". Utter nonsense! But the higher bands are more
likely to experience quick propagation changes that make copy go from
perfect to impossible in a matter of seconds. That can be very frustrating
when you need to get repeats of his name or QTH.

It's perfectly all right to make your QSO's simple REPT, NAME, QTH exchanges
if you find it hard to think while operating. I've been pounding brass for
over half a century so far, and I'd forgotten just how hard it can be for
some new ops to think of what to say while at the key, and that raises the
stress level and interferes with copy too. I have a hunch that my first 100
QSO's were nothing but: RPT, NAME, QTH 73 OM, SK. If that's the case, try
writing down some information you can simply copy, such as a description of
your station, information about your QTH, etc. You can even write down some
info about learning the code that you can send was needed, e.g.: NEW CW OP
HR OM. PSE BEAR WITH ME. TRYING TO GET ON AIR PRACTICE TO IMPROVE MY CW.

Put this stuff on cards so you can refer to it as needed during a QSO so you
can just sit at the key and copy it.

I have a buddy who had learned Farnsworth and he overcame that training by
spending many hours puttering around his house and shack just listening to
CW on his K2. Listening to W1AW, listening to any strong QSO he happened to
find, trying to pick out letters. That helped his ability to follow CW at a
range of speeds in spite of QRN and QSB and helped him start to copy words
"in his head".

Ron AC7AC

Re: CW

Larry Makoski W2LJ
Paul Bartlett wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm trying to bring my Morse up to an acceptable standard.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Paul

Paul,

Here's a very good shareware program:

http://www.qsl.net/g4fon/CW%20Trainer.htm

73 de Larry W2LJ

Re: CW

Jack Brindle
On Sep 25, 2004, at 9:26 AM, Paul Bartlett wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've mumbled on about this on a couple of occasions on several lists.
>
> I'm trying to bring my Morse up to an acceptable standard.
>
> I've tried a number of approaches but so far nothing seems to work for
> me.
> Oddly, I can send at modest speeds but seem to be almost completely
> unable
> to read incoming.

Gosh, I'm surprised no one has mentioned this. The ARRL sends code
practice many times a day on multiple frequencies. I tend to tune that
in from time to time while I'm in my workshop as background "noise."
While I still have to concentrate on what I am hearing to get much
above 15WPM, I can tell my CW copy is getting at least slightly better.
Now I realize that you are on the other side of the "pond" and the
times might be inconvenient, plus the League beams their transmissions
west, so you might want to inquire at the RSGB or any of th eother
European radio clubs to see what they have available.

> My nice K2 is sitting forlornly at the back of the bench.

The best way to improve your CW copy skills is to move the K2 to the
front of your bench, connect it to a suitable antenna and power supply,
power it up and start listening. That way you will be able to take
advantage of the suggestion above and maybe have a few QSOs with
others. The only way to build and maintain the CW skill is to use it.
So make that K2 less lonely!

- Jack Brindle, WA4FIB

Re: CW

Paul,

Check out "The Code Player" article in the August 2004 issue of QST.  It is
a small portable unit that will play code to you while you walk around or do
other things.  Speed can be adjusted from 5 to 60 wpm.

Build it, download text files from the computer and use it as a good
portable device to practice 'head-copy'.

I built one and I like it!!!

> Hi all,
>
> I've mumbled on about this on a couple of occasions on several lists.
>
> I'm trying to bring my Morse up to an acceptable standard.
>
> I've tried a number of approaches but so far nothing seems to work for me.
> Oddly, I can send at modest speeds but seem to be almost completely unable
> to read incoming.
>
> My nice K2 is sitting forlornly at the back of the bench.
>
> Any suggestions?

Re: CW

Bert Craig-2
Practice, practice, and then practice some more. I used to furl my eyebrows when some Elmer-types said this to me but they were right. Start off w/slow-code QSO's and just keep puttin' them in the bank. You won't even notice as your proficiency will slowly but surely rises. Trust me on this, there are plenty of folks that are truly patient and will hang in there and match whatever speed is most comfortable for you.

Re. the reading, I felt (and still feel at times) the same way. I made a conscious decision to put my pen down and just listen. It may be tough at first but it might also surprise you how you start to pick out phrases like "name hr is," "nice to meet u," "rig hr is," or tnx fer call," etc... I've just started jotting down little details to help me when it's my go. BTW, it you miss the QTH, just listen for the comma and concentrate on the next two characters...they're usually enough. Best of luck to you es vy... ;-)

73 de Bert
WA2SI

I'm on 7040 kHz every AM at approx. 0830z and most eves. at 0100z. I'll QSO w/you every night until you're comfy. I'm QRP, but don't let the pond between us fool you, it can be done.

> I've mumbled on about this on a couple of occasions on several lists.
>
> I'm trying to bring my Morse up to an acceptable standard.
>
> I've tried a number of approaches but so far nothing seems to work
> for me.
> Oddly, I can send at modest speeds but seem to be almost
> completely unable
> to read incoming.
>
> My nice K2 is sitting forlornly at the back of the bench.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Paul

Re: CW

Tom Hammond-3
Hi Paul:

>I've tried a number of approaches but so far nothing seems to work for me.
>Oddly, I can send at modest speeds but seem to be almost completely unable
>to read incoming.

This is not at all unusual... and stems from the fact that, when sending,
you already KNOW what it is you wish to send, and can form the characters
in your head long before you must spit them out using the key/paddle.
However, the reverse is not necessarily true... you must first hear the
code, decode it, and then write it down... as a result for most folks,
receiving is much slower than sending, and takes a LOT more time/effort
to  master.

>My nice K2 is sitting forlornly at the back of the bench.
>
>Any suggestions?

Certainly... Assuming you already are at least pretty much completely
'conversant' with the Morse Code, GET ON THE AIR at whatever speed you can
muster (sending, of course, at the speed at which you can COPY, rather than
at the highest speed you can send).

GUT IT OUT, pal... that's the name of the game... the more you're on the
air, working other stations, at whatever speed, the more real-time practice
you will gain and the better you will become. One can only get so much
benefit from tapes/CDs/and PCs... you NEED real-life on-the-air operation
to do it right.

NEVER feel ashamed to get on the air, and NEVER.. NEVER.. be timid about
asking for a QRS as long as you're not sending faster than you can copy
(unless asked to do so). Stations you work SHOULD be courteous an send to
you at the speed YOU are sending. If they don't, politely ASK them to QRS.
If they won't politely make use of the VFO knob to find someone who will.

Don't spend all your time calling CQ! Find others calling CQ and answer
them.. even though you might have to send a bit slower than they are
sending when they call CW... with luck, they'll QRS to your speed for the QSO.

Try to make no less than 1-2 QSOs each day... If you miss a couple days,
that's OK, as long as you don't fall into a rut of missing more days than
you hit! This is also an easy rut to fall into... but totally non-productive.

Generally, the higher in the (CW) band you operate, the slower the stations
will send, though this 'rule' is becoming a bit more 'muddled' with more
and more 5 WPM operators showing up on the bands. But start out at the
upper end of the band and work your way down, as required to find a QSO.

Don't worry if you can't copy 100% of that the other guy sends!!! Try to
find someone sending at a speed which you can only copy about 85% or so...
this speed will 'push' you a bit, and is just what you're looking for... if
you always work stations whom you can copy 100%, then you're not being
challenged! Try to copy the important words in the conversation... RST,
name, QTH, etc. Not to work about copying the "the's, and's, of's, etc.",
they carry little information... write down the important stuff. this will
become much easier as your speed approaches 15WPM or so, and will usually
become a necessity once you get to about 22 WPM or above.

Don't get in a hurry!!! Doing it right takes time... and you want to do it
right!!!

There's nothing(!) wrong with CW training tapes/CD's/PC programs. Just
don't use them to the exclusion of all other available options, and your K2
is the BEST option. You will NEED to avail yourself of being able to work
stations who don't have 'perfect' fists... only about 10% of the ops out
there have (nearly) perfect fists... the others will have sending quirks
which you'll need to learn to deal with, like it or not. If you can only
copy perfectly-sent code, then you're dead in the water when you get on the
air... learn to copy all fists... again, it takes time and a LOT of
practice, but it's a necessity for complete enjoyment of the mode, and
that's what it's all about.

Good luck.

ANY time you get flustered and need some encouragement, just ask here...
there are a BUNCH of CW nuts here who will be more than willing to give you
a kick-start... and we've ALL got our own opinions about how to do it
right, so read everyone's comments...

Cheers,

Tom Hammond    N0SS
99.5% CW for the past 46 years

Re: CW

Paul Bartlett
Tom, and all others who responded so quickly with kind comments and
suggestions.

You've all given me a real boost.

The main obstacle to date (I built the K2 nearly 18 months ago) has been a
fear of making a fool of myself on air.

I'm unable to work at the moment due to ill health and have some time to
kill so I shall spend a few days with one or other PC packages to refresh
the basics and then tentatively plug in the key.

Thanks to you all.

Paul M3CRQ

p.s. Extra special thanks to Bill K4KSR for his encouragement too - and my
one and only QSL card which I have yet to reciprocate. Short contact, bad
Morse on my part but received a 339 in difficult conditions on 40m. K2
running 10W into a full size G5RV (no ATU). We were lucky. Thanks are also
due to Ian, VK2TIP who started it all and Peter G4OST who is my tutor for
the licence.

> [...]

> is the BEST option. You will NEED to avail yourself of being able to work
> stations who don't have 'perfect' fists... only about 10% of the ops out
> there have (nearly) perfect fists... the others will have sending quirks
> which you'll need to learn to deal with, like it or not. If you can only
> copy perfectly-sent code, then you're dead in the water when you get on
the
> air... learn to copy all fists... again, it takes time and a LOT of
> practice, but it's a necessity for complete enjoyment of the mode, and
> that's what it's all about.
>
> Good luck.
>
> ANY time you get flustered and need some encouragement, just ask here...
> there are a BUNCH of CW nuts here who will be more than willing to give
you

> a kick-start... and we've ALL got our own opinions about how to do it

Re: CW

Tom Hammond-3
Paul:

Hang in there, pal... you'll get through it.. just takes timne, persistance
(lots) and the will to press on, even when it first appears that all hope
is lost... it's not, it'll just seem that way at times. You'll have tood
(and bad) days. Fortunately, the good will (eventually) outnumber the bad,
and then things'll start to really become FUN!

NEVER fear making a fool of yourself... EVREY ONE OF US have been there,
and most of still remember it... as a result, we're happy to work with
newbies, AND to QRS for them when it is appropriate. For those who don't
QRS... BAH ON THEM!

hope your health improves... getting 'well' isn't always fun, but it IS a
requisite and certainly an objective!

73,

Tom   N0SS

At 05:07 PM 9/25/04, you wrote:
>The main obstacle to date (I built the K2 nearly 18 months ago) has been a
>fear of making a fool of myself on air.

Re: CW

n6wg
Paul
If you have access to any kind of tape recorder, practice sending while
recording.  Then listen to your cw from the tape.  By now you have
an idea of what decent cw should sound like.  This way you can be your
own coach.  Go back for another session and work on the imperfections
you heard on the tape.

Good luck and 73
Bob N6WG