Could this operate on a motorcycle?

Re: Could this operate on a motorcycle?

Jim Brown-10
On 5/4/2014 5:17 PM, Russell Conner wrote:
> well, the naysayers have convinced me, the Elecraft is not the radio for me
> for this application, and this is the application I need to solve first. A
> home station is a year or two away, if ever.

Hi Russell,

Congratulations on getting your license. The experience and backgrounds
of those who have offered advice is pretty widely varied -- everything
from true expert to opinions only to hearsay. Most of us own Elecraft
rigs, and most have owned lots of other rigs too, over the years. I've
had nearly 20 in the 60 years I've been a ham. Many of us own and use 2M
and 440 MHz rigs -- I certainly do -- and I mostly use them on the road.

I agree with the advice that Elecraft does not make a product to do what
you want on your motorcycle -- for the short distances involved, I'd be
looking at either a 2M rig if all the guys in your group are hams, or an
FRS radio if they are not, looking for something you can fit with a
suitable headset.

As others have noted, the KX3 is a great rig for home, backpacking, and
travel. That's what it's designed for. When you are ready for a rig like
that, it's head and shoulders above the rest. Sort of like the
difference between a Harley and a motor scooter. :)

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Could this operate on a motorcycle?

rgconner
Hmm. What I think the biggest issue is that I am both a motorcycle enthusiast and a budding HAM enthusiast... although the shine is coming off quickly.

"Motor scooters" come in 600+ cc now, they are as big and fast as half the motorcycles out there. BMW's C600 will cruise all day long, and you can get up and 1000 miles again the next day if you want.

This highlights the difficulty: lack of mine and others knowledge of both spheres in equal depth. I know motorcycles. I don't know HAM as well. You all know the HAM as well, but there seems to be not an overlap with motorcycles so much.

And, considering the spec this was designed for: "home, backpacking, and travel." it sounds like another product: cell phones.

And we motorcyclists mount our cellphones to the handlebars all the time, even small tablets.

So I am surprised those products fair better than the KX3 in the overlapping "home, backpacking, and travel." environment.

I have broken 3 phones packpacking, so I guess the KX3 is out altogether if it is not as rugged as as say, a Galaxy S phone.

My 2c worth.

On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 5:59 PM, Jim Brown-10 [via Elecraft] <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 5/4/2014 5:17 PM, Russell Conner wrote:
> well, the naysayers have convinced me, the Elecraft is not the radio for me
> for this application, and this is the application I need to solve first. A
> home station is a year or two away, if ever.

Hi Russell,

Congratulations on getting your license. The experience and backgrounds
of those who have offered advice is pretty widely varied -- everything
from true expert to opinions only to hearsay. Most of us own Elecraft
rigs, and most have owned lots of other rigs too, over the years. I've
had nearly 20 in the 60 years I've been a ham. Many of us own and use 2M
and 440 MHz rigs -- I certainly do -- and I mostly use them on the road.

I agree with the advice that Elecraft does not make a product to do what
you want on your motorcycle -- for the short distances involved, I'd be
looking at either a 2M rig if all the guys in your group are hams, or an
FRS radio if they are not, looking for something you can fit with a
suitable headset.

As others have noted, the KX3 is a great rig for home, backpacking, and
travel. That's what it's designed for. When you are ready for a rig like
that, it's head and shoulders above the rest. Sort of like the
difference between a Harley and a motor scooter. :)

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to [hidden email]

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/Could-this-operate-on-a-motorcycle-tp7588505p7588568.html
To unsubscribe from Could this operate on a motorcycle?, click here.
NAML

Re: Could this operate on a motorcycle?

JHRichards
Hmmm.... kinda biting the hand that feeds you, here.      ;-)

Considering your last three posts, you are kinda sound just a little bit
angry we do not agree with your plan.  You are, of course, free to buy
the rig and use the radio as you think best, but it may be just a wee
bit inappropriate to blame us for your disappointment that we do not
think the rig is the best tool for the given task.

Your condescending remarks are misplaced and tantamount to a lawyer
impeaching his own witness ... sorry he asked, not because he was out of
line, or that the question was improper;   but  because he simply did
not get the answer he wanted!   You impugn our knowledge of the
application ... but frankly there are many among us who have deep
insight into, and experience in, the very application you ask about.

Good luck on the project, your club is lucky to have such a staunch
advocate researching the options.

Just MY take... Happy days, OM.

-------------------  K8JHR  ----------------------

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Could this operate on a motorcycle?

Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT
On 5/4/2014 5:30 PM, Phil Kane wrote:
> Consider the RF Exposure hazard of sitting that close to a 100 watt
> antenna!  50 W may even be too much.
Personally, I'd use some kind of mast, and get the antenna UP so I was
under the radiation pattern instead of in it, and if the HT on low power
drove it to 20-30 watts, that's what I'd use most of the time.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Could this operate on a motorcycle?

rgconner
As I have stated many times. 5w is not cutting it.
Sorry, it is not. People saying it is all I need is not changing the facts.
With a 5.1Db gain antenna, the local terrain is killing the signals in
larger than 12 man groups, single file through the hills.

We need more in many cases.

On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 6:29 PM, Walter Underwood <[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
> >> difference between a Harley and a motor scooter. :)
> >>
> >> 73, Jim K9YC
> >> Post: mailto:[hidden email]<
> http://user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=7588568&i=0>
> >>
> >> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> >> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> >> Message delivered to [hidden email]<
> http://user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=7588568&i=1>

> >> .
> >> NAML<

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml

How big is that unit, what brand and model?

If something is the same size and does 50-70w, I am all for it.

My stated requirement is to mount it on the handlebars, and that space is
just about 4x9x3, the size of the RAM mount box I specified.

So what unit meets those previously stated requirements?

On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 6:47 PM, Walter Underwood <[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
> for
> first.

> backgrounds
> 2M
> road.

> what
> be
> an

> and
> like

> http://user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=7588568&i=0>

> http://user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=7588568&i=1>

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml

Yep, great if I had a K1600 or a Goldwing, etc, but the small cockpit of
the F700gs does not have that sort of room.
A detachable faceplate might do the trick, but still not be weatherproof
enough.

Private emails with gary to cut down on the cross talk has pointed out a
key thing I had not considered:

I am listening in an open vechicle, over a headset in a helmet. The sound
quality of the KX3 is going to be lost, and fidelity won't be much better
than the FT-60, without all the issues of mounting.

So there you go. Killed by a requirement I had not considered but became
clear as Gary and I shared ideas.

On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 7:23 PM, Walter Underwood <[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
> everything
> Elecraft
> I've
> use 2M
> road.

> what
> I'd be
> or an

> and
> like

> http://user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=7588568&i=0>

> http://user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=7588568&i=1>

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml

mcduffie
On Sun, 4 May 2014 16:35:16 -0700, Russell Conner wrote:

> Well, I thought I mentioned we were all using Comet or Diamond, I think the worse is a Db5.1 gain anntena and the Elmer has a SWR meter, and we are all losing less than 10% on most of the bands we use.

Are you aware of the radiation pattern of a high gain antenna?  Look into it.

Gary - AG0N

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Could this operate on a motorcycle?

grif80128@comcast.net
Russell-

Congrats on the Tech license. You started an interesting thread. As I see it you are on a sport bike looking to keep in contact through varied terrain with 12 or so other bikes. I'm a Gold Winger, with over a decade on the marque, and we use our CBs, contrary to some comments here. It's not always easy and there are limits with distance and terrain. I seen some pretty amazing HT VHF/UHF set-ups on Wings-APRS and all! You speak of requirements and I'm not sure what exactly you need. Reading between the lines, there seems to be a direction to be in contact with all riders on the ride 100% of the time. The rig has to fit on/in your scoot. An unspoken requirement is that every rider on the ride is a licensed ham. A potential requirement is to able to contact emergency responders whenever needed. I don't think that any of these is a reasonable requirement. Sport riders in the Front Range near Denver/Boulder/Ft Collins most often are seen with the FRS clip on transceivers. I have seen no sport rider using CBs. Still there are areas and terrain where communications are minimal-even with satellite phones!

When the problem looks insurmountable, perhaps a requirement revisit is the answer. First, 12 bikes in a group presents certain risks to all on the road-cagers, too. Operating a radio while riding twisties is a distraction that I think may be counter productive. I suggest that there are other ride models that may be more beneficial to you and your friends. Breaking into smaller, more manageable groups-say of 3-5 bikes, might be suggested. Smaller groups are more likely to maintain a closer distance lead to drag. Tighter groups would be able to maintain contact with each bike in the group at a lower wattage. FRS helmet radios are less expensive and are designed for your application. If you do find a radio that will fit the next problem will be an antenna and installation that won't make the scoot look trashed. Good luck with the problem.

Jin KC0TRK

Re: Could this operate on a motorcycle?

rgconner
You don't have the requirements right.

We split to under 12 if we have more than 12 bikes, sometimes less, we
broke into 4 and 4 once, just because we had a less skilled group on what
was to be a spirited ride.

There is no requirement for 100% rider participation. Only the ride
officials, Captains, wingmen, and tail gunners are likely to be HAM
operators. Last ride I was on, I was the only HAM, we used FRS.

With PTT and helmet speakers, the operation is no more complex than hitting
the horn or flashing the lights. It is right there by the thumb of the
Clutch hand.

CB is worse than useless. It is dangerous because key ups with intentional
feedback startle you. no one turns on the CB
 in central Califoria, it appears to be populated by crack addicts.

FRS/MURS is iffy, we were at Point Reyes and the working farms around us
were chattering away on Blue Dot, Green Dot, and even some of the GMRS
channels. We get what sounds like warehouses and gravel yards, and even
garbage dumps chatter when we ride around.

But no repeaters if the ride gets split. Happened this weekend, I lead the
rear group 5 miles out of the way because the lead group followed where the
Lead captian wanted to go, not where the directions said to go.

Having him call "Left at Road X" would have got my attention, because the
instructions said RIGHT.

See why we want them?

HAM is relatively uncrowded, with usually well behaved citizens on the
waves.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Could this operate on a motorcycle?

rgconner
P.S. I stirred the pot, something I am sort of known for. =)

Believe me, we put a lot of thought into this, it is not a whim.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Could this operate on a motorcycle?

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Folks - time to end the thread. We are drifting OT and also -way- exceeding the
daily single topic posting limit for the list.

73

Eric
List Moderator
elecraft.com

On 5/4/2014 8:52 PM, Russell Conner wrote:
> You don't have the requirements right.
>
> We split to under 12 if we have more than 12 bikes, sometimes less, we
> broke into 4 and 4 once, just because we had a less skilled group on what
> was to be a spirited ride.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Could this operate on a motorcycle?

W7CS
A KX3 or any of the K line is not suitable for use on a vehicle that
requires so much concentration, coordination and attention to all
aspects of its operation.  Especially a road bike where all of the
fore mentioned is of upmost importance for safety and staying
uninjured and alive.

As others have pointed out, a much more appropriate communication
device would be either a handle bar mounted, or even  a belt mounted
hand held transceiver, for either 2 meters or 440 MHz, or one with a
dual band capability.   They operate in the FM mode, thus are more
immune to man made noise and ignition noise interference.  Once set
to a desired (mutual with all operators) channel, they don't require
further rider attention, other than maybe an occasional adjustment of
the audio volume.  They can be used with helmet mounted hearing
pieces and microphones.  A conveniently located, handle bar mounted,
Push To Talk (PTT) switch coupled with a low profile(19") quarter
wave whip, mounted on the rear of the bike, will be
required.  Depending on the terrain, the bike to bike range, can be
as much as 15 miles, more than enough for the leader to be alerted to
a problem by the "tail gunner".

I'm a long time dirt bike, dual sport, quad and side x side rider and
have organized and participated in many group rides and  events. We
have often used similar equipment for event control.  In fact I have
a permanently mounted, mobile, dual band (2M/440 MHz) transceiver in
my competitive grade Polaris RZR side x side.

Chuck,  W7CS

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Could this operate on a motorcycle?

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
Folks,

We closed this thread earlier this evening.

73,

Eric
List Moderator
elecraft.com

On 5/4/2014 11:33 PM, Chuck Smallhouse wrote:
> A KX3 or any of the K line is not suitable for use on a vehicle that requires
> so much concentration, coordination and attention to all aspects of its operatio

Message delivered to [hidden email]
123