Crystal heater for better stability???

WE0H
Has anyone added a crystal heater to their K2? If I would add a heater
to my K2, what oscillator would be the best one to do it to or should I
heat both the 4mc & the 12.xx mc crystals? The radio is decent as is but
I am used to zero drift when I work the Part 5 Experimental bands with
my other radio's. I want to make my K2 very stable as it will be used on
those bands.

Many thanks,
Mike
WE0H
K2 6698

Re: Crystal heater for better stability???

Matt Palmer-4
I'm a general dummy, but I dont think that simply adding a heater will
do what you want, but then again when i think of stability my brain
usually thinks of 0.5ppb over a 20year life of a radio.

Matt
W8ESE
Former KD8DAO
http://blog.MattIsKichigai.com

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 1:26 AM, Mike-WE0H <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has anyone added a crystal heater to their K2? If I would add a heater
> to my K2, what oscillator would be the best one to do it to or should I
> heat both the 4mc & the 12.xx mc crystals? The radio is decent as is but
> I am used to zero drift when I work the Part 5 Experimental bands with
> my other radio's. I want to make my K2 very stable as it will be used on
> those bands.
>
> Many thanks,
> Mike
> WE0H
> K2 6698

Re: Crystal heater for better stability???

Mike,

I don't know what kind of stability you are trying to achieve, but the
PLL crystal would be the only one to consider.  The 4 MHz crystal is not
used dynamically for any frequency determination - it must be set
accurately and used for the short term running of CAL PLL and CAL FIL,
but after that it can drift a lot and not create any drift of the K2.
The K2 takes DAC values out of EEPROM and applies those to the PLL
Reference oscillator and the BFO during normal operation.  The frequency
will be as stable as those oscillators.

Mike-WE0H wrote:

> Has anyone added a crystal heater to their K2? If I would add a heater
> to my K2, what oscillator would be the best one to do it to or should I
> heat both the 4mc & the 12.xx mc crystals? The radio is decent as is but
> I am used to zero drift when I work the Part 5 Experimental bands with
> my other radio's. I want to make my K2 very stable as it will be used on
> those bands.
>
> Many thanks,
> Mike
> WE0H
> K2 6698

Re: Crystal heater for better stability???

WE0H
Thank you all who replied direct with many different ideas &
options...hi hi...I have found a solution.

73,
Mike
WE0H