DMM Recommendations

Chuck Gehring
I would like to see some recommendations for a Digital Multimeter.  The Fluke 187 is a little out of my range but something between my Walmart $29.95 special and the Fluke would be nice.

73 KI4DGH
Chuck G.

Re: DMM Recommendations

John-479
I just purchased a Fluke 112 and I like if very much.  This is the first DVM
that I have had that measures capacitance and frequency.  Other than that it
is just like most other DVM's.  It is also a bit smaller than my previous
Fluke 8020B.  I purchased it locally for $149.95 plus tax but I could have
got it cheaper on e-bay.

--
John   K7SVV
>I would like to see some recommendations for a Digital Multimeter.  The
>Fluke 187 is a little out of my range but something between my Walmart
>$29.95 special and the Fluke would be nice.
>
> 73 KI4DGH
> Chuck G.

Re: DMM Recommendations

ac0h
I just Got a B+K Precision model 2707A from Kiesub Electronic Supply for
$91 and change.
It isn't autoranging like the Fluke but I figure I can turn a dial.
You may be able to get it a little cheaper at Mouser but I ordered mine
at the same time I ordered my Hakko 936.
K2/100 with all the goodies arrives Wednesday.

Good Luck.

--
R. Kevin Stover, ACØH

Re: DMM Recommendations

Jim Wiley-2
Chuck -

A couple of months ago I picked up a Velleman DVM, Model DVM890.  It is
a 3 1/2 digit, manual range instrument.  It does all the usual functions
(Ohms, DC Volts, AC Volts), plus capacitance, temperature (it comes with
a probe), transistor Hfe, diode checking, AC and DC amperes (to 20
amperes), and audio frequency to 20 KHz.  The temperature probe works
from -50 to +1000 degrees C ( -60 to +1800 degrees F).  I use it to
check temperatures of soldering irons and my solder pot.

It does not do  inductance.  But, for my money,  it rates as a very good
buy.  About the same size as a Fluke 8020.   It has HUGE  (1 inch
character height) display digits - good for us old guys <grin>.

Accuracy wise, it compares nicely with my Hewlett Packard 3478A units.

I did a quick Google search, and came up with the following link,
advertising a unit for $49.00 + postage.

http://www.ba-electronics.com/dvm890.htm

You may be able to find a better price by doing a more extensive search.
or perhaps find a local dealer that will match that price. .

73

- Jim, KL7CC

___________________

[hidden email] wrote:

>I would like to see some recommendations for a Digital Multimeter.  The Fluke 187 is a little out of my range but something between my Walmart $29.95 special and the Fluke would be nice.
>
>73 KI4DGH
>Chuck G.

>Help: http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
>Elecraft web page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: DMM Recommendations

Stuart Rohre
Check your local Home Depot or Lowe's home centers and hardware stores.
They have had good buys on brand name 3 1/2 digit meters of late.
Stuart
K5KVH

RE: DMM Recommendations

Ron D'Eau Claire-2
Chuck, KI4DGH, wrote:

I would like to see some recommendations for a Digital Multimeter.  The
Fluke 187 is a little out of my range but something between my Walmart
$29.95 special and the Fluke would be nice.

----------------------------------

I have cheap meters and expensive meters. On the high end, a Bel Merit probe
type meter and a Fluke DMM. On the low end, A Radio Shack and a freebie DMM
that came with an order from Mouser a while back.

Curious, I compared all of them closely, using a variety of voltages and
resistances. They are ALL produce readings within 1% or one digit of each
other. There are three significant differences though.

1) Speed. The RS and cheapie meter take about 2 or 3 seconds to produce a
reading. The Fluke and Bel Merit are virtually instantaneous. Reading about
the design of these meters, it seems that they all tend to use the same
divider chain for the ranges, and that modern manufacturing technologies
ensure that the accuracy of these dividers are very good. That also
determines the accuracy of the readings. The highest priced items in the
meter are the chip that takes the analog input from the range divider and
drives the digital display and the digital display itself. The cheaper I.C.s
are slow. That's why the RS meter takes 2 or 3 seconds to produce a display
while the more expensive meters look almost instantaneous.

2) Resolution. To hold down costs, many cheaper meters have only 3 or 3-1/2
digit displays. That is usually adequate for just about anything you might
do. My RS, Fluke and Bel Merit all have four digit displays, typical of
better meters. Also, some meters have a little row of dots or bars that vary
with the reading. That's handy when making an adjustment when peaking a
voltage, but it's pretty useless in a slower meter where you have to wait
for a couple of seconds after making a change to see the results!

3) Durability. Robust packaging helps keep a meter working after hard
physical use. Cheaper meters tend to skimp here. Still, one can be careful.
I have an old d'Arsonval movement VOM (common wiggly-needle type of meter
from the 1960's) that I still prefer when the oscilloscope isn't handy for
peaking a circuit adjustment. It's a nice Radio Shack meter, but it is
absolutely fragile, I'm sure. Still, I've had it for 40 years and it's still
working FB. I just don't take it up a tower or other dangerous places. It
stays on the bench or packed away in its box <G>.

I do use my Fluke more than most. The Bel Merit, which fits easily in my
shirt pocket, goes up masts or towers with me and generally anywhere where I
want to travel "light" because it's small. Its disadvantage, being a "pen"
or "probe" type instrument in which the display is an integral part of the
probe, is that it's sometimes hard to see the display when holding the tip
on the circuit. Also it doesn't do current measurements.

In spite of its slower speed, the RS meter gets LOTS of use because it
analyzes transistors showing the correct pinout along with an hFE reading
directly and measures capacitor values from a few pF to many microfarads -
as well as doing the common voltage/current/resistance checks. Neither my
Fluke or Bel Merit offer all of those features.

Frankly, if I had to take only one meter, I'd take the Radio Shack for its
versatility. The model I have isn't made any longer, but I think the
replacement is RS 22-812 (http://tinyurl.com/58fmn). The web page doesn't
mention capacitance measurements in the features list, but the instruction
manual says it does. This one has added a PC interface and a protective
boot. It's about $70.

If you're on a real tight budget, a cheaper meter will suffice.

The only ones to really avoid at all costs are the older d'Arsonval meters
built for use before solid state, like the venerable Simpson 260's and the
like that many OT's use. They are FB meters, but load the circuit they test
much more than modern DMM's and, more importantly, they drive the Ohms
measurements with far more voltage and current than is safe for most solid
state electronics. You can destroy a lot of modern circuitry by simply
making a resistance check with one of those. Any of the modern DMM's are
quite safe in that respect. Even the cheap ones.

Ron AC7AC

Re: DMM Recommendations

John  Gabbard
I just bought a VC97 autoranging DMM with a counter to 30 mhz. for 29.95
from" kaitometers" and they have abunch more you can drool over...John
KF7OM

Re: DMM Recommendations

K6TFZ
In a message dated 1/10/2005 7:02:56 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[hidden email] writes:

I just  bought a VC97 autoranging DMM with a counter to 30 mhz. for 29.95
from"  kaitometers" and they have abunch more you can drool over...John
KF7OM
Tried Googling "kaitometers" but shows nothing. Would like to look to
see what they have. Do you have the link? tks  geoff    k6tfz

RE: DMM Recommendations

Rick Commo
Geoff,

I googled on "kaito meters" and found some references.  The one I like in
general is: http://www.multimeterwarehouse.com/.  The VC97 page is:
http://www.multimeterwarehouse.com/vc97.htm.

I plan on picking up one myself.

-rick, K7LOG

Re: DMM Recommendations

David-470
I have a fluke 112 and I love it and hate it the auto ranging is great but
the auto shut off is a pain in the *** well you get the point but I would
recommend the fluke 112 to anyone with that warning.