Does the KPA500 put out 500 watts in all modes?

Does the KPA500 put out 500 watts in all modes?

vtnn43e

Does the KPA500 put out 500 watts in ALL modes? In looking at the spec sheet it really does not say.

Thanks

Zack

N8FNR

Re: Does the KPA500 put out 500 watts in all modes?

KK7P
Yes.

500W peak power. In SSB, this would be PEP.  In CW, it is key down. In
RTTY, it is 500W.  In AM it is 125W carrier assuming modulation is
limited to 100% positive, etc.

This is not to say you can send a 30 minute continuous brag tape in
RTTY, of course.  Thermal considerations (including your shack's
particular ambeint air temperature) will dictate the duty cycle limits.

73,

Lyle KK7P

> Does the KPA500 put out 500 watts in ALL modes? In looking at the spec sheet it really does not say.

Re: Does the KPA500 put out 500 watts in all modes?

Guy, K2AV
Does the KPA500 tolerate a 67% on, 33% off, RTTY duty cycle
indefinitely?   That would be the worst actual contesting cycle I know
of.

73, Guy.

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 4:38 PM, Lyle Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes.
>
> 500W peak power. In SSB, this would be PEP.  In CW, it is key down. In
> RTTY, it is 500W.  In AM it is 125W carrier assuming modulation is
> limited to 100% positive, etc.
>
> This is not to say you can send a 30 minute continuous brag tape in
> RTTY, of course.  Thermal considerations (including your shack's
> particular ambeint air temperature) will dictate the duty cycle limits.
>
> 73,
>
> Lyle KK7P
>
>> Does the KPA500 put out 500 watts in ALL modes? In looking at the spec sheet it really does not say.

Re: Does the KPA500 put out 500 watts in all modes?

N5GE

What about FM, Lyle?

73,
Tom
Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 13:38:55 -0700, Lyle Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Yes.
>
>500W peak power. In SSB, this would be PEP.  In CW, it is key down. In
>RTTY, it is 500W.  In AM it is 125W carrier assuming modulation is
>limited to 100% positive, etc.
>
>This is not to say you can send a 30 minute continuous brag tape in
>RTTY, of course.  Thermal considerations (including your shack's
>particular ambeint air temperature) will dictate the duty cycle limits.
>
>73,
>
>Lyle KK7P
>
>> Does the KPA500 put out 500 watts in ALL modes? In looking at the spec sheet it really does not say.

>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: Does the KPA500 put out 500 watts in all modes?

n7ws
I believe that you confuse RTTY with PSK-31.

Pretty much why I hardly work PSK.  If I want to know your dog's name, I'll ask. [snoooore]

--- On Sun, 6/19/11, Lyle Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

This is not to say you can send a 30 minute continuous brag tape in RTTY, of course.

Re: Does the KPA500 put out 500 watts in all modes?

KK7P
500 W.

Lyle KK7P

> What about FM, Lyle?

Re: Does the KPA500 put out 500 watts in all modes?

KK7P
See below.
> Does the KPA500 tolerate a 67% on, 33% off, RTTY duty cycle
> indefinitely?...
>
>> ... Thermal considerations (including your shack's
>> particular ambient air temperature) will dictate the duty cycle limits.

Lyle KK7P

Mel

Re: Does the KPA500 put out 500 watts in all modes?

Mel
But not 67 hours on and 33 hours off.  Need to be specific on "on time in
seconds or minutes".  IMHO

Mel  K6KBE

________________________________
> Does the KPA500 tolerate a 67% on, 33% off, RTTY duty cycle
> indefinitely?...
>
>> ... Thermal considerations (including your shack's
>> particular ambient air temperature) will dictate the duty cycle limits.

Lyle KK7P

Re: Does the KPA500 put out 500 watts in all modes?

KK7P
In the KPA500 manual the duty cycle is indicated as 10 minutes on, 5
minutes off at 500 watts output.  This could be RTTY, FM, Olivia 500/8, ...

This is limited by the ability of the amplifier to get rid of the heat
created by the transistors.  That's why I indicated it is a thermal
issue.  If you have cold enough air, in sufficient quantity, and flowing
toward the KPA500 intake area, you can probably run for hours key down
with 500W out...

73,

Lyle KK7P

Re: Does the KPA500 put out 500 watts in all modes?

Bruce Beford-2

Who'll be the first to liquid cool their KPA-500? 8-) -Bruce, N1RX

Lyle KK7P wrote:
> If you have cold enough air, in sufficient quantity, and flowing
> toward the KPA500 intake area, you can probably run for hours key down
> with 500W out...

Re: Does the KPA500 put out 500 watts in all modes?

Guy, K2AV
10:5 on:off is the worst contesting cycle I can think of.  Thanks.  Guy