Don

Hunsdon Cary III
Allow me to weigh in on the "personal information" issue.  W3FPR did not
post ANY private information, only the name and call sign of another ham -
if it's readily available on the internet, as it is on QRZ.com, it is not
PRIVATE - anyone with a computer can get it for goodness sakes!
I can only speak for myself but I subscribe to the reflector so I can read
W3FPR's postings!  He has helped me on several occasions and I ALWAYS learn
something from his e-mail answers.  This reflector will be a much less
interesting place without him and I hope he will reconsider only taking
questions at his home e-mail addresses.  Perhaps, Wayne and Eric can
convince him to stay - I sure hope so.
Don,  Nolite te bastardes carborundorum!
73,
H. Cary, K4TM
Lynchburg VA
K2-100 #4991
K3-100 #3448 [ex-K3-100 #0178]

Re: Don

Bill K9YEQ
I wouldn't think Don takes much personal.  He is very technical and avoids
personal interaction from what I have experienced.  He is just super when it
comes to knowledge.  I read everything he posts, unlike many others.  I put
him on plane with the Elecraft staff.  Who would know the difference?  He is
a gold mine of knowledge and have been involved with him for 10 years or so?
He is not one who divulges personal information and anyone on the internet
knows that what they send is open to the public, if not, what rock have they
been living under.

Bill
K9YEQ
K2 and KX1 field tester, K3 and modules. P3 on the way!!

Re: Don

The Smiths

Yes, the call and name information is public indeed.. ONLY when the person posting cares to share it.  That is ALL that I said.  If said person chooses NOT to give that information out on a public reflector, it is not up to Don, or anyone else to share it with the group.  That is in poor taste.

Don is very helpful.  I know this personally, as I have had him answer some of my own questions as well.  Yes, he answers pretty much EVERY email, and yes he has an opinion on about EVERY topic, but I can sift through those emails for when I'm after the important stuff.  I see no need for him to take his technical skills off of this reflector for any reason, none that I've given anyhow.  There's no reason for Wayne, Eric, nor Lyle to be bothered with this matter what so ever.

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 18:23:38 -0400
> CC: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Elecraft] Don
>
> Allow me to weigh in on the "personal information" issue. W3FPR did not
> post ANY private information, only the name and call sign of another ham -
> if it's readily available on the internet, as it is on QRZ.com, it is not
> PRIVATE - anyone with a computer can get it for goodness sakes!
> I can only speak for myself but I subscribe to the reflector so I can read
> W3FPR's postings! He has helped me on several occasions and I ALWAYS learn
> something from his e-mail answers. This reflector will be a much less
> interesting place without him and I hope he will reconsider only taking
> questions at his home e-mail addresses. Perhaps, Wayne and Eric can
> convince him to stay - I sure hope so.
> Don, Nolite te bastardes carborundorum!
> 73,
> H. Cary, K4TM
> Lynchburg VA
> K2-100 #4991
> K3-100 #3448 [ex-K3-100 #0178]

Re: Don

Bill K9YEQ
Many of us HAMs are accused of it.  Good things grow under rocks.  It would be the dark side!

The issue is assuming what is sent on the internet is private?  No way.  Many have no idea as to what is disclosed from their own PC.  Check the cookies... my God!  We give a way so much personal information.  But then without doing so, you struggle and waste time.

Mistakes can happen. Whatever one writes, consider the consequences and don't forget: it can be found on the internet.  If you don't want it known, send it out USPS.  If someone else should not follow one's perceived protocol: s.... happens.  No one is perfect.  I am not, Don is a lot closer.

I have mistakenly sent out things I didn't want to or sent them to the wrong recipient with no malice intended.  I recently did so.  The wrong recipient told me he knew they weren't for him so just deleted them. Then he told me the last one I wrote was quite good.  Oh, well.  S.... happens.  I can't get it back. I screwed up (again!) and could not retract the simple but very bad mistake.  I didn't dwell.  Moved on to this issue.  Let's all lighten up and be forgiving because none of us is perfect. There are religious about this but I won't go there.

Bill
K9YEQ

I don't know about living under a rock but I am one :)
   Kevin.  KD5ONS