Dual Receive on a K3?

W6FG
Hey All,

I'm just getting to know my K3 (w/o sub rx) again after being inactive for a couple of years.  Can anyone tell me if there is a way to have dual receive with my K3?

That is, I would like the ability to hear both the tx and the rx frequencies at the same time.  I know that I can op split and just use the rev control, but I'd like to hear both frequencies at the same time on CW.  It could even be just using RIT/XIT rather than SPLIT, as long as I could be 2 or more KHz off the rx frequency and hear both equally.

Would my only option be to add the sub-receiver or upgrade to the KX3?

Tnx for any replies and,

73
W6FG

Re: Dual Receive on a K3?

Don Wilhelm-4
Not possible without the sub-RX.

The KX3 does have 'dual watch' which will allow a small difference in
frequency.  The KRX3 can even be on different bands if you set VFO IND on.

On 3/7/2016 4:19 PM, W6FG wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> I'm just getting to know my K3 (w/o sub rx) again after being inactive for a
> couple of years.  Can anyone tell me if there is a way to have dual receive
> with my K3?
>
> That is, I would like the ability to hear both the tx and the rx frequencies
> at the same time.  I know that I can op split and just use the rev control,
> but I'd like to hear both frequencies at the same time on CW.  It could even
> be just using RIT/XIT rather than SPLIT, as long as I could be 2 or more KHz
> off the rx frequency and hear both equally.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Dual Receive on a K3?

Bill Frantz
On 3/7/16 at 1:19 PM, [hidden email] (W6FG) wrote:

>Would my only option be to add the sub-receiver or upgrade to the KX3?

As far as I know, the sub receiver is the only option. The KX3
has dual watch, which does many of the same things, but has
certain limitations. For example, the KX3 can not use narrow
band filters with dual watch because it needs to have a wide
enough bandwidth to tune both frequencies at the same time.

During the ARRL DX SSB contest, there were several stations that
were listening in the US CW sub-band while transmitting in the
SSB sub-band. KX3 dual watch is limited to 15KHz, which is not
wide enough for this kind of operation. There were also DX
stations doing the reverse.

73 Bill AE6JV, who finally gritted his teeth, got the
sub-receiver, and is very happy he did.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Dual Receive on a K3?

Gary Smith-2
> 73 Bill AE6JV, who finally gritted his teeth, got the
> sub-receiver, and is very happy he did.

As am I with my sub Rx. Expensive? not compared to buying a 2nd radio
and using my old Johnson tube based TR switch. I don't often use the
Sub Rx & when I do, its usually for Diversity. Really slick
integration.

73,

Gary
KA1J

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Dual Receive on a K3?

Greg VK3VT
Ross (W6FG)

You could get an LP Pan panadapter (http://www.telepostinc.com/LP-PAN.html)  and this will allow you receive on a second frequency on your computer using the VFO B knob to tune (distance from VFO A determined by the sound card you use - panadapter bandwidth can be up to 192KHz).  You can also listen to the VFO A frequency applying different filtering and noise reduction techniques to those set up on your K3.

73
Greg VK3VT

Re: Dual Receive on a K3?

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

On 3/8/2016 3:04 AM, Greg VK3VT wrote:

 > You could get an LP Pan panadapter
 > (http://www.telepostinc.com/LP-PAN.html)
> and this will allow you receive on a second frequency on your
> computer using the VFO B knob to tune (distance from VFO A
> determined by the sound card you use - panadapter bandwidth can be up
> to 192KHz).

This can be accomplished by any quality SDR with the appropriate
software (there are multiple approaches). There are several newer
SDR hardware devices that are less expensive than the LP-Pan and
sound card combination that are not tied to somewhat unstable
drivers.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Dual Receive on a K3?

Milt -- N5IA
This is an open invitation to Joe, W4TV, to contact me.  I have been unable
to get a response from you Joe, for the past 4 months, by sending direct
E-mails.

Please contact me.  Thank you.

Milt, N5IA

> and this will allow you receive on a second frequency on your
> computer using the VFO B knob to tune (distance from VFO A
> determined by the sound card you use - panadapter bandwidth can be up
> to 192KHz).

This can be accomplished by any quality SDR with the appropriate
software (there are multiple approaches). There are several newer
SDR hardware devices that are less expensive than the LP-Pan and
sound card combination that are not tied to somewhat unstable
drivers.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Dual Receive on a K3?

Doug Ellmore Sr.
I have my 2nd receiver tapped and use a Funcube Pro dongle with NAP3
version 5.  The main VFO I use Win4K3 with LP-PAN2 and a Steinburg UR22 USB
192Khz sound card.

The funcube pro is a less expensive option for taking your IF out and
getting your Panadapter working for either your main receiver or a second
receiver, or both.

Due to some limitations of the radio control software in the K3, you can
not get the subreceiver frequency displayed correctly.  What you can do is
watch a second band or up/down the same band, then use A/B to send VFOB to
VFOA for further inspection.  I find it useful for FD to use the K3 on 6m
and 2m in this manner.  I also in a contest can be running on one band and
then S&P with the VFOB.

73

Doug NA1DX

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 01:04:06 -0700 (MST)
From: Greg VK3VT <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]

--
Doug Ellmore
[hidden email]

Computer Scientists do precision guess work based on unreliable data
provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Message delivered to [hidden email]