ECN30 - Tonight

Daniel Reynolds-2
I'll be looking for your check in tonight at 0000z and 0200z (we might still be
running at 0100z if there's enough activity to keep us busy). Our goal is to
see how well 30m works - and if possible, to exchange some S/N's for the
Elecraft Awards.

I've tried to run some antenna and propagation analysis, and things will start
shutting down for me toward the east around 0200z... you can look at some
VOACAP images I produced here...

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/aa0ni/album?.dir=/df55&.src=ph&.tok=phkwLlCB7uxCNSF
[purple = s1, blue = s3, green = s5, yellow = s7]

I will probably need someone in the Rockies to act as a relay westward, as well
as someone in the Ohio Valley eastward (10W isn't exactly QRO).

My K2 only goes down to 9 wpm... so I'll try to QRS at 9-10 wpm tonight ... and
next week we'll go a little faster.

Don't forget your Q-signals... (yes - these are a little twisted from their NTS
roots)
QNI             : I want to check in
QNS <callsigns> : The following stations are checked-in <callsigns>
QRU             : I don't want to contact anyone
QTC <callsign>  : I want to contact <callsign> / Do you want to contact anyone?
QNX             : I want to check out
QNO <callsign>  : <callsign> has checked out
QNF             : The net is free

First, we'll try to quickly gather all of the QNI. When you check in - I'll
need your name and state/province/country. If you want to exchange RST with me,
that would be fine - it helps me know how well I'm getting out, and I will
return the favor.

Then I will announce who is on the list (QNS).

For those interested - we will try to make one round through the list to let
you contact one other station checked into ECN to exchange S/N, rig, etc.

When it is your turn - you can do one of the following:
-----

|If you want to contact someone, signify QTC <callsign> - and then start
calling
|them. If the contact isn't succesful after 3 repeats on either side, we'll
move
| to the next call on the list.
|
|If you want to just let anyone call you - send QTC ANY, and you can work your
|way through whoever decides to chime in.
|
|If you don't want to call anyone, you can send QRU.
|
|If you want to leave the net, you can send QNX.

-----

If all of that goes smoothly one time through the list, and my brain is not
completely frazzled ... we'll try it again. 8-D

-----

Looking forward to a great time this evening!

- Daniel / AA0NI
Oklahoma City

Re: ECN30 - Tonight

Daniel Reynolds-2
Oh yeah - and we'll be on 10115 +/- 2 kHz at 0000z and 0200z.

73,
Daniel / AA0NI
Oklahoma City

Re: ECN30 - Tonight

Daniel Reynolds-2
Hi Leigh,

Wow - your sample script is quite efficient. I like it, and will try to use
it... but for starting out, I was just hoping to take check ins by their full
callsign, and then if anyone NEEDED to interject something (i.e. they were
relaying someone in, or they needed to check out and it wasn't their turn) that
they could send their suffix (e.g. NI) in between transmissions.

I am realizing more that I am not very literate when it comes to true formal
net protocol. Many who want to check in are just looking for an opportunity to
get their names on the list and make sure their radio is still working, or
their new antenna is doing a good job, and possibly contact other Elecrafters
(i.e. have fun)... so if I'm going overboard on trying to over formalize the
net, let me know (I'm trying to find a happy balance between order and fun).

I started to work on a sample script in a response - but after seeing how
efficient the one you submitted - I can't produce what I was thinking without
incorporating the much more efficient model (which would really help at 9-10
wpm). If you feel comfortable with that format and would like to use it, let me
know, and I'll see if I can request folks use it next week. In the mean time,
I'll take check ins anyway they come (full callsign, or suffix).

So - to summarize - if you want to check in - I'll need your callsign. If all I
hear is a 'Z', then I'll send a 'Z' back, and you can give your full call,
name, and SPC.

Thanks for the question, and I hope I've clarified it to your liking.

- Daniel / AA0NI
Oklahoma City

p.s. The section in your script about "QTC?" was pretty much how I envisioned
it.