EPA QRP Club Polar Bear Moonlight Madness Event -- 2/22 -- Take a look at the Pulpit Rock Observatory on top!

EPA QRP Club Polar Bear Moonlight Madness Event -- 2/22 -- Take a look at the Pulpit Rock Observatory on top!

Edward R. Breneiser-2
Take a look at the Pulpit Rock Observatory up on the top of the mountain
here in PA. Of course, it won't look like this in February with snow on
the ground! If anyone is interested on what the observatory grounds look
like, click on the link below. Us Polar Bears hope to work many from
this qth. If you work a Polar Bear, please call us out on a few
reflectors.

If you want a Polar Bear Moonlight Madness Award, please send a copy of
your log to  WA3WSJ. Do not send an SASE just your log. My address is
good in the call book. To view award go to www. wa3wsj . com and click
on the link at the bottom left of page.

http://www.lvaas.org/pr/main.html

72,
Ed, WA3WSJ

Re: EPA QRP Club Polar Bear Moonlight Madness Event -- 2/22

WB3AAL
Hello,

 I am planning to be at the EPA QRP Club's Polar Bear Moonlight Madness
Event on 22 Feb 2005. I will be hiking up to the Pulpit Rock area in PA and
to be on the air around 21:00 UTC. I will be near the QRP freq. on 40, 30,
20 and 15 meters. I will be on 20 meters at first trying to work into Europe
and then on 15 meters near night fall. I plan on being up there early before
everyone else, so I will be in a tent out of the wind.

Hope to work many QSO's during this trip.

72 and Thanks,
Ron Polityka
WB3AAL
www.wb3aal.com
www.n3epa.org/

K2/100 magnetic screening?

Fraser Robertson
Has anyone successfully improved the K2's immunity to magnetic fields, e.g.
from nearby mains transformers?

I'm thinking of making a mu-metal cover to enclose the K2 (apart from front
and rear), leaving room for air circulation top and bottom.  I think this
should do the trick, but wondered if less drastic action would surfice, e.g.
lining the bottom panel with steel or mu-metal.

In my case the nearest mains transformers are two feet away or more, off to
the sides and rear, and it's not really practical to increase the separation
further.  I've had reports of less than T9 and tests indicate it's due to
these transformers, one in the linear amp. and one in the linear PSU that
powers the K2/100.  No problem on receive, but the magnetic field is
obviously stronger during TX.

Thanks / 73 Fraser G4BJM #4368.