Ear-buds?

Cfzepp
Has anyone done any experimenting with various ear-buds?  Which model brand
is the most sensitive and produces the most volume?

  73, Don

WA9TGT / Donnie Garrett / Muncie, IN
ARCI #6447, ARS #1717, AmQRP, ECI-QRP #001
K2 #4003, K2 #3186, K1 #1806, K1 #0416, SW-30+, DSW II - 40
LDG Z-11 Auto Tuner, 102' CF Zepp fed with 300 Ohm Line

Visit the "ECI-QRP" web site at: http://qrp.ke9v.net/

Re: Ear-buds?

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
Administrator
I found the $15 Sony ones ith 108 dB rating that Elecraft recommends
best so far.  I bought some Panasonic or Philips ones that claimed a 110
rating but were significantly worse.

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 6:10am, [hidden email] wrote:
> Has anyone done any experimenting with various ear-buds?
73,
WA5ZNU Leigh

Re: Ear-buds?

Jimmy Lee-4
"The Plug" by Koss gives me all the sound I can stand.  Great for portable work since they are very
small.
Jimmy, AE4DT

[hidden email] wrote:

> Has anyone done any experimenting with various ear-buds?  Which model brand
> is the most sensitive and produces the most volume?
>

>   73, Don
>
> WA9TGT / Donnie Garrett / Muncie, IN
> ARCI #6447, ARS #1717, AmQRP, ECI-QRP #001
> K2 #4003, K2 #3186, K1 #1806, K1 #0416, SW-30+, DSW II - 40
> LDG Z-11 Auto Tuner, 102' CF Zepp fed with 300 Ohm Line
>
> Visit the "ECI-QRP" web site at: http://qrp.ke9v.net/

K2 Remote/Server

Mike S-8
What's the status of K2 Remote and K2 Server? Despite multiple promises otherwise, development seems to have stopped in 2001 with no Server available.

Might I suggest that if Elecraft doesn't want to complete these to the promised level, they might make a contribution to the G4ILO K2net project ( http://www.tech-pro.net/g4ilo/k2net.html ) and/or KE6D K2Anywhere ( http://www.qsl.net/ke6d/k2anywhere.htm ), which seems to do "all that and more?"

(K2net has had more recent updates, includes bidirectional audio streaming, and seems easier to use)

Mike
W8UR

Re: Ear-buds?

hank  k8dd-2
I have a set from Kenwood and they are very comfortable and worked well
when we were on St Kitts.

73    Hank    K8DD

>[hidden email] wrote:
>
> > Has anyone done any experimenting with various ear-buds?  Which model brand
> > is the most sensitive and produces the most volume?
> >

> >   73, Don
> >
> > WA9TGT / Donnie Garrett / Muncie, IN
> > ARCI #6447, ARS #1717, AmQRP, ECI-QRP #001
> > K2 #4003, K2 #3186, K1 #1806, K1 #0416, SW-30+, DSW II - 40
> > LDG Z-11 Auto Tuner, 102' CF Zepp fed with 300 Ohm Line
> >
> > Visit the "ECI-QRP" web site at: http://qrp.ke9v.net/

Re: Ear-buds?

Stuart Rohre
Don, there is a sensitivity rating on the better quality earbuds packages.
Some of the Sony models are quite efficient among others.  The cheap
unlisted specs models vary all over the place. Plus, the insulation gets
stiff on the Dollar store brands.
72,
Stuart
K5KVH

Re: K2 Remote/Server

N8LP
I'm not sure what K2Remote and K2Server are supposed to do, but if it's that they allow network control of the rig, then you can already do that.

I have been controlling my TS850S for years over several network connections using a device called a Serial Device Server. It can be implemented in either hardware or software, so you don't even necessarily need a computer at the remote site.

I don't have a K2 yet, but I suspect it would work the same since K2 uses the basic Kenwood protocol. I control a lot of devices remotely using this architecture including rotator, relays, A/D inputs, SteppIR controller, etc. It will work with most serially controlled devices.

ARRL has accepted an article I wrote about implementing this capability for future publication. There is more info on my website at www.telepostinc.com/n8lp.html under the link "Remote Control of Networked Station Equipment". The basic idea is that the server converts serial ports to TCP ports at the remote site, and the client at the home site converts the TCP ports into virtual com ports that any software can access as though they were real.

You can also control the rig remotely using the remote telnet server in TRX-Manager. TRX offers  Master (home) and Slave (remote) options for the two locations that can be tied together through a built in telnet terminal.

73,
Larry N8LP

Re: Ear-buds?

Gil Stacy
Don, I have both Sony earbuds and The Plug by Koss.  The SonyÂ’s may have
slightly higher mfg. reported sensitivity, but the The Plug has a sound
channel that goes deeper into the ear.  The Plug has silicone buds that seal
out ambient noise.  The SonyÂ’s donÂ’t seal.
There used to be a website that offered plug mods on The Plug, butmy link is
dead.  Koss has improved the silicone plugs from earlier editions and each
set now comes with several different styles of plugs.  I find myself using
the Koss more than the Sony.  I have read that some ear shapes donÂ’t easily
accommodate the silicone plugs, however.
Gil/NN4CW  K2 3104; KX1 53.

Re: K2 Remote/Server

g4ilo-2
If you know of a software Serial Device Server that costs less than $249
  (www.taltech.com) perhaps you would provide a link?

I don't know if such a product would be safe to use via the Internet, as
distinct from a local network. You would also need to provide separately
for the audio feed.

My software (K2Net) tries to provide an integrated solution to this, but
unfortunately it needs more time spent on development than I am
currently able to spare, especially as it isn't something I have a great
personal need for.
--
Julian, G4ILO (RSGB, ARRL)
G4ILO's Shack: http://www.tech-pro.net/g4ilo

"Larry Phipps" <[hidden email]>

Re: K2 Remote/Server

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Hi Mike,

I thought we had removed the comments about K2 server from the web page
a long time ago, but I suspect there is still something in the
installation notes that come with K2Remote. I'll take that out too.

With the excellent client server implementations by K2Net and others we
decided to leave K2Remote as is and concentrate on new products some
time back. It was originally writen as a free demo of what might be done
to control the K2 via RS-232 and to serve as a stimulus for others to
write their opwn applications. As can be seen from the list at
http://www.elecraft.com/k2_remote.htm , we was successful :-)

73, Eric   WA6HHQ
---------------

Mike S wrote:

>What's the status of K2 Remote and K2 Server? .
>
>Mike
>W8UR

Re: Re: K2 Remote/Server

Mike S-8
At 03:02 PM 9/17/2004, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote...

>I thought we had removed the comments about K2 server from the web page a long time ago, but I suspect there is still something in the installation notes that come with K2Remote. I'll take that out too.

The readme file which K2Remote installs states:

"Control over a TCP/IP network (local or internet): The K2 Remote Connect menu also contains a 'TCP/IP K2 Server' option...(Note: K2 Server has not been uploaded to the web site yet. It will be uploaded by 10/31[/2001!]. ecs)"

A search of the archives ( http://www.ac6rm.net/mailarchive/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=remote+and+server+and+wa6hhq&submit=Search%21&idxname=elecraft-list&max=10&result=normal&sort=score ) shows:

"I'll follow it next week with K2 Server, which acts as the host side of the link for K2 Remote when controlling the K2 over a network." - ECS, 2Nov2001

"I'll release the version of K2 Remote with the type ahead CW feature first,
followed by K2 server." - ECS, 10Dec2001

"Now that the main crush of finishing the K2/100 has passed, I'll be releasing K2 server with the new version of K2 remote. K2 remote will include K2/100 support and several other enhancements (CW message memories and type ahead.)
I expect to have it ready in about 3 weeks, other tasks permitting" - ECS, 23May2002

Nothing relevant since, and the posted K2Remote is from 10/30/2001.

>With the excellent client server implementations by K2Net and others we decided to leave K2Remote as is and concentrate on new products some time back.

That was apparently never made public.

> It was originally writen as a free demo of what might be done to control the K2 via RS-232 and to serve as a stimulus for others to write their opwn applications. As can be seen from the list at http://www.elecraft.com/k2_remote.htm , we was successful :-)

Does/will Elecraft stand behind/support those applications? K2/KIO2 owner's shouldn't have to pay for a supported, actively maintained remote control solution, as a free one was promised. The web site still states:

"K2 Remote is a new remote control program designed for the K2 that runs under Windows (95,98, 2000 & ME). It requires the KIO2 RS-232 control option for the K2 to operate. It is included via this page as part of our KIO2 option. New versions will be available here for download at no additional charge as we add features to K2 Remote. K2 Remote is a work in progress - we welcome your suggestions! "

There is nothing anywhere to suggest that K2Remote is or was intended to be just a "demo," and much promise for a more fully featured, supported and working solution. Everyone who's bought a KIO2 has paid for that.

I like K2Net, but the author implies that it's unstable and isn't being actively supported. It seems he might support it, if it were worth his time. That's where Elecraft comes in - you've promised something which is undelivered. K2Net seems to be able to fulfill the features promised, and more. It just needs to be further developed to where it's a trustworthy solution. IMO, the easiest way for Elecraft to fulfill it's promise would be to pay G4ILO to do that further development and officially support K2Net as the next generation, freely available, K2Remote/K2Server solution.

It's certainly your decision how to proceed, but to simply leave K2Remote in a "demo, no further development" state isn't ethical.

Re: Re: K2 Remote/Server

N8LP
Mike, I have been emailing back and forth today with Julian, G4ILO, about this remote stuff. I am new to the list and not familiar with any of the software history here, but I am very familiar with remote control of rigs over a network.

I will summarize some of that here on the reflector since the partial posts with Julian were probably confusing.

I have been remotely controlling a TS850S (similar protocol to K2) over ISDN, wireless and DSL for a couple years now. I use TRX-Manager as the controlling software, although any compatible control program should work. An earlier post to the list gives links to the studf I will mention in this post. There are two ways to do this.

Use a computer at the "remote" site running a program called a Serial Device Server. The cheaprest one I have tried is IPCOMServer at $9.95.  It channels the data from the computer's com ports to tcp ports which can be accessed remotely through a telnet client or a com port redirector (more on this later).

I don't use a software serial server... I use a hardware Serial Device Server from Lantronix. They sell a number of them that would work. I currently use a ETS8P which provides 8 com ports. The advantage of the hardware approach is that it is more reliable, cheaper, smaller, easier to backup in case of power failures, etc. All that is required is the server hardware box and modem (ISDN, cable, DSL, dialup). I regularly see ETS8Ps on eBay for about $50.

At the home site, you need a software client package that will redirect the tcp port data to a virtual com port that allows access to applications. Lantronix makes a free one. There is another freebie out there, but I can't remember the name. Tactical Software sells some commercial ones as well, but they have recently raised the price a lot.

There is a lot more info on my website, www.telepostinc.com/n8lp.html under the link "Remote Control of Networked Station Equipment". QST will be publishing my article on this as well in the near future.

73,
Larry N8LP

---

Re: Re: K2 Remote/Server

Mike S-8
At 06:13 PM 9/17/2004, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote...
> K2 Remote was never sold as part of the KIO2 serial interface.

You selectively quoted my message, conveniently ignoring the specific quote where Elecraft made the unequivocal statement "It is included via this page as part of our KIO2 option." Unless you've given KIO2's away, K2Remote/K2Server was sold as part of the KIO2. QED.

I'm done on this matter. Elecraft is obviously not interested in keeping its promises or behaving in an honest or ethical manner. What goes around, comes around. Bad karma for you.

Re: Re: K2 Remote/Server

Bob Nielsen
Might vpn be a possibility?  Alternately running Linux, using ssh to
access a remote X (or ncurses) application might work.  Linux has a nice
way of accessing various radios (including the K2) via the hamlib
library.

Bob, N7XY

Re: Re: K2 Remote/Server

Bob Nielsen
I meant vnc, not vpn!

--
Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          n7xy (at) n7xy.net
Bainbridge Island, WA                      http://www.n7xy.net

Re: Re: K2 Remote/Server

N8LP
Yes Bob, VNC will work, but it's not real fast unless you have a decent connection.

I used a linux redirector daemon called sredird a couple years ago on RedHat 6. It wasn't as reliable as I wanted, but it did work and supported the full telnet com port control protocol.

In the end, I decided I liked a hardware solution to avoid having to deal with crashes, reboots etc. at the remote site... plus my modem and Serial Server run on batteries so that power failures are rarely a problem... plus I like having all the software at home so I can change programs (like between MixW and TRX-Manager).

The serial server basically remotes the com ports, not the software.

Larry N8LP

--
Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          n7xy (at) n7xy.net
Bainbridge Island, WA                      http://www.n7xy.net

---

RE: Re: K2 Remote/Server

James C. Hall, MD-2
Larry:

This very interesting stuff ! I can't wait to see your article in QST ! Do
you know if it is possible to work with two monitors at the remote site ? I
often have several things going at the same time and a dual monitor setup
works ideally.

73, Jamie
WB4YDL

Re: Re: K2 Remote/Server

N8LP
I don't run two monitors, but I know some guys do. It probably requires a newish version of windows, and two video cards.

When you say at the remote site, I assume you mean at the home site. There is no computer required at the remote site... or at most a server that doesn't even require a monitor if you prefer the software serial server route.

Larry

Re: Re: K2 Remote/Server

g4ilo-2
VNC is certainly an option, and I've used it to run MixW remotely, but
as Larry suggests it's quite sluggish, even with a decent connection. I
use it to administer my web server and it sometimes goes very slow even
though I've got ADSL at this end and the server is connected to a fat
pipe at a data center.

And you still need something to carry the audio. There's a program on my
site called AudioLink that will do this, but it's basically the
prototype for the audio streaming for K2Net and hasn't been updated to
the current level of K2Net, which is more resilient now and has lower
latency than earlier versions.

I'd recommend anyone wanting audio linking software to work with VNC to
download the demo package for the audio streaming components at
www.lakeofsoft.com and use one of the demo applications.
--
Julian, G4ILO (RSGB, ARRL)
G4ILO's Shack: http://www.tech-pro.net/g4ilo

Bob Nielsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

I meant vnc, not vpn!

Re: Re: K2 Remote/Server

g4ilo-2
Mike,

The issue with this really is that K2Net turned out a bit more
complicated than I thought, and as I don't have a great personal need
for it (since I work from home and my K2 is sitting right beside me on
my desk) I don't have a lot of incentive to spend too much of my limited
free time polishing the thing off.

Regarding the stability issues, to an extent I am covering my butt,
since I know that there is at least one K2 owner in the process of
setting up a remote shack, and I don't want anyone to invest a lot of
money on something that K2Net will be a critical component of, without
them deciding for themselves whether it is adequate for the task.

I certainly would be happy for K2Net to be adopted as the official K2
remote control software. I think that it would be a unique promotional
tool to set up a K2 at Elecraft HQ and allow people to download the K2
Client and try out a K2 for themselves in guest mode. I seem to remember
suggesting this in an email to Eric some time ago, when I finished the
previous version, but I never received a reply. However, I'm still open
to offers.

My guess is that the number of K2 users wanting to use their radios
remotely is probably so small that Elecraft doesn't consider it worth
investing a lot of money on. I'm not going to enter into the argument
over the ethics of promising something and not delivering. There are
other methods of controlling the radio remotely, which have benefits if
you want features that K2 Net doesn't have (like the advanced data mode
support in MixW), they just need a bit more work to put together.