Education please

k0wa@swbell.net

What the heck is a orthogonal antenna?  Would someone define it or give an
example?  I have Googled it but it is all mumbo-jumbo to me.

Lee Buller
K0WA
Still learning after all these years!

 In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't
have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find any
Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is Common
Sense divine?

Common Sense is the image of the Creator expressing revealed truth in my mind.
-  J. Wolf

Re: Education please

Don Wilhelm-4
  Lee,

"orthogonal" = vectors that are perpendicular to each other.

So an example of orthogonal antennas would be one horizontal and the
other vertical.

On 11/12/2010 9:32 AM, Lee Buller wrote:

> What the heck is a orthogonal antenna?  Would someone define it or give an
> example?  I have Googled it but it is all mumbo-jumbo to me.
>
> Lee Buller
> K0WA
> Still learning after all these years!

Re: Education please

Ken Alexander-2
This is subject to much correction from people who are smarter than me, but my oversimplified description is that an orthogonal antenna basically consists of three loop antennas oriented in three planes that are at right angles to each other (X, Y and Z axes if you remember your basic geometry).  The antenna are bidirectional in each of those planes.

With some associated electronic wizardry, you can compare the signals received by each antenna and establish the direction (in three-dimensional space) of a given transmitter.  Sort of a method of electronic triangulation.

I don't know how much application it has in ham radio.  I don't recall seeing any ham call signs associated with the documents I read during my Google search!  It looks like most of the uses are industrial.

Hope that gets you started, and like I said, probably subject to some clarification by brainier people.

73,

Ken Alexander
VE3HLS

Re: Education please

Ken Alexander-2
OK, I guess the ham application for an orthogonal antenna would be to use two loops at 90 degrees to each other.  With the electronic trickery I mentioned below you would have yourself a dandy direction finding antenna.  Great for transmitter hunts and tracking down jammers and other bad guys.

73 - Ken

Re: [K3] CP antenna article in Dec QST [was: Education please]

Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO
Just as a heads-up for anyone interested in this subject -- in the December
QST just now arriving in subscribers' hands, there is a cool article on X-O
circular polarization (CP) antennas. The author (Eric Nichols, KL7AJ)
discusses the fact that all F-layer ionospheric propagation is actually
circular and arrives at the receiving antenna by way of one of two different
refraction paths, depending on... well, you can read the article for the
theoretical details. He says all of this has actually been well understood
in physics and radio engineering circles since the 1930s, but (with a few
exceptions) has had scant mention in the ham radio literature.

The executive summary is that you can build a receive antenna (which
empirically demonstrates and proves the theory) consisting of two inverted
vee antennas constructed around a central support, with the four legs
arranged accurately such that the slopes of the legs are all identical, the
angles between the legs are all 90 degrees, and the two feedlines (connected
through identical baluns) are precisely the same length. By then inserting a
1/4-wavelength (90 degree) delay line in one dipole's feedline and then
adding the signals together through a T or some more sophisticated combiner,
you will get either a large increase in signal strength with respect to
either dipole individually, OR a commensurately large loss of signal
strength with respect to either dipole individually -- depending on which
variety of circular polarization (X-wave or O-wave) you are getting from the
station being received at the moment.

This is one kind of orthogonal receiving antenna that could have very
practical uses on the HF bands, especially if you have a diversity-capable
receiver such as the K3.

One possibility I can think of: You could set up two separate X-O inverted
vee antenna systems on two separated support masts, each magnetically
aligned as described in the article, with one antenna set up for X waves and
the other set up for O waves. Connect the X-wave configured antenna to one
receiver, the O-wave configured antenna to the other receiver. And say
goodbye to a lot of the QSB normally associated with F-layer-propagated
reception! (At least it seems to me that it would have that effect.)

Another possibility: use ultra-fast PIN diode switching of the 90-degree
delay line and reconstruct both an X and O output from a single antenna.
Since even PIN diodes probably can't switch faster than, say, one cycle at
14 MHz (about 72 nanoseconds), I don't know if this would work, as you would
be switching multiple cycles and fractions of cycles (asynchronously) back
and forth... Would this matter? You would end up with a 3-dB loss on each
leg, but that in itself should be trivial; absolute sensitivity is not an
issue at HF. But would the chopped-up waves be properly demodulated in the
receivers?

This is about where the engineering of it goes over my head... Comments?

Bill W5WVO

Re: [K3] CP antenna article in Dec QST [was: Education please]

Guy, K2AV
We used most of this at N4A this summer, see my other post for details.

Actually converting this to circular polarization at the RX end is
self-defeating because the rotation of polarization is itself
rotating, not at all steady.  If listening to the two antennas
separately in diversity, one is always doing fine when the other
tanks. This means copying the first time through, rather than asking
for repeats.  Listening to the circular polarization would have the
same number of fades as listening with a single dipole, once every
"rotation of rotation".

The noise floor exhibited the same degree and kind of rotation.

This was pretty clear listening to the weaker EU signals.  The
stronger signals did NOT exhibit this rotation, or nearly to the same
degree, and stayed in the same side of the diversity RX, leading to
the speculation that the rotation was more present on stations without
the ability to transmit at low angles, or some such.  Completely
unable to prove such a conjecture of course.

73, Guy.

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> goodbye to a lot of the QSB normally associated with F-layer-propagated
> reception! (At least it seems to me that it would have that effect.)
>
> Another possibility: use ultra-fast PIN diode switching of the 90-degree
> delay line and reconstruct both an X and O output from a single antenna.
> Since even PIN diodes probably can't switch faster than, say, one cycle at
> 14 MHz (about 72 nanoseconds), I don't know if this would work, as you would
> be switching multiple cycles and fractions of cycles (asynchronously) back
> and forth... Would this matter? You would end up with a 3-dB loss on each
> leg, but that in itself should be trivial; absolute sensitivity is not an
> issue at HF. But would the chopped-up waves be properly demodulated in the
> receivers?
>
> This is about where the engineering of it goes over my head... Comments?

Re: Education please

temilinrogers

Once upon a time, in a world filled with exam worries, a hero named take my teas exam for me emerged. Accompanied by a team of scholarly knights, they set out on a mission to banish stress and bring about a renaissance of incredible grades. Join them on this journey, and craft your own success story.

Re: [K3] CP antenna article in Dec QST [was: Education please]

temilinrogers
Consider this: why stress when you have a trusted ally in take my proctoru exam for me? Our credentialed team is more than just a service; it's your ticket to achieving those elusive grades. Leave behind the anxiety, embrace our expertise, and set yourself on a path towards undeniable success.

Re: Education please

temilinrogers
In the realm of academic support, our pay someone to take my teas exam service stands as a beacon of reliability and security, designed to facilitate remote exam-taking for students. With our assistance, you not only ensure a seamless academic journey but also gain a trusted partner committed to ensuring your educational endeavors are convenient and stress-free.