Elecraft Hex Key

KC6CNN
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Elecraft Hex Key

wb6rse1
You don't need a heavier paddle. Just museum wax on each foot. Press into position. Your paddle will stay put and not leave any marks if you decide to pry it up.

73 - Steve WB6RSE

On Aug 17, 2013, at 6:12 PM, KC6CNN wrote:

Any suggestions about tips to help me send lighter and or the number of
Elecraft hex keys made I would appreciated it.

Re: Elecraft Hex Key

mcduffie
On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 18:12:39 -0700 (PDT), KC6CNN wrote:

> I did find a heavy key, I ordered the K8RA Big Dog P5 key at 7 lbs. I hope
> it stays put.

> Any suggestions about tips to help me send lighter and or the number of
> Elecraft hex keys made I would appreciated it.

First, the desk surface must remain free of any waxes or dirt/dust, and the feet
must be clean and "sticky".  If that doesn't work, do what I do.

I use hot glue.  It works great and can be removed if you decide to move the key
to a different position.  I would not recommend locking it down until you've
been back on CW for awhile, as your positioning preference may change,
especially if you progress in speed.  I've glued down both my paddle and my old
Speed-X hand key on the desk, and they work fine.

Gary

Re: Elecraft Hex Key

Mike WA8BXN
If its moving around, I might drill holes in a board that match the feet of
the key and set it down on into the holes. Bolt, glue, clamp the board down
to your table as you see fit.

73 -Mike WA8BXN

Re: Elecraft Hex Key

Rick Tavan N6XI
http://www.hdaccessory.com/servlet/the-1696/sticky-gummy-dashboard-mat/Detail

This and related products solve all my paddle jitter problems. Much
stickier than the rubber shelving liners I'd used in the past.

/Rick

On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 6:12 PM, KC6CNN <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been relearning to send CW again. I am using a Bencher/Elecraft Hex
> Key Serial # E067.
> It is a typical bencher key with a weight of 3 lbs 2 ounces. I guess I am
> heavy handed and have been slapping that thing around the desk like a red
> headed step child. lol.
> I went and looked for a heavy key and about fell off the chair to find that
> the Bencher Hex is now selling for $325.
> Does anyone know how many of the Bencher/Elecraft keys were made?
> I did find a heavy key, I ordered the K8RA Big Dog P5 key at 7 lbs. I hope
> it stays put.
>
> Any suggestions about tips to help me send lighter and or the number of
> Elecraft hex keys made I would appreciated it.
>
> Thanks
> Gerald - KC6CNN
>

> -----
> KC6CNN - Gerald
> K2 # 5486
> K3 # 6254
> KX3 # 757

Rick Tavan N6XI
Truckee, CA

Re: Elecraft Hex Key

mcduffie
On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 19:30:01 -0700, Rick Tavan N6XI wrote:

> http://www.hdaccessory.com/servlet/the-1696/sticky-gummy-dashboard-mat/Detail
>
> This and related products solve all my paddle jitter problems. Much
> stickier than the rubber shelving liners I'd used in the past.

Good steer, Rick.  Same thing I use on the dash.  Just begin with clean surfaces
and don't move it around.  Cheap at WalMart, but they switched vendors and I
don't think the new ones are quite as good.  I'm holding an IC7000 on my desk
with one right now.  Never moves (inverted mobile mounting bracket on top of
non-slip pad on desk).

Gary

Re: Elecraft Hex Key

EricJ-2
I switch between keys frequently using a variety of straight keys, bugs,
cooties and paddles, sometimes during a QSO. It would be a royal pain to
have any kind of permanent mounting. I have a couple of pieces of
leather I got from a Tandy store years ago. Michael's also has nice
pieces about 3x6" for a buck or two. Just lay the leather down on your
desk and lay the key on top of it. It gives the key an elegant look, and
the key stays put for either hand. The method is untested for left or
right foot.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to reconsider technique including backing off
the tension a little, and try to lighten up a bit. It shouldn't take
brute force to hold a key in place.

Eric
KE6US

Re: Elecraft Hex Key