Elecraft K2/10 Upgrade

Rick-N8XI
I posed this question on eHam qrp forum and it was suggested I ask the experts here.

I am thinking of adding the KPA-100 (Amp) and KSB2 (SSB) options.
What hardware/firmware upgrades will I need to facilitate the additions?

And... is it worth it?

My K2/10 is a 1999 vintage. Serial Number 171.

Thanks
73, Rick - N8XI

Re: Elecraft K2/10 Upgrade

Don Wilhelm-4
Rick,

You can simply add the KPA100 and install the VCO ALC and 10/12 meter
bandpass filter Mod kit that comes with the KPA100 kit, and it will work.
However, I recommend doing a full upgrade.  Look at the K2 A to B
instructions to see the list of additional Mod kits (remember that the
10 meter bandpass and VCO ALC kit is included with the KPA100 kit).  The
K2KEYMODKT is not available from Elecraft due to a lack of the PIN diode
specified, but email me direct and I can send you the instructions and a
list of the parts to order - new K2 kits use a pin diode on a small
carrier board for the diode needed.
If your firmware is not upgraded to 2.04, now is the time to upgrade it.
In addition, I highly recommend that you upgrade the IF crystals as well.

Is it worth it?  Only you can answer that, but I can tell you that after
the upgrades, the K2 will be the performance equal of a newly
constructed K2 except for a few inconsequential items.  The cost for the
mod kits, new IF crystals, and new firmware will be in the vicinity of
$130 or less.

On 4/29/2014 7:53 AM, Rick-N8XI wrote:

> I posed this question on eHam qrp forum and it was suggested I ask the
> experts here.
>
> I am thinking of adding the KPA-100 (Amp) and KSB2 (SSB) options.
> What hardware/firmware upgrades will I need to facilitate the additions?
>
> And... is it worth it?
>
> My K2/10 is a 1999 vintage. Serial Number 171.
>

> Thanks
> 73, Rick - N8XI

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Elecraft K2/10 Upgrade

Johnny Siu
Hello Rick,

I trust you will get advice from experienced builders here.  Here are some additional points, you may wish to consider:

1.  If you do not need a one-piece K2/100, you may wish to think about a KXPA100 instead.  KXPA100 can work with any QRP transceiver including K2.

2.  There is a full description of modification older K2 in elecraft website.

http://www.elecraft.com/manual/k2a2binstr.pdf

Since I am an overseas user, I bought most of the components locally and did a modification for an older K2 with S/N under 2000.

73

Johnny VR2XMC

 寄件人︰ Rick-N8XI <[hidden email]>
收件人︰ [hidden email]
傳送日期︰ 2014年04月29日 (週二) 7:53 PM
主題︰ [Elecraft] Elecraft K2/10 Upgrade

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net/
Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Elecraft K2/10 Upgrade

Phil Wheeler-2
Rick,

If you're interested in running 100 watts I highly
recommend adding the KPA100. Ditto for the KSB2 if
you want to operate your K2 on SSB. I added each
when it first came out and the K2/100 (#380)
became my main station rig until I added the
K-Line (K3+) this year.

I also recommend adding the DSP option; it takes a
bit of work to set it up (lots of menu options!)
but it is very effective.

Even though I have the K3, the K2 is a keeper and
I continue to work on it. That's part of the fun:
You built it and can maintain and improve it.

73, Phil w7ox