Elecraft KAT1 AUTOMATIC ANTENNA TUNER

Richard Fredrickson
Built and operate the Elecraft K1 transceiver S/N 1112.  It has always functioned perfectly in the past, QRPDXCC etc.  I had not used the K1 for sometime and recently tried to fire it up.  The unit includes the KAT1 ATU.  Have been trying to follow the KAT1 operating Instruction Assembly and Operating Instruction manual apparently to no avail.  Obviously feel I am missing a step somewhere.  Would be most appreciative to receive clear step-by-step tuning instructions, re tuning, loading, SWR etc.  Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter.  Dick - W7MPZ

Re: Elecraft KAT1 AUTOMATIC ANTENNA TUNER

Don Wilhelm-4
Dick,

First make certain the ATU menu parameter is set to "tun".
Then hold both the buttons in the upper right of the front panel
together to initiate a TUNE.

If the KAT1 already has a tuning solution in place, the process will go
quickly and you may have to listen closely to hear relays click.
When it has found a tuning solution, it will display the resulting SWR.
Tap any button to exit the TUNE process.

Once you have Tuned the KAT1 to a particular antenna on a band, when you
return to that band it will switch to that tuning solution.  So if you
have done a TUNE on all bands, there is no need to re-tune unless you
change antennas.

On 10/26/2015 2:01 PM, Richard Fredrickson via Elecraft wrote:
> Built and operate the Elecraft K1 transceiver S/N 1112.  It has always
> functioned perfectly in the past, QRPDXCC etc.  I had not used the K1 for
> sometime and recently tried to fire it up.  The unit includes the KAT1 ATU.
> Have been trying to follow the KAT1 operating Instruction Assembly and
> Operating Instruction manual apparently to no avail.  Obviously feel I am
> missing a step somewhere.  Would be most appreciative to receive clear
> step-by-step tuning instructions, re tuning, loading, SWR etc.  Thank you in
> advance for your assistance in this matter.  Dick - W7MPZ

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Elecraft KAT1 AUTOMATIC ANTENNA TUNER

Mike Morrow-3
Don wrote:

> When it has found a tuning solution, it will display the resulting SWR.
> Tap any button to exit the TUNE process.

It's worth noting that the K1 continues transmitting after the tuning is complete, until the TUNE process is manually exited.

>  ...if you have done a TUNE on all bands, there is no need to re-tune
> unless you change antennas.

I'll add the obvious "or you operate far enough from the last-tuned frequency while using a limited-bandwidth antenna."  That happens easily if you have the 150 kHz (typically 170 kHz) VFO span option and a dipole on 40 meters.  :-)

Mike / KK5F

Message delivered to [hidden email]