Elecraft KX3 Owner's Manual now available (*preliminary*)

Elecraft KX3 Owner's Manual now available (*preliminary*)

wayne burdick
Administrator
A preliminary version of the KX3 Owner's Manual can now be downloaded
at:

    http://www.elecraft.com/K2_Manual_Download_Page.htm#KX3

The same link can also be found at the bottom of our KX3 page.

Still a few corrections and additions to be made, but it's close
enough to be entertaining.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

Re: Elecraft KX3 Owner's Manual now available (*preliminary*)

riese-k3djc

entertaining indeed

will the performance be good at 320 khz
or will there be attenuators in line?
any future chance to xmit at 475 khz

I WANT ONE

Bob  K3DJC

On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 15:33:17 -0800 Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]>
writes:

> A preliminary version of the KX3 Owner's Manual can now be downloaded
>
> at:
>
>     http://www.elecraft.com/K2_Manual_Download_Page.htm#KX3
>
> The same link can also be found at the bottom of our KX3 page.
>
> Still a few corrections and additions to be made, but it's close
> enough to be entertaining.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR

Re: [KX3] small correction in manual

va3bxg
One change need. The URL for HRD is pointing to the 'old' rather then the new URL from the people who bought the code from Simon

Or so I believe

Sent from my iPad

On 2012-03-04, at 18:33, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A preliminary version of the KX3 Owner's Manual can now be downloaded
> at:
>
> http://www.elecraft.com/K2_Manual_Download_Page.htm#KX3
>
> The same link can also be found at the bottom of our KX3 page.
>
> Still a few corrections and additions to be made, but it's close
> enough to be entertaining.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>
> __._,_.___
> Messages in this topic (1)
> RECENT ACTIVITY: New Members 36 New Files 1
> Visit Your Group
> .
>
> __,_._,___

Re: Elecraft KX3 Owner's Manual now available (*preliminary*)

W7GJ, Lance
Anybody know if the KX3 can be set into XMIT mode via the RTS serial line from the
computer going into ACC1?  I looked in the manual, but I could not find it.  I know
many people with barefoot rigs or modern QSK amplifiers don't care if they are
running digital modes in VOX mode, but all my amplifiers use mechanical relays and
when I run WSJT modes (such as FSK441 and JT65), I need to take advantage of the
built-in delay afforded through that software to turn on everything to XMIT well
BEFORE the tones are started.

If there is no way to do this with the ACC1 jack, it appears I will have to build a
separate transistor switch to interface with my USB to Serial port converter cable so
I can turn on the PTT somewhere else....possibly via a special Mic connector or
something.  Just more stuff to haul around on DXpeditions....

Any guidance would be appreciated!  MNI TNX and VY 73, Lance

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

--
Lance Collister, W7GJ
(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)

Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
page (above)!

Re: Elecraft KX3 Owner's Manual now available (*preliminary*)

Don Wilhelm-4
Lance,

There are only 2 conductors in the ACC1 jack, so no RTS input - only TXD
and RXD.  Your application will have to put the KX3 into transmit via
the TX command (HRD can do that, I don't know about others), then use RX
to get back to receive.

You can build the "one transistor keying circuit" that is published in
so many of the digital application help files and use that output to
drive PTT.  Unfortunately, that solution rules out using the KXUSB cable
- you would need to use a USB to serial adapter or a real serial port to
have the RTS (or DTR) signal available.

On 3/5/2012 11:51 AM, W7GJ, Lance wrote:

> Anybody know if the KX3 can be set into XMIT mode via the RTS serial line from the
> computer going into ACC1?  I looked in the manual, but I could not find it.  I know
> many people with barefoot rigs or modern QSK amplifiers don't care if they are
> running digital modes in VOX mode, but all my amplifiers use mechanical relays and
> when I run WSJT modes (such as FSK441 and JT65), I need to take advantage of the
> built-in delay afforded through that software to turn on everything to XMIT well
> BEFORE the tones are started.
>
> If there is no way to do this with the ACC1 jack, it appears I will have to build a
> separate transistor switch to interface with my USB to Serial port converter cable so
> I can turn on the PTT somewhere else....possibly via a special Mic connector or
> something.  Just more stuff to haul around on DXpeditions....
>
> Any guidance would be appreciated!  MNI TNX and VY 73, Lance

Re: Elecraft KX3 Owner's Manual now available (*preliminary*)

W7GJ, Lance
Hi Don,

MNI TNX.  That is what I was afraid of.  I have been requesting the WJST option to be
able to turn the XMTR on and off with TXD and RXD line commands for years, but I
guess it just has not risen high enough on the list :-(  This is the first time that
it is actually ME who needs it though - in the past it is all the ICOM users who
would benefit from having that option available.

Looks like I will have to get a second USB cable for the KX3, and build some sort of
interface that will plug into the KX3's custom mic jack to trigger the PTT.

VY 73, Lance

On 3/5/2012 5:15 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Lance,
>
> There are only 2 conductors in the ACC1 jack, so no RTS input - only TXD and RXD.
> Your application will have to put the KX3 into transmit via the TX command (HRD can
> do that, I don't know about others), then use RX to get back to receive.
>
> You can build the "one transistor keying circuit" that is published in so many of the
> digital application help files and use that output to drive PTT. Unfortunately, that
> solution rules out using the KXUSB cable - you would need to use a USB to serial
> adapter or a real serial port to have the RTS (or DTR) signal available.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 3/5/2012 11:51 AM, W7GJ, Lance wrote:
>> Anybody know if the KX3 can be set into XMIT mode via the RTS serial line from the
>> computer going into ACC1? I looked in the manual, but I could not find it. I know
>> many people with barefoot rigs or modern QSK amplifiers don't care if they are
>> running digital modes in VOX mode, but all my amplifiers use mechanical relays and
>> when I run WSJT modes (such as FSK441 and JT65), I need to take advantage of the
>> built-in delay afforded through that software to turn on everything to XMIT well
>> BEFORE the tones are started.
>>
>> If there is no way to do this with the ACC1 jack, it appears I will have to build a
>> separate transistor switch to interface with my USB to Serial port converter cable so
>> I can turn on the PTT somewhere else....possibly via a special Mic connector or
>> something. Just more stuff to haul around on DXpeditions....
>>
>> Any guidance would be appreciated! MNI TNX and VY 73, Lance

--
Lance Collister, W7GJ
(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)
P.O. Box 73
Frenchtown, MT   59834-0073
USA
TEL: (406) 626-5728
QTH: DN27ub
Windows Messenger: [hidden email]
Skype: lanceW7GJ
2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815

Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
page (above)!

Re: Elecraft KX3 Owner's Manual now available (*preliminary*)

wayne burdick
Administrator
We could provide the equivalent of RTS using the GPIO pin of the ACC2
jack. You'd have to split the signal out from the RS232 cable.

Wayne

On Mar 5, 2012, at 9:43 AM, Lance Collister, W7GJ wrote:

> [...]
>>> connector or
>>> something. Just more stuff to haul around on DXpeditions....
>>>
>>> Any guidance would be appreciated! MNI TNX and VY 73, Lance
>>>

> --
> Lance Collister, W7GJ
> (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)
> P.O. Box 73
> Frenchtown, MT   59834-0073
> USA
> TEL: (406) 626-5728
> QTH: DN27ub
> Windows Messenger: [hidden email]
> Skype: lanceW7GJ
> 2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815
>
> Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
> email group, or just fill in the request box at the bottom of my web
> page (above)!

Re: Elecraft KX3 Owner's Manual now available (*preliminary*)

Jim Brown-10
On 3/5/2012 9:43 AM, Lance Collister, W7GJ wrote:
> Looks like I will have to get a second USB cable for the KX3, and
> build some sort of interface that will plug into the KX3's custom mic
> jack to trigger the PTT.

Lance,

As I noted in a post on this topic to the WSJT list, VOX works just fine
for WSJT signals fed to the line input with well-behaved rigs and
well-behaved amps.  By well-behaved I mean having suitable delays
between a TX line controlling the power amp and the beginning of RF at
the output of the exciter, AGC within the exciter that prevents power
spikes at the beginning of TX, and fast, dependable antenna switching
that positively prevents hot switching. The Ten Tec and Alpha amps have
done that for at least three decades, and so does the Elecraft KPA500.

I use nothing but VOX for digital and SSB modes with my K3s driving
Titans during contests, and my KPA500 for casual operation.  During the
recent ARRL RTTY Roundup and WPX RTTY contests alone I made nearly 3,000
QSOs, and it's been at least 3-4 years since I replaced a vacuum relay
in one of the Titans.

73, Jim K9YC

Re: Elecraft KX3 Owner's Manual now available (*preliminary*)

W7GJ, Lance
Hi Jim,

TNX for your email and comments.  Yes, I understand what you are saying and
appreciate that you have had good success running VOX with your QSK-capable amplifiers.

However, my solid state 6M-1000 amplifier has a little mechanical antenna relay in
it, and the last thing I can afford to do is to hot switch that amp on a 6m EME
DXpedition and blow up the transistors and/or the little transfer relay inside it.
If there is ANY WAY that I can rig up the KX3 and amp to be switched into XMIT mode
ahead of time via the RTS line, I much prefer to do that and take advantage of that
very convenient safety feature that is built into the WSJT software.

Wayne's suggestion that there may be a way to send an RTS signal to the GPIO
connection on the tip of the ACC2 plug is very intriguing, and I am just trying to
figure out what interface cable(s) I would use and what I would need to build to be
able to maintain the ACC1 operation along with the amp activation through the ACC2,
while adding the RTS line from somewhere to the tip of the ACC2 cable ;-)

VY 73, Lance

page (above)!

Re: Elecraft KX3 Owner's Manual now available (*preliminary*)

wayne burdick
VOX will work with the KX3 as well.

Wayne

On Mar 5, 2012, at 10:35 AM, Jim Brown wrote:

> On 3/5/2012 9:43 AM, Lance Collister, W7GJ wrote:
>> Looks like I will have to get a second USB cable for the KX3, and
>> build some sort of interface that will plug into the KX3's custom mic
>> jack to trigger the PTT.
>
> Lance,
>
> As I noted in a post on this topic to the WSJT list, VOX works just
> fine
> for WSJT signals fed to the line input with well-behaved rigs and
> well-behaved amps.  By well-behaved I mean having suitable delays
> between a TX line controlling the power amp and the beginning of RF at
> the output of the exciter, AGC within the exciter that prevents power
> spikes at the beginning of TX, and fast, dependable antenna switching
> that positively prevents hot switching. The Ten Tec and Alpha amps
> have
> done that for at least three decades, and so does the Elecraft KPA500.
>
> I use nothing but VOX for digital and SSB modes with my K3s driving
> Titans during contests, and my KPA500 for casual operation.  During
> the
> recent ARRL RTTY Roundup and WPX RTTY contests alone I made nearly
> 3,000
> QSOs, and it's been at least 3-4 years since I replaced a vacuum relay
> in one of the Titans.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Re: Elecraft KX3 Owner's Manual now available (*preliminary*)

Lance,

You should not need another USB cable, but use the KXSER cable (and a
USB to serial adapter if needed) which will give you access to the RTS
and DTR pins of the serial port.
Yes, you will have to add the wires to the existing KXSER cable.

On 3/5/2012 12:43 PM, Lance Collister, W7GJ wrote:

> Hi Don,
>
> MNI TNX.  That is what I was afraid of.  I have been requesting the WJST option to be
> able to turn the XMTR on and off with TXD and RXD line commands for years, but I
> guess it just has not risen high enough on the list :-(  This is the first time that
> it is actually ME who needs it though - in the past it is all the ICOM users who
> would benefit from having that option available.
>
> Looks like I will have to get a second USB cable for the KX3, and build some sort of
> interface that will plug into the KX3's custom mic jack to trigger the PTT.
>
> VY 73, Lance
>
> On 3/5/2012 5:15 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>> Lance,
>>
>> There are only 2 conductors in the ACC1 jack, so no RTS input - only TXD and RXD.
>> Your application will have to put the KX3 into transmit via the TX command (HRD can
>> do that, I don't know about others), then use RX to get back to receive.
>>
>> You can build the "one transistor keying circuit" that is published in so many of the
>> digital application help files and use that output to drive PTT. Unfortunately, that
>> solution rules out using the KXUSB cable - you would need to use a USB to serial
>> adapter or a real serial port to have the RTS (or DTR) signal available.
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR
>>
>> On 3/5/2012 11:51 AM, W7GJ, Lance wrote:
>>> Anybody know if the KX3 can be set into XMIT mode via the RTS serial line from the
>>> computer going into ACC1? I looked in the manual, but I could not find it. I know
>>> many people with barefoot rigs or modern QSK amplifiers don't care if they are
>>> running digital modes in VOX mode, but all my amplifiers use mechanical relays and
>>> when I run WSJT modes (such as FSK441 and JT65), I need to take advantage of the
>>> built-in delay afforded through that software to turn on everything to XMIT well
>>> BEFORE the tones are started.
>>>
>>> If there is no way to do this with the ACC1 jack, it appears I will have to build a
>>> separate transistor switch to interface with my USB to Serial port converter cable so
>>> I can turn on the PTT somewhere else....possibly via a special Mic connector or
>>> something. Just more stuff to haul around on DXpeditions....
>>>
>>> Any guidance would be appreciated! MNI TNX and VY 73, Lance

Re: Elecraft KX3 Owner's Manual now available(*preliminary*)

Oliver Dröse
> Wayne's suggestion that there may be a way to send an RTS signal to the
> GPIO
> connection on the tip of the ACC2 plug is very intriguing, and I am just
> trying to
> figure out what interface cable(s) I would use and what I would need to
> build to be
> able to maintain the ACC1 operation along with the amp activation through
> the ACC2,
> while adding the RTS line from somewhere to the tip of the ACC2 cable ;-)

Lance, what's the advantage of using the KX3's GPIO pin for PTT over the PTT
line on the mic connector? You have to plug-in the audio cables for WSJT
anyway and need a separate line for PTT on the computer side anyway, too.
The only advantage I could see is you do not need an adapter on the 4 pin
(TRRS) mic connector of the KX3, but that's about all. ;-)) Hw?

Vy 73, Olli - DH8BQA
http://www.dh8bqa.de/

Re: Elecraft KX3 Owner's Manual now available(*preliminary*)

W7GJ, Lance
Hello Olli,

The advantage is that I could possibly pull out the RTS line from my one RS232 cable
to the computer, and simply add it to the amplifier PTT plug in ACC2.  I would not
have to build a transistor switch to directly trigger the PTT line, which would have
to be broken out from the custom MIC plug.

There appear to be several different ways that I could force the KX3 into XMIT from
the computer's RTS serial port line, and I will have to try to figure out the
simplest way, with the KX3-compatible plugs that I can find. I THINK I could plug a
standard right/left audio splitter into the MIC jack, and plug a mono mic plug from
my headset or the computer LINE OUT into one side and a PTT signal (from a switching
transistor activated by the RTS line, or from a footswitch) into the other side.

I think I may have to wait until the KX3 arrives, and I can actually see how the
connectors (and computer cables) work with it, before I can make a final decision on
what course to take.  Like the K3, one of the big advantages seems to be that it is
very flexible radio, and there is probably some way to make it do just about
everything you need ;-)

VY 73, Lance

page (above)!

On 3/5/2012 11:09 AM, W7GJ, Lance wrote:
> However, my solid state 6M-1000 amplifier has a little mechanical antenna relay in
> it, and the last thing I can afford to do is to hot switch that amp on a 6m EME
> DXpedition and blow up the transistors and/or the little transfer relay inside it.

I understand, and like many others, greatly appreciate your initiative
to recycle those high quality ch 2 power amps for 6M. BUT -- designing
and building some sort of bulletproof T/R antenna switching ought to be
part of that conversion.  It doesn't take much to rig a suitable vacuum
relay like the Jennings, Kilovac, or Gigavac, and the Ten Tec schematics
for the Titan 425, which are on my website, illustrate an easy way to
sense that the relay has positively switched. They did it in the late
70s with discrete small signal NPN and PNP transistors, and it still
works just fine 35 years later.  BTW -- Alpha uses  Gigavac relays in
their current production, and they're not expensive. They will sell
small quantities directly to hams at about $80 each, and I've heard of
at least respected ham vendor who beats that price by something like 20%.

While it's great to see more features built into Elecraft rigs, we must
realize that they are not free (at a minimum there is engineering time
to do the programming and document it), some can be costly or
impractical, depending on the hardware, and when they are costly, it is
not reasonable to burden all KX3 owners with things that can (and
should) be done outside the radio.

73,  Jim K9YC

Re: Elecraft KX3 Owner's Manual now available(*preliminary*)

Lance,

I would not think you could apply raw RS-232 levels (up to +/- 25 volts)
to any input of the KX3 other than those designed to accept those levels
- and that certainly would apply to the GPIO.  I would expect it to
accept a maximum of 5 volts and a low level of zero volts - so you need
the one-transistor circuit no matter which way you plug it.

On 3/5/2012 2:50 PM, W7GJ, Lance wrote:
> Hello Olli,
>
> The advantage is that I could possibly pull out the RTS line from my one RS232 cable
> to the computer, and simply add it to the amplifier PTT plug in ACC2.  I would not
> have to build a transistor switch to directly trigger the PTT line, which would have
> to be broken out from the custom MIC plug.

Re: Elecraft KX3 Owner's Manual nowavailable(*preliminary*)

Oliver Dröse
> The advantage is that I could possibly pull out the RTS line from my one
> RS232 cable
> to the computer, and simply add it to the amplifier PTT plug in ACC2.  I
> would not
> have to build a transistor switch to directly trigger the PTT line, which
> would have
> to be broken out from the custom MIC plug.

Hi Lance,

you should *NOT* apply RTS directly to the GPIO pin! RS-232 levels go up
into the +/-20 volts region per specs and that would probably damage the
microcontroller in the KX3 (at least this pin). Maybe Wayne can shine some
light onto if GPIO is directly connected to the MC and thus can only accept
5 V or if there is something else in-between.

Please don't be mistaken by that you can apply RTS directly at the K3
because that has a level converter built in active also for RTS/DTR pins
while the KX3 probably won't (see above).

So an "interface" is needed anyway (1-transistor-interface), that's why I
originally asked what the advantage of using GPIO for PTT would be (besides
maybe easier cabling).

A better solution might be to simply use VOX on DATA A then also for WSJT
(just for easier cabling, I would still prefer "real" PTT on the mic
connector) and use GPIO's TX-INHIBIT functionality together with a smallish
sequencer (could be built into the amp, too). Then you could be sure that
the radio is not putting out any HF before all other equipment (PA, pre-amp,
etc.) has switched and the TX-INH is unlocked. I am doing exactly that on my
K3 ... and others, too. ;-))

Vy 73, Olli - DH8BQA
http://www.dh8bqa.de

Re: Elecraft KX3 Owner's Manual now available (*preliminary*)

W7GJ, Lance
Hi Jim,

TNX for your suggestions on the Harris amps on my website.  I agree that they should
have some good switching on them, and have been suggesting that people use good
coaxial relays, preferably those with an extra set of protection contats, so the amp
is not turned on until the coax relays has switched.  They are great amps, though,
and have fantastic protection circuitry built into them, so they are really hard to
damage ;-) And it is nice to be able to get around a kw on 6m with only 10w of drive!

However, my discussions recently have not been involving those big amps at
all...rather my current application is to use the KX3 on overseas 6m EME Dxpeditions
in conjunction with the M2 6M-1000 12 pound 6m amplifier.  I greatly appreciate all
the guidance, and I will plan to build up some sort of arrangement to key the KX3 via
the PTT line out of the MIC connector.

VY 73, Lance

On 3/5/2012 8:29 PM, Jim Brown-10 [via Elecraft] wrote:

> On 3/5/2012 11:09 AM, W7GJ, Lance wrote:
>  > However, my solid state 6M-1000 amplifier has a little mechanical antenna relay in
>  > it, and the last thing I can afford to do is to hot switch that amp on a 6m EME
>  > DXpedition and blow up the transistors and/or the little transfer relay inside it.
>
> I understand, and like many others, greatly appreciate your initiative
> to recycle those high quality ch 2 power amps for 6M. BUT -- designing
> and building some sort of bulletproof T/R antenna switching ought to be
> part of that conversion. It doesn't take much to rig a suitable vacuum
> relay like the Jennings, Kilovac, or Gigavac, and the Ten Tec schematics
> for the Titan 425, which are on my website, illustrate an easy way to
> sense that the relay has positively switched. They did it in the late
> 70s with discrete small signal NPN and PNP transistors, and it still
> works just fine 35 years later. BTW -- Alpha uses Gigavac relays in
> their current production, and they're not expensive. They will sell
> small quantities directly to hams at about $80 each, and I've heard of
> at least respected ham vendor who beats that price by something like 20%.
>
> While it's great to see more features built into Elecraft rigs, we must
> realize that they are not free (at a minimum there is engineering time
> to do the programming and document it), some can be costly or
> impractical, depending on the hardware, and when they are costly, it is
> not reasonable to burden all KX3 owners with things that can (and
> should) be done outside the radio.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC
> Post: mailto:[hidden email] </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=7346275&i=0>

> <
> NAML
> <
http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

--
Lance Collister, W7GJ
(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)
P.O. Box 73
Frenchtown, MT   59834-0073
USA
TEL: (406) 626-5728
QTH: DN27ub
Windows Messenger: [hidden email]
Skype: lanceW7GJ
2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815

Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
page (above)!

Re: Elecraft KX3 Owner's Manual now available (*preliminary*)

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

Lance,

> However, my discussions recently have not been involving those big
> amps at all...rather my current application is to use the KX3 on
> overseas 6m EME Dxpeditions in conjunction with the M2 6M-1000 12
> pound 6m amplifier. I greatly appreciate all the guidance, and I
> will plan to build up some sort of arrangement to key the KX3 via the
> PTT line out of the MIC connector.

Since your concern is really for switching the amplifier and possibly
an LNA, you may be able to "split the baby".  Consider using the KX3
serial cable and a USB to serial converter.  That way you can use RTS
to switch the amplifier (split out a simple single transistor driver
for the amplifier) and allow the WSJT software to delay audio by +/-
200 ms with the KX3 in VOX.

You could even build the transistor driver into the EME amp (PTT on
 > +3V) so the only "extra" item needed would be a simple splitter cable
to connect between the USB converter and KX3SER cable.

The same solution would be applicable to *any* transceiver with a TTL
or RS-232 control interface and old laptops with a traditional serial
port.  Allow the transceiver to switch based on "data VOX" and have
the software provide "advance PTT".  If memory serves, the specs call
for JT-65 to assert PTT on the minute with tones starting one second
past the minute which by its very nature provides a 1 second "advance
PTT".

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 3/5/2012 4:16 PM, W7GJ, Lance wrote:

> [...]
>> impractical, depending on the hardware, and when they are costly, it is
>> not reasonable to burden all KX3 owners with things that can (and
>> should) be done outside the radio.
>>
>> 73, Jim K9YC
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=7346275&i=0>

>> <
>> NAML
>> <
http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Re: Elecraft KX3 Owner's Manual nowavailable(*preliminary*)

We will have voltage/current limiting on this pin, but I was thinking
TTL level RTS. We'll be putting a spec on the port pins.

Wayne
N6KR

P3SVGA

Bill [NS4C]