Elecraft KX3 Owner's Manual now available (*preliminary*)

Re: P3SVGA

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
Almost! We are testing the final firmware right now. We made a few f/w
changes as a result of field tester feedback.

If all goes to plan, we should ship later this week.

73,

Eric
---
www.elecraft.com

On 3/5/2012 2:11 PM, Bill [NS4C] wrote:

> Did the P3SVGA start shipping today?

Re: Elecraft KX3 Owner's Manual now available (*preliminary*)

W7GJ, Lance
Thanks for all the suggestions!  I called Elecraft Tech Support and they confirmed
that the optional "KXSER" cable had a DB9 back that could be opened, providing access
to all the serial lines that came in on my USB to serial converter cable (I will just
use the one that I have been using on K3 when operating portable).  I will then
install a transistor switch in that connector and add a line out of that DB9
connector to the mic jack to key the rig ;-)

So, I added that change to my KX3 order and I THINK the problem is solved!  I just
need to order one of those special mic plugs and wire it with jacks for the mic and
PTT and I am in business!  TNX for all the help!  VY

--
Lance Collister, W7GJ
(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)

Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
page (above)!

Re: Elecraft KX3 Owner's Manual nowavailable(*preliminary*)

Jim Brown-10
On 3/5/2012 12:58 PM, Oliver Dröse wrote:
> you should*NOT*  apply RTS directly to the GPIO pin! RS-232 levels go up
> into the ±20 volts region per specs

Not in recent recorded history!  So-called RS-232 interfaces started
getting cheapened many years ago (before they went away and were
replaced by USB), and one of the first things to go was output voltage
swing. Think about the voltages available in a laptop, for example. I'd
be very surprised to see more than 10-12V on anything other than an
industrial RS232 interface, and less  on most laptops.

73, Jim K9YC

Re: Elecraft KX3 Owner's Manual now available (*preliminary*)

W7GJ, Lance
What is in the "KX3 ACCESSORY CABLE KIT" referenced in the manual and how much does
it cost?  I can not find it on the order form anywhere...Maybe I just can't figure
out where to look for it.  VY 73, Lance

--
Lance Collister, W7GJ
(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)
P.O. Box 73
Frenchtown, MT   59834-0073
USA
TEL: (406) 626-5728
QTH: DN27ub
Windows Messenger: [hidden email]
Skype: lanceW7GJ
2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815

Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
page (above)!

Re: Elecraft KX3 Owner's Manual nowavailable(*preliminary*)

Pete Smith N4ZR
Not just RS-232 either.  A few years ago I had two band decoders, and
they would work fine on one LPT port but not on the other.  Turned out
the questionable port was only delivering 3.3 volts as logic 1, not
quite enough for the band decoder.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000

On 3/6/2012 12:36 AM, Jim Brown wrote:

> On 3/5/2012 12:58 PM, Oliver Dröse wrote:
>> you should*NOT*  apply RTS directly to the GPIO pin! RS-232 levels go up
>> into the ±20 volts region per specs
> Not in recent recorded history!  So-called RS-232 interfaces started
> getting cheapened many years ago (before they went away and were
> replaced by USB), and one of the first things to go was output voltage
> swing. Think about the voltages available in a laptop, for example. I'd
> be very surprised to see more than 10-12V on anything other than an
> industrial RS232 interface, and less  on most laptops.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Re: Elecraft KX3 Owner's Manualnowavailable(*preliminary*)

Oliver Dröse
Hi Jim,

you are correct about lower voltages on "modern" computers. Nevertheless the
specs are higher and even 10-12 V is too much for most microprocessor pins.
And I've seen a lot of ham shacks where *old* computers are still in use
that have real serial ports with correct levels (as per sprecs). So to be on
the save side we should not suggest people to apply RS-232 line levels
directly even though it *might* work with some computers. ;-))

Vy 73, Olli - DH8BQA
http://www.dh8bqa.de

On 3/5/2012 12:58 PM, Oliver Dröse wrote:
> you should*NOT*  apply RTS directly to the GPIO pin! RS-232 levels go up
> into the ±20 volts region per specs

Not in recent recorded history!  So-called RS-232 interfaces started
getting cheapened many years ago (before they went away and were
replaced by USB), and one of the first things to go was output voltage
swing. Think about the voltages available in a laptop, for example. I'd
be very surprised to see more than 10-12V on anything other than an
industrial RS232 interface, and less  on most laptops.

73, Jim K9YC

-----
eMail ist virenfrei.
Von AVG überprüft - www.avg.de
Version: 2012.0.1913 / Virendatenbank: 2114/4852 - Ausgabedatum: 05.03.2012

Re: Elecraft KX3 Owner's Manual now available (*preliminary*)

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Lance,

I apologize, but that information is incorrect. The KXSER uses a sealed
molded connector for the RS-232 connector. It can not be opened.

There are a number of simple RS-232 male-female break our boards onthe
net. You might want to try one of those. Or just make a simple short
RS-232 cable that breaks out the desired lines.

73,

Eric
---
www.elecraft.com

On 3/5/2012 7:54 PM, Lance Collister, W7GJ wrote:

> Thanks for all the suggestions!  I called Elecraft Tech Support and they confirmed
> that the optional "KXSER" cable had a DB9 back that could be opened, providing access
> to all the serial lines that came in on my USB to serial converter cable (I will just
> use the one that I have been using on K3 when operating portable).  I will then
> install a transistor switch in that connector and add a line out of that DB9
> connector to the mic jack to key the rig ;-)
>
> So, I added that change to my KX3 order and I THINK the problem is solved!  I just
> need to order one of those special mic plugs and wire it with jacks for the mic and
> PTT and I am in business!  TNX for all the help!  VY
>
> On 3/5/2012 5:43 PM, Lance Collister, W7GJ wrote:
>> Hi Don,
>>
>> MNI TNX.  That is what I was afraid of.  I have been requesting the WJST option to be
>> able to turn the XMTR on and off with TXD and RXD line commands for years, but I
>> guess it just has not risen high enough on the list :-(  This is the first time that
>> it is actually ME who needs it though - in the past it is all the ICOM users who
>> would benefit from having that option available.
>>
>> Looks like I will have to get a second USB cable for the KX3, and build some sort of
>> interface that will plug into the KX3's custom mic jack to trigger the PTT.
>>
>> VY 73, Lance
>>
>> On 3/5/2012 5:15 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>>> Lance,
>>>
>>> There are only 2 conductors in the ACC1 jack, so no RTS input - only TXD and RXD.
>>> Your application will have to put the KX3 into transmit via the TX command (HRD can
>>> do that, I don't know about others), then use RX to get back to receive.
>>>
>>> You can build the "one transistor keying circuit" that is published in so many of the
>>> digital application help files and use that output to drive PTT. Unfortunately, that
>>> solution rules out using the KXUSB cable - you would need to use a USB to serial
>>> adapter or a real serial port to have the RTS (or DTR) signal available.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> Don W3FPR

Re: Elecraft KX3 Owner's Manual now available (*preliminary*)

Kevin Cozens-2
On 12-03-04 06:33 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
> A preliminary version of the KX3 Owner's Manual can now be downloaded
> at:
>
>      http://www.elecraft.com/K2_Manual_Download_Page.htm#KX3

Thanks, Wayne. When I first saw pictures of the KX3 I couldn't see the 7, 8,
or 9 buttons. I have found them in more recent pictures. I'm curious to
learn how to enter a frequency using 7, 8, and 9 when they are on (what
appear to be) rotary knobs rather than pushbuttons.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include <disclaimer/favourite> |             --Chris Hardwick

Re: Elecraft KX3 Owner's Manual now available (*preliminary*)

wayne burdick
Administrator
The knobs have integral pushbuttons....

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Mar 8, 2012, at 7:57 AM, Kevin Cozens wrote:

> On 12-03-04 06:33 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
>> A preliminary version of the KX3 Owner's Manual can now be downloaded
>> at:
>>
>>     http://www.elecraft.com/K2_Manual_Download_Page.htm#KX3
>
> Thanks, Wayne. When I first saw pictures of the KX3 I couldn't see
> the 7, 8,
> or 9 buttons. I have found them in more recent pictures. I'm curious
> learn how to enter a frequency using 7, 8, and 9 when they are on
> (what
> appear to be) rotary knobs rather than pushbuttons.
>
> --
> Cheers!
>
> Kevin.
>
> http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that
> distract
> Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's
> why we're
>                                 | powerful!"
> #include <disclaimer/favourite> |             --Chris Hardwick

Re: Elecraft KX3 Owner's Manual now available (*preliminary*)

Jussi Eloranta
Hi,

I think the manual should list the exact pin outs for each connector in KX3 - just like given for the microphone input in the current version of the manual. Many of these might be obvious to experienced hams (like the CW key input) but may not be so to new comers. Anyway, I have question related to the I/Q output - should I use a straight stereo cable (gnd to gnd, left to left, right to right) for going from I/Q to the line in in my PC sound card? (the exact pin outs for all the connectors should be preferably listed in an appendix as a table for fast access).

Thanks,

Jussi Eloranta

Re: Elecraft KX3 Owner's Manual now available (*preliminary*)

Jussi Eloranta
Hi,

Forgot to also mention that the KX3 preliminary manual only refers to a
windows program (http://www.hdsdr.de) for SDR (which pretty much leaves
mac and linux users in the dark; it might work under the wine
emulator?). There are multiplatform applications, such as python based
quisk, that will do the very basic stuff. Perhaps it would be a good
idea to try to promote multiplatform solutions (or at least mention
about their existence)?

Jussi Eloranta

ps. Is there another way to provide feedback on the KX3 manual rather
than posting everything on the mailing list?
I am pretty sure that most people don't want to see these posts...