Elecraft KX3 and Mac

VE3WDM

My KX3 is on order and should be in around October according to the latest Elecraft shipping dates. I have the K3 running on Windows and it works great. My wife has given me an Imac desktop with the 27 inch screen (she is fantastic and spoils me). I want to run the KX3 on the Mac but was wanting to get the reflectors input on which software to use. I have seen Rumlog and RumPed as well as MacloggerDX. I understand MacloggerDX cost some $$ but I am willing to spend the money if the program is right for the KX3. So what are you folks using out there.....have I missed something? At VE3WDM I mainly am involved with CW contesting and CW DXing. Not into digi at all except WSPR sometimes. Looking for your feedback...
Mike
VE3WDM

Re: Elecraft KX3 and Mac

Chuck Shefflette
I tried Rumlog/Rumped and wasn't overly thrilled. I use MacLoggerDX for my regular daily logging; I use the N1MM logger with Parallels in a Windows7 VM for contest logging if I am playing a contest MLDX doesn't support since it directly supports a lot more contests. MLDX makes a good "light" contest logger and will work with most contests if you aren't interested in a running score or some of the other "neat" features of the dedicated contest loggers. Don Agro (MLDX's author) provides wonderful support and there is a very active Yahoo group dedicated to it.

Chuck
AA3CS

On 13 Aug 2012, at 19:10, Mike Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My KX3 is on order and should be in around October according to the latest Elecraft shipping dates. I have the K3 running on Windows and it works great. My wife has given me an Imac desktop with the 27 inch screen (she is fantastic and spoils me). I want to run the KX3 on the Mac but was wanting to get the reflectors input on which software to use. I have seen Rumlog and RumPed as well as MacloggerDX. I understand MacloggerDX cost some $$ but I am willing to spend the money if the program is right for the KX3. So what are you folks using out there.....have I missed something? At VE3WDM I mainly am involved with CW contesting and CW DXing. Not into digi at all except WSPR sometimes. Looking for your feedback...
> Mike
> VE3WDM

73 - Chuck, AA3CS

Re: Elecraft KX3 and Mac

Mike Reublin
Mike -

I use RUMLog on my K3 and like it /*much*/ better than MacLoggerDX, and
in my opinion support is better. The only thing I'd like to see in
RUMLog is rotor control. It's rumored Tom is working on it.

The KX3 is not in RUMLog's transceiver list.  I believe the KX3 shares a
lot of the control set with the K3 (Wayne. Dick?). At the price of
RUMLog, it would be worth a try.

73, Mike NF4L

On 8/13/12 7:10 PM, Mike Weir wrote:

> My KX3 is on order and should be in around October according to the latest Elecraft shipping dates. I have the K3 running on Windows and it works great. My wife has given me an Imac desktop with the 27 inch screen (she is fantastic and spoils me). I want to run the KX3 on the Mac but was wanting to get the reflectors input on which software to use. I have seen Rumlog and RumPed as well as MacloggerDX. I understand MacloggerDX cost some $$ but I am willing to spend the money if the program is right for the KX3. So what are you folks using out there.....have I missed something? At VE3WDM I mainly am involved with CW contesting and CW DXing. Not into digi at all except WSPR sometimes. Looking for your feedback...
> Mike
> VE3WDM

> Post:mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by:http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list:http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: Elecraft KX3 and Mac

Rick Prather-2
The "best" choice for logging programs is very much dependent on your operating style.

For the casual Op MLDX is slick, pretty and well done, it's also expensive.

For the DX'er I find that RUMlog is the clear choice.  I think it does a great job of filtering packet posts from multiple telnet sources and color coding Country/Band/Mode info to quickly assess if a spot needs to be worked or confirmed.   The matrix display for each DXCC is exceptional and quickly lets you know what you need to know.

RL's integration with LoTW is a one click upload and it is downloaded automatically every time you open the program if you chose.

RL also does a great job of keeping track of QSL's by paper, LoTw and even eQSL separately.  The summary reports for each type of QSL are great too.

I wind up running RL as my primary day to day logger and control program (it also has a great control panel for the K3 and presumably the KX3.)

Sometimes I'll also rum MLDX along side it since I have already invested about $130 over the years in it.  I use it mainly to do quick lookups on a call.

BTW, I also still run DXKeeper under XP in Parallels about once a week or so to crunch log results but it's sure nice to shut it down and go back to OSX only.

Since you mention RUMped, I also use it mostly for RTTY contests.

Enjoy you iMac.  I think I'll be replacing my 24" with the 27" soon.

Rick
K6LE

On 8/13/2012, at 4:10 , Mike Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My KX3 is on order and should be in around October according to the latest Elecraft shipping dates. I have the K3 running on Windows and it works great. My wife has given me an Imac desktop with the 27 inch screen (she is fantastic and spoils me). I want to run the KX3 on the Mac but was wanting to get the reflectors input on which software to use. I have seen Rumlog and RumPed as well as MacloggerDX. I understand MacloggerDX cost some $$ but I am willing to spend the money if the program is right for the KX3. So what are you folks using out there.....have I missed something? At VE3WDM I mainly am involved with CW contesting and CW DXing. Not into digi at all except WSPR sometimes. Looking for your feedback...
> Mike
> VE3WDM

Re: Elecraft KX3 and Mac

Bill Frantz
I belong in the itinerant casual operating category. I operate
from two main QTHs, in California and in New Hampshire. In
addition, I also operate mobile HF and backpack portable HF. I
am quite well served by RUMlog for these operations except for
location support. I used RUMped for field day and was quite
satisfied. I could easily transfer the QSOs to a new RUMlog log
for LotW upload. However RUMped also dosen't have any kind of
location support, and I was operating mobil (with my wife,
KI6DSLX driving). So I lied and said all the QSOs were from
Lewisburg WV when some of them were from a few miles away.

I am a big fan of paper QSLs, considering them an art form.
RUMlog's paper QSL support is minimal but useful, and being able
to log the ones received can be quite useful.

I have not heard of any logging program, Mac, Linux, or Windows,
which has decent location support.  I think, but am not sure,
that with a GPS location, it is straight forward to look up all
the other information that hams seem to want, including: State,
IOTW, CQ zone (whatever that is used for), county, city, etc. So
it would be nice to get them all automatically with a connected
GPS, and automatically add it to LotW and eQSL (when they can
support it) uploads. Having them available to automatically
print for paper QSLs would be nice too. Note that the internet
may not be available during the QSO, but it is reasonable to
assume it is available during uploads.

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV

Re: Elecraft KX3 and Mac

VE3WDM
I want to thank all who posted their comments here and also those who emailed me off list. Great input and it seems that Rumlog and Rumped is the way to go. There was also some feedback about crossover and using some windows programs for contesting.
Thanks all
Mike
VE3WDM

Re: Elecraft KX3 and Mac

John_N1JM
Yes, I love Rumlog and Rumped on the Mac. I once had MLDX but wasn't my cup of tea. Rumlog works very well with a KX3. Use K2/K3 as the TRX. If you use the tranceiver control panel some of the commands such as A/B, A=B do not work on the KX3

Re: Elecraft KX3 and Mac

Rick Prather-2
If someone that looked at RUMlog before hasn't gone back and looked at Version 5.02 they should.

The documentation is a bit behind but there are lots of nice new features.

Rick
K6LE