Excellent exchange rate (or article?) helping Elecraft sales to Europe?

Excellent exchange rate (or article?) helping Elecraft sales to Europe?

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
I've noticed a pleasant increase in orders for K1, K2, KX1 radios and
accessories recently from Europe. Much more so than I usually see
during this time of year. I guess we must be doing something right, or
we're getting a little help from somewhere..  :-)

Can anyone tell me if there has been a recent article on Elecraft
published in a European ham radio magazine that I may have
missed that could account for this?

Or is this more simply explained by the recent dip in the Dollar to
Euro & Pound exchange rate, which has reduced the cost of U.S. items
significantly to the UK and the rest of Europe?

73, Eric   WA6HHQ
http://www.elecraft.com

Re: Excellent exchange rate (or article?) helping Elecraftsales to Europe?

Pierre Desjardins
Hi Eric.. I am just coming back from France and operated my KX1 for a whole
month there..with pretty good results.

 Maybe part of the explanation (HI)...:-)

72 de Pierre VE2PID KX1 # 442

> I've noticed a pleasant increase in orders for K1, K2, KX1 radios and

Re: Excellent exchange rate ...

Ingo Meyer DK3RED
Hello Eric,

> Can anyone tell me if there has been a recent article on Elecraft
> published in a European ham radio magazine that I may have
> missed that could account for this?

1. The KX1 was published i.e. in the German ham radio magazin
    "Funkamateur" some month ago.
2. The English manual for the K2 is for some builder in the German
    speaking area a problem, so the QRPproject (www.qrpproject.de) has
    translated these one.
3. The support for the K2, K1 and KX1 by the QRPproject in
    Berlin/Germany with QRPeter DL2FI on the top is excellent.
4. Last but not least I think the publicity and practical knowledge of
    more than 4500 builder around the world is pushing the elecraft rigs.
--
72/73 de Ingo, DK3RED   Don't forget: the fun is the power!

    [hidden email]   www.dk3red.homepage.t-online.de
      DL-QRP-AG   #824   www.dl-qrp-ag.de
       QRP ARCI #11295   www.qrparci.org

Re: Excellent exchange rate (or article?) helping Elecraft sales to Europe?

stephen Farthing
Eric,
        Whilst the exchange rate in the UK is very favourable I think the main reason
is that word gets around about the excellence of Elecraft products and the
support both from the company and this group. I have had my K2 kit for almost
a year...we made a group purchase at a far lower exchange rate..I have yet to
start mine...due to pressure of work, hopefully construction will commence at
xmas time...the other four members of the group (three in UK, 1 in the
Netherlands) have all built them and are very pleased.I know that a couple of
talks have been given at clubs in the West of England on the K2.

I think you guys at Elecraft should be very proud of what you have
achieved....

73, Steve G0XAR

On Monday 22 November 2004 18:19, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:

> I've noticed a pleasant increase in orders for K1, K2, KX1 radios and
> accessories recently from Europe. Much more so than I usually see
> during this time of year. I guess we must be doing something right, or
> we're getting a little help from somewhere..  :-)
>
> Can anyone tell me if there has been a recent article on Elecraft
> published in a European ham radio magazine that I may have
> missed that could account for this?
>
> Or is this more simply explained by the recent dip in the Dollar to
> Euro & Pound exchange rate, which has reduced the cost of U.S. items
> significantly to the UK and the rest of Europe?
>
> 73, Eric   WA6HHQ
> http://www.elecraft.com

Re: Excellent exchange rate (or article?) helping Elecraft sales to Europe?

Ken G3WCS
Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:

> I've noticed a pleasant increase in orders for K1, K2, KX1 radios and
> accessories recently from Europe. Much more so than I usually see
> during this time of year. I guess we must be doing something right, or
> we're getting a little help from somewhere..  :-)
>
> Can anyone tell me if there has been a recent article on Elecraft
> published in a European ham radio magazine that I may have
> missed that could account for this?
>
> Or is this more simply explained by the recent dip in the Dollar to
> Euro & Pound exchange rate, which has reduced the cost of U.S. items
> significantly to the UK and the rest of Europe?

Hi Eric,

I'm one of those. In fact I just rang up today from UK to order a
another K2 plus add-ons and also another XV144 transverter. An old
friend of mine will pick them up from you on Wednesday and bring them
over here at Christmas.

I'm not aware of a recent article about Elecraft in the European media.

I don't think it is the exchange rate either, because the £ to $ rate
has been very favourable to the UK for over a year now.

Quite simply, I think it is because news of the quality of Elecraft is
spreading over here. A month ago, I took delivery of a K2, XV144 and
XV50. I built the two transverters quite quickly and the both just
worked straight off. With the slugs the suggested number of turns in the
coils, signals were received even before full alignment. The quality of
the kits, the documentation and quality of components are superb. I
think more and more people are hearing, by word of mouth, how good the
products are.

I've completed the control and front panel boards for my first K2 and
will be moving on to the main board within the next few days. I've been
licenced since 1968 and built lots of kit, but the Elecraft products are
high up amongst the trouble free.

Even hope to modify an XV144 for the 70Mhz band soon.

Keep up the good work.

Ken.

--

Ken G3WCS <[hidden email]>
IO83rh : Cheshire : NW England

Re: Excellent exchange rate (or article?) helping Elecraft sales to Europe?

Philippe-35
Hi Erik,

> Or is this more simply explained by the recent dip in the Dollar to
> Euro & Pound exchange rate, which has reduced the cost of U.S. items
> significantly to the UK and the rest of Europe?

I will say the exchange rate for us is the main driver at the moment :-)
Also for your information, the last issue of the Ref-Union association
journal has an article about the KX1. In the same journal there was one
or two years ago a review about the K2. K1 has been reviewed by
Megahertz Magazine last year I guess.

Each review has been made by the builders themselves.

73 and good sales ;-),
Philippe
PS : a friend of mine has sold his 2 years old K2 only to have the
pleasure to build a new one and play with the solder iron :-)

Re: Excellent exchange rate (or article?) helping Elecraft sales to Europe?

David Pratt-3
In a recent message, "Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft"
<[hidden email]> said....
>Can anyone tell me if there has been a recent article on Elecraft
>published in a European ham radio magazine that I may have
>missed that could account for this?

We just put out good signals and tell everyone that we are using
Elecraft rigs, Eric. I have worked a few folks recently who have said
they are going to place an order.  The present exchange rate does help.

73 de David G4DMP

Re: Re: K2 @ SU9

Bill Steffey NY9H
While in Cairo ( NOT ILLINOIS)  ,,,I took my Pelicanized  K2 Batt/qrp over
to SU9FL..
Greg hooked it to his roof mounted Crankshaft R7 or  R8 ??  and proceeded
to work JA land on 40 meters... cw.... during the day /early evening... He
was impressed,,,as was I ,

It was phun to get on phone on 20 meters...
and now I know what a pileup REALLY SOUNDS LIKE FROM THE OTHER SIDE.
almost impossible to pick out anything.,..

now that I'm back in 9 land , there seems to be nothing to pick out......

bill

Re: Excellent exchange rate (or article?) helping Elecraftsales to Europe?

Tom Althoff
My theory?

Father Christmas needed to get his orders in before Dec 24th so the good G's
and F's could get their K2's built by Straight Key Night!

Cheers!

Tom K2TA

> > I've noticed a pleasant increase in orders for K1, K2, KX1 radios and
> > accessories recently from Europe. Much more so than I usually see
> > during this time of year. I guess we must be doing something right, or
> > we're getting a little help from somewhere..  :-)
> >
> > Can anyone tell me if there has been a recent article on Elecraft
> > published in a European ham radio magazine that I may have
> > missed that could account for this?
> >
> > Or is this more simply explained by the recent dip in the Dollar to
> > Euro & Pound exchange rate, which has reduced the cost of U.S. items
> > significantly to the UK and the rest of Europe?
>
> Hi Eric,
>
> I'm one of those. In fact I just rang up today from UK to order a
> another K2 plus add-ons and also another XV144 transverter. An old
> friend of mine will pick them up from you on Wednesday and bring them
> over here at Christmas.
>
> I'm not aware of a recent article about Elecraft in the European media.
>
> I don't think it is the exchange rate either, because the £ to $ rate
> has been very favourable to the UK for over a year now.
>
> Quite simply, I think it is because news of the quality of Elecraft is
> spreading over here. A month ago, I took delivery of a K2, XV144 and
> XV50. I built the two transverters quite quickly and the both just
> worked straight off. With the slugs the suggested number of turns in the
> coils, signals were received even before full alignment. The quality of
> the kits, the documentation and quality of components are superb. I
> think more and more people are hearing, by word of mouth, how good the
> products are.
>
> I've completed the control and front panel boards for my first K2 and
> will be moving on to the main board within the next few days. I've been
> licenced since 1968 and built lots of kit, but the Elecraft products are
> high up amongst the trouble free.
>
> Even hope to modify an XV144 for the 70Mhz band soon.
>
> Keep up the good work.
>

> Ken.
>
> --
>
> Ken G3WCS <[hidden email]>
> IO83rh : Cheshire : NW England
> (+44) (0)1606 892677 (home)
> (+44) (0)7968 161632 (mobile & sms)

Re: Excellent exchange rate (or article?) helping Elecraft sales to Europe?

Frank Nikolajsen

On Nov 22, 2004, at 19:19, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:

> I've noticed a pleasant increase in orders for K1, K2, KX1 radios and
> accessories recently from Europe. Much more so than I usually see
> during this time of year. I guess we must be doing something right, or
> we're getting a little help from somewhere..  :-)

   I wonder if the reason isn't a combination of all of the above, plus
you are perhaps getting closer to critical mass over here as well.

  The November issue of the Danish amateur rag, "OZ", has an article
about a mini dxpedition, 9M2/OZ7BQ, where a K1 was the core piece of
equipment. This didn't influence my personal decision to buy a K2
though. More or less in order this is what happened to me:

   *) While discussing my search for a new rig with both high
performance and lots of DIY potential, a local friend suggested the K2.
I have been eyeing the K2 from time to time, but had not really
considered it for a while.
   *) I mentioned the K2 in an email exchange I had at the time with
another US ham. A google search had brought his name up as someone who
had at least some degree of experience with the K2.
   *) It surfaced that the ham in question is a friend of the house of
Elecraft, and his arguments helped push me over the edge. (You know who
you are! :-)
   *) Realized that the asking price was a bit of a steal at the current
exchange rate.
   *) Plucked credit card from wallet.

   Are you all sitting comfortably? OK, then just for yucks let me
mention that the official Icom importer here in Denmark currently wants
the equivalent of 1285 USD for an IC-718, the least expensive Icom HF
transceiver. The larger rigs are proportionally priced.

   73 de Frank, OZ1IOC.
   K2 #4538 (inventory check completed, assembly to commence shortly).