Fan for XV144

M0XDF
I have purchased an XV144 to go with my K3 (will arrive when it does).
Having read some previous posts about FM and heat and installing a computer
fan on the main board, I wondered if anyone could give me some info on the
spec of the fan. I have a number of old 1GB SCSI drives in cases that I'm
going to dump (unless anyone in UK want to make me an offer :-) and some Sun
IPX/IPC stuff too (sorry, not meaning to use this forum as ebay), so
probably have a suitable fan if I knew the spec.

The alternative to that is to see in Elecraft will sell me the XV432 fan.
--
It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be
reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err.

Re: Fan for XV144

Dave, G4AON
"The alternative to that is to see in Elecraft will sell me the XV432 fan."

Re: Fan for XV144

zeke7237
I don't know that the XV432 fan is going to do you a lot of good. The
PCB on the '432 has holes cut in it to provide airflow through the
chassis while the others do not. Ultimately it's the bottom panel that
serves as the heatsink for the power amp module, so I'd think raising
it up and putting some airflow on that panel would be helpful.

de w1rt/john

On 9/14/07, David Ferrington, M0XDF <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have purchased an XV144 to go with my K3 (will arrive when it does).
> Having read some previous posts about FM and heat and installing a computer
> fan on the main board, I wondered if anyone could give me some info on the
> spec of the fan. I have a number of old 1GB SCSI drives in cases that I'm
> going to dump (unless anyone in UK want to make me an offer :-) and some Sun
> IPX/IPC stuff too (sorry, not meaning to use this forum as ebay), so
> probably have a suitable fan if I knew the spec.
>
> The alternative to that is to see in Elecraft will sell me the XV432 fan.

Re: Fan for XV144

Larry Molitor
David,

If it's anything like my XV222, it's going to take
more than just a little fan. If you are interested, I
will send you photos and such showing how I tamed both
the thermal and drift problems on my XV222.

73,

Larry - W7IUV
DN07dg - central WA
http://w7iuv.com

wrote:

> I have purchased an XV144 to go with my K3 (will
> arrive when it does).
> Having read some previous posts about FM and heat
> and installing a computer
> fan on the main board, I wondered if anyone could
> give me some info on the
> spec of the fan. I have a number of old 1GB SCSI
> drives in cases that I'm
> going to dump (unless anyone in UK want to make me
> an offer :-) and some Sun
> IPX/IPC stuff too (sorry, not meaning to use this
> forum as ebay), so
> probably have a suitable fan if I knew the spec.
>
> The alternative to that is to see in Elecraft will
> sell me the XV432 fan.
> --
> It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It
> is healthy to be
> reminded that the strongest might weaken and the
> wisest might err.
> -Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948)

Re: Fan for XV144

M0XDF
Right, thanks, I've ordered the 1.5" tilt bail, but thinking I may build a
box to go under the XV144 and force air through it.

On 14/9/07 18:03, "John D'Ausilio" <[hidden email]> sent:

> I don't know that the XV432 fan is going to do you a lot of good. The
> PCB on the '432 has holes cut in it to provide airflow through the
> chassis while the others do not. Ultimately it's the bottom panel that
> serves as the heatsink for the power amp module, so I'd think raising
> it up and putting some airflow on that panel would be helpful.
>
> de w1rt/john
>
> On 9/14/07, David Ferrington, M0XDF <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have purchased an XV144 to go with my K3 (will arrive when it does).
>> Having read some previous posts about FM and heat and installing a computer
>> fan on the main board, I wondered if anyone could give me some info on the
>> spec of the fan. I have a number of old 1GB SCSI drives in cases that I'm
>> going to dump (unless anyone in UK want to make me an offer :-) and some Sun
>> IPX/IPC stuff too (sorry, not meaning to use this forum as ebay), so
>> probably have a suitable fan if I knew the spec.
>>
>> The alternative to that is to see in Elecraft will sell me the XV432 fan.

--
Dear God, Did you mean for the giraffe to look like that or was it an
accident? -Norma [Children's Letters to God, 1991]