For Sale - KX1 with extras

geoff allsup
40-30-20 meter Elecraft KX1 with KXAT1 and KXB30 installed.

- Unbuilt KXB3080 30M/80M adapter included.

also included are the following:
- Whiterook MK-44 paddle&  cable
- Koss earbuds
- Dual binding post to BNC adapter
- Fiberglass hard case with foam

All for $425 including shipping CONUS.

geoff - W1OH

KX3 one at a time?

Burt
Why is the KX3 coming out it seems one at a time.
They are still only shipping second day orders
Are there bugs?
I ordered March 29, do I have hope of seeing mine before the World Series?
Burt

KX3 tuning knob friction

Phil Shepard
I got my KX3 kit (s/n 268) earlier this week.  I had a few day pause in
building it while I waited for a couple of missing parts to come from Aptos.
I finished it today.  It's a beautiful little rig.  The only thing that I
have noticed so far that I am not wild about is that the VFO A knob (main
tuning) is stiff.  Even with essentially no contact between the knob and
felt washer, the knob will not "free" spin.  It takes enough torque to
rotate it that there is even a tendency of the rig rocking a bit as the
finger dimple is turned.  It won't continue to rotate after my fingers come
off of the knob.  Is this normal, or do I have an encoder with "issues"?
Thank you.

73,
Phil, NS7P

Re: KX3 one at a time?

Burt,

I think your impression may be blurred.  The ship rate is increasing -
yes, it is "one at a time" from each of the kit and factory assembled
lines, and that is the way it is intended to be - full attention to
each, one at a time, but many in one day.  The rate is increasing.

The "problem" is just that there were a *LOT* of orders in those first
48 hours.  Not bugs.
Think about it, the shipped serial numbers are now in the 300+ range,
and they have not finished with the factory assembled orders through the
2nd day - there *had* to have been a *lot* of orders in those first
several hours.

On 6/9/2012 7:09 PM, Burt wrote:
> Why is the KX3 coming out it seems one at a time.
> They are still only shipping second day orders
> Are there bugs?
> I ordered March 29, do I have hope of seeing mine before the World Series?
> Burt

Re: KX3 tuning knob friction

Phil,

Going back to the K2 days, a fully free-spinning VFO knob is not
desirable, if the knob is bumped in any way (or even drumming fingers on
the table), the frequency can change.
I can't say that the KX3 is exactly the same as the K2, but if you hold
the KX3 so the encoder shaft is vertical and drop the knob onto the
shaft by its own weight, then tighten the setscrews, the tension will be
correct.  You can vary from that based on your preferences, but that is
as good a starting point as I can offer.

Yes, I agree about the finger dimple - I do not find it usable (but part
of that is "just me" - I just hold my tuning finger on the edge of the knob.

On 6/9/2012 7:36 PM, Phillip Shepard wrote:

> I got my KX3 kit (s/n 268) earlier this week.  I had a few day pause in
> building it while I waited for a couple of missing parts to come from Aptos.
> I finished it today.  It's a beautiful little rig.  The only thing that I
> have noticed so far that I am not wild about is that the VFO A knob (main
> tuning) is stiff.  Even with essentially no contact between the knob and
> felt washer, the knob will not "free" spin.  It takes enough torque to
> rotate it that there is even a tendency of the rig rocking a bit as the
> finger dimple is turned.  It won't continue to rotate after my fingers come
> off of the knob.  Is this normal, or do I have an encoder with "issues"?
> Thank you.
>
> 73,
> Phil, NS7P

Re: KX3 tuning knob friction

Joseph Trombino, Jr
My take on this is that there will be probably more home/portable users of the KX3 than those using it mobile in a car...in any event why not make the degree of friction adjustable by the user?

I hate to have to grind away trying to turn a main tuning knob when operating...my K2 knob is adjustable along with the K3...is this friction a function of the optical encoder used???

Hope this minor problem can be fixed.

                                                73, Joe W2KJ
                                                I QRP, therefore I am

Re: KX3 tuning knob friction

Don Wilhelm-4
Joe,

There is no "grinding" involved, just use the allen wrench supplied to
loosen the VFO knob setscrews and adjust for more or less drag between
the knob and the felt washer.  The optical encoder is quite
"free-spinning", and if there is not enough friction, unexpected
frequency changes can occur while with too much friction, tuning becomes
cumbersome.  The balance point in the middle is an individual decision,
but I believe a totally free-wheeling encoder shaft will give you
problem with unexpected frequency changes.

In other words, put a bit of drag on it, but just how much is an
individual decision - now that you know the pros and cons, accept the
consequences of your decision point.

This is *not* a problem to be fixed, it is an individual decision about
how much drag should be on the VFO knob - as I have said, that is an
individual decision.  Use your best judgement.

On 6/9/2012 8:56 PM, Joseph Trombino, Jr wrote:
> My take on this is that there will be probably more home/portable users of the KX3 than those using it mobile in a car...in any event why not make the degree of friction adjustable by the user?
>
> I hate to have to grind away trying to turn a main tuning knob when operating...my K2 knob is adjustable along with the K3...is this friction a function of the optical encoder used???

Re: KX3 tuning knob friction

Joseph Trombino, Jr

Many thanks for the info Don...makes my mind rest easy (grin)...I do like the free spinning tuning on my K2 and K3.

I should know from past experience that Elecraft wouldn't field a rig that wasn't just superb.

I don't have a KX3 yet...ordered a kit on 18 Feb and still waiting (sigh).

And so the wait goes on...can't believe they are still shipping based on orders received circa 28 Dec.....hope the backlog diminishes rapidly...I'd like to be able to take my KX3 to the park before the weather turns cold (grin).

                                73, Joe W2KJ
                                I QRP, therefore I am

> Joe,
>
> There is no "grinding" involved, just use the allen wrench supplied to loosen the VFO knob setscrews and adjust for more or less drag between the knob and the felt washer.  The optical encoder is quite "free-spinning", and if there is not enough friction, unexpected frequency changes can occur while with too much friction, tuning becomes cumbersome.  The balance point in the middle is an individual decision, but I believe a totally free-wheeling encoder shaft will give you problem with unexpected frequency changes.
>
> In other words, put a bit of drag on it, but just how much is an individual decision - now that you know the pros and cons, accept the consequences of your decision point.
>
> This is *not* a problem to be fixed, it is an individual decision about how much drag should be on the VFO knob - as I have said, that is an individual decision.  Use your best judgement.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 6/9/2012 8:56 PM, Joseph Trombino, Jr wrote:
>> My take on this is that there will be probably more home/portable users of the KX3 than those using it mobile in a car...in any event why not make the degree of friction adjustable by the user?
>>
>> I hate to have to grind away trying to turn a main tuning knob when operating...my K2 knob is adjustable along with the K3...is this friction a function of the optical encoder used???

Re: KX3 tuning knob friction

Phil Shepard
I'm OK with it, but my encoder shaft does not appear to be free spinning.
Keeping the knob away from the felt washer still shows drag.  I'll give it
some time.  Probably OK as it is.

73,
Phil, NS7P

There is no "grinding" involved, just use the allen wrench supplied to
loosen the VFO knob setscrews and adjust for more or less drag between
the knob and the felt washer.  The optical encoder is quite
"free-spinning", and if there is not enough friction, unexpected
frequency changes can occur while with too much friction, tuning becomes
cumbersome.  The balance point in the middle is an individual decision,
but I believe a totally free-wheeling encoder shaft will give you
problem with unexpected frequency changes.

In other words, put a bit of drag on it, but just how much is an
individual decision - now that you know the pros and cons, accept the
consequences of your decision point.

This is *not* a problem to be fixed, it is an individual decision about
how much drag should be on the VFO knob - as I have said, that is an
individual decision.  Use your best judgement.

On 6/9/2012 8:56 PM, Joseph Trombino, Jr wrote:
> My take on this is that there will be probably more home/portable users of
the KX3 than those using it mobile in a car...in any event why not make the
degree of friction adjustable by the user?

> I hate to have to grind away trying to turn a main tuning knob when
operating...my K2 knob is adjustable along with the K3...is this friction a
function of the optical encoder used???

Re: KX3 tuning knob friction

Joe,

The shipping estimates for orders placed *today* is 90 to 120 days, so
if you ordered earlier than yesterday, your KX3 should arrive between
Aug 09, 2012 and Sept 09, 2012.  I suspect your order date is before
yesterday, so your shipment should be prior to that time range.  It will
not be cold here in North Carolina on those dates!

/I know there is a lot of frustration about shipping dates, but if one
looks at the serial numbers shipped and the order dates (hours), it is
apparent that there were a *lot* of orders placed in the first 24
hours.  I recall Madelyn commenting that there was "paper, paper
everywhere", so the office staff was struggling to keep up with the
orders.  I have no inside information about the actual number of orders
in the first 24 hours, but there have been over 300 KX3s shipped and
they have not yet fulfilled the first 48 hours of KX3 orders - that says
something about the number of initial orders that were placed.

When the "initial order assault" tapers off to the end of the first week
(or beginning of the 2nd week) of ordering, I think you will see some
return to normalcy, but the first few days of KX3 ordering was "wild",
so wait a bit more for things to settle down and soon (OK in 120 days or
more), they will be shipping KX3s "off the shelf" /

On 6/9/2012 10:38 PM, Joseph Trombino, Jr wrote:

> Many thanks for the info Don...makes my mind rest easy (grin)...I do like the free spinning tuning on my K2 and K3.
>
> I should know from past experience that Elecraft wouldn't field a rig that wasn't just superb.
>
> I don't have a KX3 yet...ordered a kit on 18 Feb and still waiting (sigh).
>
> And so the wait goes on...can't believe they are still shipping based on orders received circa 28 Dec.....hope the backlog diminishes rapidly...I'd like to be able to take my KX3 to the park before the weather turns cold (grin).
>
> 73, Joe W2KJ
> I QRP, therefore I am
>
>> Joe,
>>
>> There is no "grinding" involved, just use the allen wrench supplied to loosen the VFO knob setscrews and adjust for more or less drag between the knob and the felt washer.  The optical encoder is quite "free-spinning", and if there is not enough friction, unexpected frequency changes can occur while with too much friction, tuning becomes cumbersome.  The balance point in the middle is an individual decision, but I believe a totally free-wheeling encoder shaft will give you problem with unexpected frequency changes.
>>
>> In other words, put a bit of drag on it, but just how much is an individual decision - now that you know the pros and cons, accept the consequences of your decision point.
>>
>> This is *not* a problem to be fixed, it is an individual decision about how much drag should be on the VFO knob - as I have said, that is an individual decision.  Use your best judgement.
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR
>>
>> On 6/9/2012 8:56 PM, Joseph Trombino, Jr wrote:
>>> My take on this is that there will be probably more home/portable users of the KX3 than those using it mobile in a car...in any event why not make the degree of friction adjustable by the user?
>>>
>>> I hate to have to grind away trying to turn a main tuning knob when operating...my K2 knob is adjustable along with the K3...is this friction a function of the optical encoder used???

Re: KX3 tuning knob friction

Phil Shepard
Just as a reference point, my order confirmation for a kit was 44 minutes
after the opening email announcement.  I got my kit on Tuesday (6/5/12).
Shipped 6/1/12).  Then three more days to get all of the needed parts.
Worth the wait, however!  It will probably be on a SOTA summit this coming
week!

73,
Phil, NS7P

> [...]

changes.

>> In other words, put a bit of drag on it, but just how much is an
individual decision - now that you know the pros and cons, accept the
consequences of your decision point.

>> This is *not* a problem to be fixed, it is an individual decision about
how much drag should be on the VFO knob - as I have said, that is an
individual decision.  Use your best judgement.

>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR
>>
>> On 6/9/2012 8:56 PM, Joseph Trombino, Jr wrote:
>>> My take on this is that there will be probably more home/portable users
of the KX3 than those using it mobile in a car...in any event why not make
the degree of friction adjustable by the user?

>>> I hate to have to grind away trying to turn a main tuning knob when
operating...my K2 knob is adjustable along with the K3...is this friction a

Matt Zilmer
The K3's VFO encoder shaft has bearings that allow it to freewheel.
The KX3's doesn't have these.  I doubt this will change.

With a portable transceiver, it's better if the VFO stays where it's
put.  This attribute also assists in mobile ops with a lot more lumps
and bumps to the VFO.

73,
matt W6NIA
KX3 #6 FT

On Sat, 09 Jun 2012 19:59:02 -0700, you wrote:

>I'm OK with it, but my encoder shaft does not appear to be free spinning.
>Keeping the knob away from the felt washer still shows drag.  I'll give it
>some time.  Probably OK as it is.
>
>73,
>Phil, NS7P

Re: KX3 one at a time?