For those at Dayton (KAT500)

Fred Bennett  N9TA-2
  The price as I was just informed when I ordered via phone was $699
assembled....I don't remember the un-assembled price but I think it was in
the low $600s. A bit steep for a tuner...but I'm betting it'll be worth it!!

73...de...Fred  N9TA

Re: For those at Dayton (KAT500)

Rob May-2

With a street price of $300 for the MFJ-994B and $330 for the LDG AT600 Pro, that's a pretty steep premium to keep the station all Elecraft.
Rob
NV5E

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 16:00:43 -0400
> Subject: [Elecraft] For those at Dayton (KAT500)
>
> The price as I was just informed when I ordered via phone was $699
> assembled....I don't remember the un-assembled price but I think it was in
> the low $600s. A bit steep for a tuner...but I'm betting it'll be worth it!!
>

> 73...de...Fred N9TA

Re: For those at Dayton (KAT500)

Rick Johnson-2
The AT-1000ProII is $539 at HRO....pretty close and I bet the KAT500 will be
very comparable.
My order was #3 btw...

73,
Rick W3BI

With a street price of $300 for the MFJ-994B and $330 for the LDG AT600 Pro,
that's a pretty steep premium to keep the station all Elecraft.
Rob
NV5E

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 16:00:43 -0400
> Subject: [Elecraft] For those at Dayton (KAT500)
>
> The price as I was just informed when I ordered via phone was $699
> assembled....I don't remember the un-assembled price but I think it was in
> the low $600s. A bit steep for a tuner...but I'm betting it'll be worth
> it!!
>

> 73...de...Fred N9TA

Re: For those at Dayton (KAT500)

w0mu
I agree the price is a bit higher than I would have liked to have seen.
I am sure it will work far better than the MFJ and I don't think either
will handle the full output on 6m which the KAT500 will do or so I was
told.  I smoked my LDG the other day on 6m because I forgot they are
only rated for half power on 6m.

Mike W0MU

W0MU-1 CC Cluster w0mu.net:23 or w0mu-1.dnsdynamic.com
Http://www.w0mu.com

On 5/18/2012 2:17 PM, Rob May wrote:

> With a street price of $300 for the MFJ-994B and $330 for the LDG AT600 Pro, that's a pretty steep premium to keep the station all Elecraft.
> Rob
> NV5E

>> From: [hidden email]
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 16:00:43 -0400
>> Subject: [Elecraft] For those at Dayton (KAT500)
>>
>> The price as I was just informed when I ordered via phone was $699
>> assembled....I don't remember the un-assembled price but I think it was in
>> the low $600s. A bit steep for a tuner...but I'm betting it'll be worth it!!
>>

>> 73...de...Fred N9TA

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: For those "NOT" at Dayton (KAT500)

John KLim
Hi All

I just ordered my KAT-500 over the phone [(831) 763-4211], Price is 699.99
assembled plus shipping.

I hope everyone enjoys their new toys purchased at Dayton.

73 ES CUL  DE  N3KHK
John R. Klim II
ARRL LM, AMSAT LM
10-10:  68135
30MDG:  1820
QSL:  LoTW, Bureau, Direct, eQSL as a courtesy

<SNIP...>

Re: For those at Dayton (KAT500)

WB4SON
I've never owned a MFJ tuner capable of handling its "rated" power for
anything over a 1.5 SWR (and then you get into arguments about PEP vs CW vs
Continuous Carrier).  They all burn out with even a slight mismatch.  Since
I'm not trying to tune a dummy load, I'll go with something that can handle
500 watts full carrier into a bad mismatch.  That's the reason I bought a
manual Palstar tuner for use with my KPA500 -- and it has served me well,
but is a manual tuner.

I have faith that Elecraft will meet the performance criteria.  I have zero
faith, based on long bitter experience, that MFJ can.

73, Bob, WB4SON

73, Bob, WB4SON

Re: For those at Dayton (KAT500)

Dave Agsten
The LDG AT-1000ProII is on a "Dayton" sale at Gigaparts for $459 with free shipping through Monday, the 21st. (Must be ordered on-line) I just posted this since there were $539 prices being mentioned on the reflector.

The KAT500 at $699 is quite a bit higher. Also, shipping to the East Cost via Priority Mail adds another $27 to the total. ( A difference of $267 for me - That's a considerable difference for me)

I have not seen the official specifications for the KAT500 so it's difficult to compare. are any specs available somewhere? The 6 meter power handling spec was mentioned but I can't understand exactly why you would even use a tuner on a 6 meter beam if it were properly adjusted. Does the KAT500 have an antenna switch with separate memories for each?

I also see a few reviews of the AT-600 being used with the KPA500 without issue. That one is $140 less than the AT-1000ProII.

73,
Dave N8AG

Re: For those at Dayton (KAT500)

N5GE-2

Below...

On Sat, 19 May 2012 10:06:46 -0700 (PDT), Dave Agsten <[hidden email]> wrote:

>The LDG AT-1000ProII is on a "Dayton" sale at Gigaparts for $459 with free shipping through Monday, the 21st. (Must be ordered on-line) I just posted this since there were $539 prices being mentioned on the reflector.
>
>The KAT500 at $699 is quite a bit higher. Also, shipping to the East Cost via Priority Mail adds another $27 to the total. ( A difference of $267 for me - That's a considerable difference for me)

You might consider the size of the KAT500 before you consider another Auto
tuner.  The KAT500 has the same footprint as the K3 and KPA500 and the height is
less that 2 inches tall which will allow it to sit on top of either one.  I will
handle 10:1 SWR at 500 - 600 watts and 1200 to 1500 watts at 3:1 SWR.  It has
THREE antenna outputs that are selected on the front panel.

>I have not seen the official specifications for the KAT500 so it's difficult to compare. are any specs available somewhere? The 6 meter power handling spec was mentioned but I can't understand exactly why you would even use a tuner on a 6 meter beam if it were properly adjusted. Does the KAT500 have an antenna switch with separate memories for each?

There are some specs at  http://www.elecraft.com/news.htm

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
ARRL Lifetime Member
QCWA Lifetime Member
[snip]

Re: For those at Dayton (KAT500)

Rick WA6NHC
And it will be fully integrated into the 'K line', which means fewer
'buttons' to press, easier operations.

Rick wa6nhc  (yes my order is in too)

wrote:

>The LDG AT-1000ProII is on a "Dayton" sale at Gigaparts for $459 with free
shipping through Monday, the 21st. (Must be ordered on-line) I just posted
this since there were $539 prices being mentioned on the reflector.

>The KAT500 at $699 is quite a bit higher. Also, shipping to the East Cost
via Priority Mail adds another $27 to the total. ( A difference of $267 for
me - That's a considerable difference for me)

You might consider the size of the KAT500 before you consider another Auto
tuner.  The KAT500 has the same footprint as the K3 and KPA500 and the
height is
less that 2 inches tall which will allow it to sit on top of either one.  I
will
handle 10:1 SWR at 500 - 600 watts and 1200 to 1500 watts at 3:1 SWR.  It
has
THREE antenna outputs that are selected on the front panel.

>I have not seen the official specifications for the KAT500 so it's
difficult to compare. are any specs available somewhere? The 6 meter power
handling spec was mentioned but I can't understand exactly why you would
even use a tuner on a 6 meter beam if it were properly adjusted. Does the
KAT500 have an antenna switch with separate memories for each?

There are some specs at  http://www.elecraft.com/news.htm

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
ARRL Lifetime Member
QCWA Lifetime Member
[snip]

Re: For those at Dayton (KAT500)

Vic Rosenthal
I would expect that this would depend not only on the SWR, but on the nature of the
impedance it sees. Unless someone from Elecraft told you this, I wouldn't risk running
1500 watts at 3:1 SWR (if Elecraft DID tell you this, then I'm ordering one)!

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA

Re: For those at Dayton (KAT500)

Vic Rosenthal
Oops, wrong again! I see that they make the claim that it will handle 1200-1500 watts on
the website. But I suspect you have to be very careful!

On 5/19/2012 1:32 PM, Vic K2VCO wrote:

> I would expect that this would depend not only on the SWR, but on the nature of the
> impedance it sees. Unless someone from Elecraft told you this, I wouldn't risk running
> 1500 watts at 3:1 SWR (if Elecraft DID tell you this, then I'm ordering one)!
>
> On 5/19/2012 11:41 AM, N5GE wrote:
>> I will
>> handle 10:1 SWR at 500 - 600 watts and 1200 to 1500 watts at 3:1 SWR.
>

> --
> Vic, K2VCO
> Fresno CA
> http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/

Re: For those at Dayton (KAT500)

Pete Smith N4ZR
You bet, Vic.  Just read the reviews of antenna tuners in QST, with
careful attention to the amount of power absorbed in the tuner at some
load impedance/reactance combinations, and imagine 600 watts being
dissipated inside a 500-watt tuner.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000

On 5/19/2012 4:39 PM, Vic K2VCO wrote:

> Oops, wrong again! I see that they make the claim that it will handle 1200-1500 watts on
> the website. But I suspect you have to be very careful!
>
> On 5/19/2012 1:32 PM, Vic K2VCO wrote:
>> I would expect that this would depend not only on the SWR, but on the nature of the
>> impedance it sees. Unless someone from Elecraft told you this, I wouldn't risk running
>> 1500 watts at 3:1 SWR (if Elecraft DID tell you this, then I'm ordering one)!
>>
>> On 5/19/2012 11:41 AM, N5GE wrote:
>>> I will
>>> handle 10:1 SWR at 500 - 600 watts and 1200 to 1500 watts at 3:1 SWR.
>>
>> --
>> Vic, K2VCO
>> Fresno CA
>> http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/

Re: For those at Dayton (KAT500)

Ian Kahn, KM4IK
I plan to order my KAT500 as soon as I find new employment.  It will
replace the old MFJ-962D I'm using currently.

--Ian

Ian Kahn, KM4IK
Roswell, GA  EM74ua
[hidden email]
K3 #281, P3 #688
HRD v5.x/6.0 Test Team

On 5/19/2012 4:53 PM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:

> You bet, Vic.  Just read the reviews of antenna tuners in QST, with
> careful attention to the amount of power absorbed in the tuner at some
> load impedance/reactance combinations, and imagine 600 watts being
> dissipated inside a 500-watt tuner.
>
> 73, Pete N4ZR
> The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com,
> spots at telnet.reversebeacon.net, port 7000 and
> arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000
>

> On 5/19/2012 4:39 PM, Vic K2VCO wrote:
>> Oops, wrong again! I see that they make the claim that it will handle 1200-1500 watts on
>> the website. But I suspect you have to be very careful!
>>
>> On 5/19/2012 1:32 PM, Vic K2VCO wrote:
>>> I would expect that this would depend not only on the SWR, but on the nature of the
>>> impedance it sees. Unless someone from Elecraft told you this, I wouldn't risk running
>>> 1500 watts at 3:1 SWR (if Elecraft DID tell you this, then I'm ordering one)!

>>> --
>>> Vic, K2VCO
>>> Fresno CA
>>> http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: For those at Dayton (KAT500)

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

On 5/19/2012 4:53 PM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
 > Just read the reviews of antenna tuners in QST, with
> careful attention to the amount of power absorbed in the tuner at
> some load impedance/reactance combinations, and imagine 600 watts
> being dissipated inside a 500-watt tuner.

Understand that most of the tuners evaluates in QST were "T" section
tuners.  The high pass "T" network can become pathological with some
values - particularly if the series capacitors have excessive Xc
(are too small).  The KAT-500 is an L-network tuner which generally
has much lower currents, thus less loss and less heating.

In spite of its modest height, the KAT-500 has some truly massive
inductors for a tuner rates at 600 Watts.  I'm not concerned that the
claim of 3:1 or somewhat higher for 1000 Watts is excessive and will
be seriously considering the KAT-500 as a "line flattener" if/when I
put the Quadras back on-line.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 5/19/2012 4:53 PM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:

> You bet, Vic.  Just read the reviews of antenna tuners in QST, with
> careful attention to the amount of power absorbed in the tuner at some
> load impedance/reactance combinations, and imagine 600 watts being
> dissipated inside a 500-watt tuner.
>
> 73, Pete N4ZR
> The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com,
> spots at telnet.reversebeacon.net, port 7000 and
> arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000
>

> On 5/19/2012 4:39 PM, Vic K2VCO wrote:
>> Oops, wrong again! I see that they make the claim that it will handle 1200-1500 watts on
>> the website. But I suspect you have to be very careful!
>>
>> On 5/19/2012 1:32 PM, Vic K2VCO wrote:
>>> I would expect that this would depend not only on the SWR, but on the nature of the
>>> impedance it sees. Unless someone from Elecraft told you this, I wouldn't risk running
>>> 1500 watts at 3:1 SWR (if Elecraft DID tell you this, then I'm ordering one)!

>>> --
>>> Vic, K2VCO
>>> Fresno CA
>>> http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: For those at Dayton (KAT500)

Jim Brown-10
On 5/18/2012 1:00 PM, Fred Bennett N9TA wrote:
> The price as I was just informed when I ordered via phone was $699
> assembled....I don't remember the un-assembled price but I think it was in
> the low $600s. A bit steep for a tuner...but I'm betting it'll be worth it!!

You've GOT to be kidding. It's a bargain at this price.  That's the cost
of the Ten Tec MANUAL tuner!  I ordered three.

73, Jim K9YC

Re: For those at Dayton (KAT500)

Gary Gregory
*Jim,

In VK you will pay that for a pretty dumb LDG auto-tuner with a single
antenna connection and more for a manual Palstar.

Given the almost equal exchange rate the KAT-500 not only represents value
for money (not a phrase I would use in a sentence with MFJ in it) it offers
great versatility and quality built right into it.

I don't see any quality competition out there.

Just my two cents worth, keep the change!

Gary
*
On 21 May 2012 10:07, Jim Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5/18/2012 1:00 PM, Fred Bennett N9TA wrote:
> > The price as I was just informed when I ordered via phone was $699
> > assembled....I don't remember the un-assembled price but I think it was
> in
> > the low $600s. A bit steep for a tuner...but I'm betting it'll be worth
> it!!
>
> You've GOT to be kidding. It's a bargain at this price.  That's the cost
> of the Ten Tec MANUAL tuner!  I ordered three.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Gary
VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment
K3 #679, KPA-500 #018
Living the dream!!!

Re: For those at Dayton (KAT500)

Jim Brown-10

> The LDG AT-1000ProII is on a "Dayton" sale at Gigaparts for $459 with free shipping through Monday, the 21st. (Must be ordered on-line) I just posted this since there were $539 prices being mentioned on the reflector.

I briefly owned an AT-1000. I hated it, and sold it at a loss.  LDG was
VERY unresponsive in addressing issues when I sent a virtually new
product in for service.  Most of us here know what Elecraft's service is
like.

It should be noted that the Elecraft tuner has THREE switched outputs,
each of which remembers by band the settings for what was last
connected.  An early product description suggested that the tuner might
be usable for SWRs below 3:1 at up to 1 or 1.2 kW.

As to the comparison (by others) with products like MFJ (Mighty Fine
Junk) -- you gotta be kidding.  This is not "just a tuner," it is an
ELECRAFT tuner.

73, Jim K9YC