Future KX1 owner

Mike M-4
I am hoping to join the ranks of KX-1 builders/owners next month - I
convinced my wife that the KX-1 would be a nice birthday present!

I wrote to Elecraft and found out that all of the optional components
can be added later (future birthday presents) but I read a blog that
discussed the pain of installing the 80/30m kit after the radio was
built.  The author suggested it would be easier to install it during
the initial build.  Any thoughts about this?

Thanks.

73,
Mike, KL7MJ

Re: Future KX1 owner

Dick Dievendorff
Well, it always takes less overall time to build with all options in one
session. You don't have to perform unnecessary intermediate steps (like
opening the box, at a minimum).

It depends on whether your goal is to as quickly as possible get to the
ultimate radio you intend to finish with, or if you savor the building
process itself.  I tend to enjoy building the basic unit, use it a while,
then have another little build session where I'll add something else, like
an ATU, or a 80/30 meter kit.

I added an 80 meter kit before there was an 80/30, and it required that I
pull the board out of the case so that I could get to both sides of the
board. But I didn't find that task particularly difficult or time-consuming.

Dick, K6KR

Re: Future KX1 owner

Mike,

Unless you are an expert builder, capable of combining the instruction
steps in both manuals, and expert at troubleshooting in case something
goes wrong, do not try to incorporate the KXB3080 in the initial build.
You lose the ability to do testing mid-way through the build and the
KXB3080 board covers up a fair amount of the component side of the board
which makes signal tracing much more difficult for someone not
intimately familiar with the KX1.

HOWEVER - there are pieces of the KXB3080 that can be installed during
the initial build so you do not have to remove any more than 2 toroids.
At one time, I created a "cheat-sheet" telling a couple of builders how
to do it - I can try to find that email if you would like to try.  I
would only recommend doing that to an expert and confident builder.
OTOH, an expert and confident builder would have no problem removing
components from the PC board without damaging the board or burning the
relay cases either.

The KXB3080 is difficult to install because of the small space available
in the KX1, and the instructions must be followed exactly, particularly
the LPF board - if not done exactly like the instructions, it will
interfere with the tuner.

Mike M wrote:

> I am hoping to join the ranks of KX-1 builders/owners next month - I
> convinced my wife that the KX-1 would be a nice birthday present!
>
> I wrote to Elecraft and found out that all of the optional components
> can be added later (future birthday presents) but I read a blog that
> discussed the pain of installing the 80/30m kit after the radio was
> built.  The author suggested it would be easier to install it during
> the initial build.  Any thoughts about this?

Re: Future KX1 owner

Mike M-4
Dick and Don -

Thanks for your input.  I think I will start with the basic KX-1, and
look for the 80/30 module as a Christmas present!

73,
Mike, KL7MJ