Getting BCD Band Data from the K3/KPA500 when they are connected.

Getting BCD Band Data from the K3/KPA500 when they are connected.

Peter Chamalian
Has anyone with a K3 and KPA500 interfaced the pair with a microHAM station
master or other device that uses the band data to control other equipment
such as antenna switches?

If the K3 and KPA are connected together with the AUX cable, how can one
connect the Station Master or other equipment that can benefit from the band
data?  Is it as simple as using a Y connector or is there more to it?

Pete, W1RM

Re: Getting BCD Band Data from the K3/KPA500 when they are connected.

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

> If the K3 and KPA are connected together with the AUX cable, how can
> one connect the Station Master or other equipment that can benefit
> from  the band data?

microHAM Station Master *DOES NOT* use the BCD data (AUX) connector
of the K3.  Station Master gets its band information from the actual
operating frequency - either directly from the RS-232 interface or
from microKEYER II or MK2R/MK2R+ via the microHAM iLINK protocol.

If one is connecting KPA-500 to the K3 - Station Master has no part
in the matter.  If one is already using microKEYER II or MK2R/MK2R+
connected to the AUX port for PTT and FSK, one will need to get the
Elecraft cable set (or p/n 10H1-27708 from Cables Wholesale).  The
Y adapter is needed only to provide access to the FSK and PTT line.

As to other hardware, that question needs to be asked of the other
manufacturers.  In at least one case, the third party device is not
compatible with the KPA-500 and can not share BCD data with the
KPA-500.

73,

    ... Joe Subich, W4TV
        microHAM America, LLC.
        http://www.microHAM-USA.com

On 6/25/2011 4:57 PM, Peter Chamalian wrote:

> Has anyone with a K3 and KPA500 interfaced the pair with a microHAM station
> master or other device that uses the band data to control other equipment
> such as antenna switches?
>
> If the K3 and KPA are connected together with the AUX cable, how can one
> connect the Station Master or other equipment that can benefit from the band
> data?  Is it as simple as using a Y connector or is there more to it?
>

> Pete, W1RM

Re: Getting BCD Band Data from the K3/KPA500 when they areconnected.

Andy Faber
Pete,
  A simple Y cable works fine for connecting my TopTen Band Decoder box and
KPA500 to the AUX connector on the K3.
  73, andy ae6y

> Has anyone with a K3 and KPA500 interfaced the pair with a microHAM
> station
> master or other device that uses the band data to control other equipment
> such as antenna switches?
>
> If the K3 and KPA are connected together with the AUX cable, how can one
> connect the Station Master or other equipment that can benefit from the
> band
> data?  Is it as simple as using a Y connector or is there more to it?
>

> Pete, W1RM

Re: Getting BCD Band Data from the K3/KPA500 when they areconnected.

Ed Muns, W0YK
Yes, it is as simple as using a Y-adapter ... and, yes, there is more to it.
;>)

Most Y-adapters only connect some of the pins and ground several others for
VGA applications, rendering them unusable for our purpose.   However, it is
possible to find Y-adapters that are whole.  There was a thread here several
months ago about which ones are good.  The ones that I have are marketed by
Philco.

The Y-adapter that comes with the KPAK3AUX cable, of course, is whole and
works well.

Ed - W0YK

Pete, W1RM, asked:
> If the K3 and KPA are connected together with the AUX cable,
> how can one connect the Station Master or other equipment
> that can benefit from the band data?  Is it as simple as
> using a Y connector or is there more to it?

Re: Getting BCD Band Data from the K3/KPA500 when they areconnected.

Peter Chamalian
That's what I wanted to hear Ed, thanks!  Turns out I don't need the BCD
data, only FSK and PTT both of which are on pins that are not connected in
the KPA500.

Pete, W1RM