Giving Up

Re: Giving Up

Jim Brown-10
On 6/8/2021 12:49 PM, George Thornton wrote:
> I think it is correct to say the basic k4 does not exceed the K3 raw performance (based on the Sherwood engineering standard)

Paraphrasing the late Dick Heyser, trying to define a product on the
basis of a single parameter is like trying to write Shakespeare with one
word in your vocabulary.

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Giving Up

Dave Erickson
On 6/8/2021 12:25 PM, KENT TRIMBLE wrote:

> Not so, Doug.
>
> My K3, including accessories and filters, was $4,500 in 2007. That's
> $5,722 in today's dollars.
>
> A K4 with all its advanced technology at $4,600 (your quote) is a steal
> compared to a K3.
>
> The word "expensive" can be applied to the K4 (or any product) only when
> answering the question, "compared to what?"  Otherwise it has no
> meaning.  Nothing is expensive or inexpensive on its own.  The word has
> relevance only when comparing the price of two or more products.
>
> 73,
>
> Kent  K9ZTV
>

> On 6/7/2021 9:33 PM, Doug Person, KØDXV, wrote:
>> ... With a tuner the [K4] price is $4600 making it one of the most
>> expensive transceivers on the market ... When the K3 came out it was
>> very competitively priced. I'm not sure I would describe the K4 with
>> the same words. It is unquestionably an expensive radio.
> .

All,

I followed along this thread and I think it's not useful to compare the
K4 to the K3. The K3 to the K2 makes sense, even a KX3 to a K3 as they
are more similar.

I think the only radio on the market right now that can be compared to
the K4 is the 7610 from ICOM. And frankly, it's not so good for the K4.

A little over a year ago, I was in the market for a high end transceiver
and basically decided between waiting for a K4 or buy a 7610. I bought
the Icom. While I am sure the K4 is a better radio in some ways, the
question is: is it twice as good? (Add tuner, second ADC, etc.)

Looking at the specs, I am shocked the K4 is shipping with only one ADC.
At the price point and with the 7610 on the market for $2900 all day
long it's a serious flaw for me.

The K4 also has no pre-selector that I can tell and that is useful too
me at times, especially on the low bands.

IMO the competition for the K4 is the 7610 as they are architecturally
very similar.

Maybe an Apache ANON 7000 DLE would be in there as well but the Icom
beats that too IMO. (Since it has buttons, and a tuner, and pin-diode
QSK etc)

That said, I have since bought a K3 to go with the 7610 and will likely
get a K4 and an ANON in the future so I am as hopeless as the rest.

73's all.

--
Dave Erickson
AB0R

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Giving Up

Barry Simpson
Well said Dave

I am a rig tragic like you and many others.

I have always got to buy and try all the newest rigs and then move them on
if I am not that smitten.

My current rigs/keepers are a K3 (2008 vintage), TS890, Omni 6+, Orion 2
(three of those !), SunSDR2DX.

Been and gone rigs include the IC7851, IC7610, TS990 (only because it got
too heavy for me so I got the TS890), MB1, Flex 6600M and a number of
others.

I have not yet succumbed to the FTDX101 or the FTDX10 but may give one or
the other a try. However, one of my main requirements is good quiet QSK so
I am not sure that the Yaesu is suitable and the bandscope strikes me as
horrible.

I too have had a no deposit K4D on order for about two years. I intend to
just let the order sit there and see if anything eventually happens and if
it does I expect I will buy it !!

Barry  VK2BJ

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 at 13:28, Dave Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6/8/2021 12:25 PM, KENT TRIMBLE wrote:
> > Not so, Doug.
> >
> > My K3, including accessories and filters, was $4,500 in 2007. That's
> > $5,722 in today's dollars.
> >
> > A K4 with all its advanced technology at $4,600 (your quote) is a steal
> > compared to a K3.
> >
> > The word "expensive" can be applied to the K4 (or any product) only when
> > answering the question, "compared to what?"  Otherwise it has no
> > meaning.  Nothing is expensive or inexpensive on its own.  The word has
> > relevance only when comparing the price of two or more products.
> >
> > 73,
> >
> > Kent  K9ZTV
> >

> > On 6/7/2021 9:33 PM, Doug Person, KØDXV, wrote:
> >> ... With a tuner the [K4] price is $4600 making it one of the most
> >> expensive transceivers on the market ... When the K3 came out it was
> >> very competitively priced. I'm not sure I would describe the K4 with
> >> the same words. It is unquestionably an expensive radio.
> > .
>
> All,
>
> I followed along this thread and I think it's not useful to compare the
> K4 to the K3. The K3 to the K2 makes sense, even a KX3 to a K3 as they
> are more similar.
>
> I think the only radio on the market right now that can be compared to
> the K4 is the 7610 from ICOM. And frankly, it's not so good for the K4.
>
> A little over a year ago, I was in the market for a high end transceiver
> and basically decided between waiting for a K4 or buy a 7610. I bought
> the Icom. While I am sure the K4 is a better radio in some ways, the
> question is: is it twice as good? (Add tuner, second ADC, etc.)
>
> Looking at the specs, I am shocked the K4 is shipping with only one ADC.
> At the price point and with the 7610 on the market for $2900 all day
> long it's a serious flaw for me.
>
> The K4 also has no pre-selector that I can tell and that is useful too
> me at times, especially on the low bands.
>
> IMO the competition for the K4 is the 7610 as they are architecturally
> very similar.
>
> Maybe an Apache ANON 7000 DLE would be in there as well but the Icom
> beats that too IMO. (Since it has buttons, and a tuner, and pin-diode
> QSK etc)
>
> That said, I have since bought a K3 to go with the 7610 and will likely
> get a K4 and an ANON in the future so I am as hopeless as the rest.
>
> 73's all.
>
> --
> Dave Erickson
> AB0R
> 73

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Giving Up

Bob Wilson, N6TV
Doug,

You didn't mention what rig you are going to buy instead.  Be sure to be
aware of its limitations before you buy it.

For example, the FTdx101MP has three show-stoppers (for a CW op like me),
despite it's impressive numbers in the Sherwood table:

   - Poor QSK performance (the clicking keying relay cannot be disabled,
   same problem as the IC-7300)
   - No CW sidetone output on USB Audio CODEC-- cannot record both ends of
   your QSOs (a contest requirement in some contests)
   - Mouse wheel is not supported for fine tuning or RIT (I think).  K4
   supports this very well

As for comparing the K4 to the K3, despite the K3's "superior" numbers in
the Sherwood table, the K4 SOUNDS so much better than any K3.  The K4 audio
is just SO CLEAN compared to the K3, which makes a big difference when a
pileup calls.  That quality is not captured by any subjective measurement.
The narrow DSP filters (down to 50 Hz) also seem to work so much better in
the K4 than the narrow 250 or 200 Hz crystal filters in the K3 -- no
ringing.

73,
Bob, N6TV

On 6/9/2021 12:01 AM, Bob Wilson, N6TV wrote:
> As for comparing the K4 to the K3, despite the K3's "superior" numbers in
> the Sherwood table, the K4 SOUNDS so much better than any K3.  The K4 audio
> is just SO CLEAN compared to the K3, which makes a big difference when a
> pileup calls.  That quality is not captured by any subjective measurement.
> The narrow DSP filters (down to 50 Hz) also seem to work so much better in
> the K4 than the narrow 250 or 200 Hz crystal filters in the K3 -- no
> ringing.

Note that Bob, like K6XX, is a serious engineer (retired from IBM) and
TOP CW contester. Both are friends. TV is retired, XX is a manufacturing
engineer at Elecraft. XX is also a serious SSB contester.

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Giving Up

Macy monkeys

For me, there are two more FTdx101D CW operator show stoppers.

Fourth show stopper: CW sidetone is not a pure tone. T8 not T9.

Fifth show stopper: rig will not key properly with a sideswiper key. Dits merge becoming a solid dash over 22 wpm.

Yaesu is aware of both issues. I was told to go pound sand.

John K7FD

> [...]
>> the price/performance just isn't there for me. I sold my very complete
>> K3 station several years ago in anticipation of the K4. But now the
>> waiting has left me thinking about how much I'm willing to invest and
>> whether or not another brand whose transceivers are as much as $1500
>> less and whose performance seems quite impressive will meet my needs.
>> After literally several years of contemplation I conclude that, for me,
>> the K4 is not worth the price. $3600 (with the tuner since every other
>> significant radio includes one) would seem competitive and I would jump
>> on it at this price. But as it is? Can't see doing it. I apologize if
>> feelings are hurt or I've made anyone angry. I'm leaving the list since
>> I'm no longer waiting patiently for what we once called Vaporware.
>>
>> Good luck to everyone on their current and future K4s.

Wes I don’t know about your K3 except mine has both a Mic and Headphone jacks on the front left hand side :)

Skip Davis, NC9O
Sent from my iPhone

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Giving Up

Elecraft mailing list

John K7FD<<<
How does it know you're using a cootie?  I exceed 22 wpm with a straight key or a bug, sometimes operating  35wpm and higher the latter with no probs. Straight key, cootie, or bug are all just a contact closure. How would the rig know the diff?
An external keyer is still essentially a contact closure and will go higher yet.

Lou W7HV
    On Wednesday, June 9, 2021, 7:15:12 AM MDT, Skip Davis via Elecraft <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Wes I don’t know about your K3 except mine has both a Mic and Headphone jacks on the front left hand side :)

Skip Davis, NC9O
Sent from my iPhone

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Giving Up

Bill Frantz
On 6/9/21 at 3:01 AM, [hidden email] (Bob Wilson, N6TV) commented:

>The narrow DSP filters (down to 50 Hz) also seem to work so much better in
>the K4 than the narrow 250 or 200 Hz crystal filters in the K3 -- no
>ringing.

I frequently run my K3 with a 250 Hz crystal filter and the DSP
at 50 or 100 on a weak CW signal in crowded conditions. While
the K4 audio may be significantly better, the K3 is no slouch in
this configuration and most of the time it beats the audio
peaking filter.

[Still waiting for the kit. :-)]

73 Bill AE6JV

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Old keys and modern rigs like K4 [was Re: Giving Up]

Drew AF2Z
I don't know but am happy to speculate wildly...

Unlike straight keys and bugs, cootie key (sideswiper) sending is almost
universally heavily weighted: the time between dits and/or dahs is less
than the duration of a dit. My guess is that this particular rig's
debounce(?) processing routine could be having trouble interpreting that
keying characteristic. (I once had a PicoKeyer that had a peculiar
problem with straight key input above a certain speed, later fixed in
firmware.)

BTW, heavily weighted code can be perfectly readable to CW operators,
may even be preferred under some propagation conditions or noise,
whereas software decoders may have a problem with it. (RBN & fldigi
decoders seem to have a problem interpreting more heavily weighted
sending.) IOW, don't automatically blame the key/operator for poor sending.

It would be useful to mechanical key users if modern rigs (hint: K4) had
an option for varying the parameters in the debounce (or whatever)
routine to suit various characteristics of bugs, sideswipers & straight
keys. It is not uncommon for a key to work fine with one rig and produce
keying glitches on another.

Hoping to be using my 100+ year old Bunnell Double Speed cootie to key a
brand new K4 at some point...

73,
Drew
AF2Z

On 06/09/21 09:58, Louandzip via Elecraft wrote:

>   >>>>rig will not key properly with a sideswiper key. Dits merge becoming a solid dash over 22 wpm...
> John K7FD<<<
> How does it know you're using a cootie?  I exceed 22 wpm with a straight key or a bug, sometimes operating  35wpm and higher the latter with no probs. Straight key, cootie, or bug are all just a contact closure. How would the rig know the diff?
> An external keyer is still essentially a contact closure and will go higher yet.
>
> Lou W7HV
>      On Wednesday, June 9, 2021, 7:15:12 AM MDT, Skip Davis via Elecraft <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>   Wes I don’t know about your K3 except mine has both a Mic and Headphone jacks on the front left hand side :)
>
> Skip Davis, NC9O
> Sent from my iPhone

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Giving Up

Macy monkeys
It appears to sense the spacing within each character sent. If manually sent CW is over 22 wpm…and the spacing is close enough…the FTdx101D will blur the dits together. The letter ‘H’ turns into a long dash. No other radio I have here (thirteen) does this. I recorded spectrum scope videos on a separate receiver and sent them to Yaesu. Their response was ‘use a paddle and don’t bother us.’ But I’m over it; I just use my IC-7610 or RGO One when I use my cootie :)

John K7FD

> John K7FD<<<
> How does it know you're using a cootie?  I exceed 22 wpm with a straight key or a bug, sometimes operating  35wpm and higher the latter with no probs. Straight key, cootie, or bug are all just a contact closure. How would the rig know the diff?
> An external keyer is still essentially a contact closure and will go higher yet.
>
> Lou W7HV
>    On Wednesday, June 9, 2021, 7:15:12 AM MDT, Skip Davis via Elecraft <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Wes I don’t know about your K3 except mine has both a Mic and Headphone jacks on the front left hand side :)
>
> Skip Davis, NC9O
> Sent from my iPhone

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Giving Up

Elecraft mailing list
 >>>the FTdx101D will blur the dits together...John K7FD<<<

This morning I've tried replicating the issue with my straight key sending dits as fast as I can (~23 wpm), a bug at something over 40 wpm, and by hooking up a paddle as cootie (not a cootie user myself).  On the cootie, that fastest burst of dits I can physically produce I estimate to be roughly 37wpm comparing to dits from a keyer set to that speed. I get no blurring listing to the side tone or listening on another rig while transmitting with the MP.
I know you've also complained about how your side tone sounds.  Mine does not sound like a pure sign wave, but sounds very similar to actual signals heard over the air. Of course actual signals are not pure sign tones, either at their origin or coming out of the RX. (phase noise, non-linearities, and all that...)

FWIW: I basically only operate CW, mainly paddles and keyer, and sometimes a straight key.  I'm very hesitant to inflict my bug fist on anyone.

Lou W7HV
   On Wednesday, June 9, 2021, 10:10:07 AM MDT, John Nicholson <[hidden email]> wrote:

 It appears to sense the spacing within each character sent. If manually sent CW is over 22 wpm…and the spacing is close enough…the FTdx101D will blur the dits together. The letter ‘H’ turns into a long dash. No other radio I have here (thirteen) does this. I recorded spectrum scope videos on a separate receiver and sent them to Yaesu. Their response was ‘use a paddle and don’t bother us.’ But I’m over it; I just use my IC-7610 or RGO One when I use my cootie :)

John K7FD

> John K7FD<<<
> How does it know you're using a cootie?  I exceed 22 wpm with a straight key or a bug, sometimes operating  35wpm and higher the latter with no probs. Straight key, cootie, or bug are all just a contact closure. How would the rig know the diff?
> An external keyer is still essentially a contact closure and will go higher yet.
>
> Lou W7HV
>    On Wednesday, June 9, 2021, 7:15:12 AM MDT, Skip Davis via Elecraft <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Wes I don’t know about your K3 except mine has both a Mic and Headphone jacks on the front left hand side :)
>
> Skip Davis, NC9O
> Sent from my iPhone

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Giving Up

George Thornton
I am not active in CW, most of my HF work is voice.  I do some contesting but I have conflicting time demands that make it difficult  to spend a lot of time in the operating chair.

The K3 has been my rig of choice and I am very comfortable with the rig.    I am of course intrigued by the K4.

Improved audio alone would be a reason to upgrade.  My biggest concern with the K3 is the quality of the audio.  It has a tinny, harsh sound that can wear on you if you are in the contesting chair for long hours.  I have moderated the sound by use of a pair of Sounds Sweet speakers and I bring those bulky beasts with me when I go into the field.

I am looking for an opportunity to compare the K3 and K4 side by side. I also want to see how the K4HD shakes out.

Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Giving Up

Josh Fiden
With the top tier radios all being so good, what interests me is how my head feels after a few hours of picking out signals.

73
Josh W6XU

Sent from my iPad

> On Jun 9, 2021, at 12:03 AM, Bob Wilson, N6TV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> the K4 SOUNDS so much better than any K3.  The K4 audio
> is just SO CLEAN compared to the K3, which makes a big difference when a
> pileup calls.  That quality is not captured by any subjective measurement.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Giving Up

Wes Stewart-2
You need to go back and read what I wrote.

On 6/9/2021 6:14 AM, Skip Davis via Elecraft wrote:

> Wes I don’t know about your K3 except mine has both a Mic and Headphone jacks on the front left hand side :)
>
> Skip Davis, NC9O
> Sent from my iPhone

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Giving Up

JHRichards
Mr. Brown and a few others repeatedly claim Yaesu rigs cause all sorts
of noise, yet fail to substantiate or provide serious proof beyond
quoting Rob Sherwood NC0B who,. purportedly, has a neighbor with a noisy
FT3000, and mentioning early FT1000s which Yaesu eventually fixed along
the way.    Mr. Brown accumulated graphs published by the ARRL Lab,
which are interesting, yet fail to prove the point - mostly, I am told,
because the problem involves a DIFFERENT TYPE of noise, which ARRL Lab
Chief Allison told me was not being measured, although it had plans to
do so in the future. Thus, these claims are essentially anecdotal
hearsay with several ops merely repeating what others have said.

Without serious technical substantiation, these claims are somewhat
reckless with undue chilling effect on owning and using Yaesu and other
brand radios, as if Elecraft is all good and without fault. I was truly
impressed and caught off guard when Mr. Wayne at Elecraft admitted its
transmitters are using old-school technology and could stand much
improvement, along with the rest of the crowd - a frankly humble and
forthright statement which earned my respect. I live in a fairly large
metropolitan area with a lot of other hams, and no one is complaining
about noisy transmitters from any brand. This seems to be an obsession
of a very few hams who enjoy mounting the soap box.

I wish everyone would be as careful and as measured expressing their
take. as Mr. Wayne.      K8JHR

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Giving Up

NK7Z
Blasphemer...

73, and thanks,
Dave (NK7Z)
https://www.nk7z.net

On 6/9/21 4:38 PM, Richards wrote:
> as if Elecraft is all good and without fault

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Giving Up

Bill K9YEQ
I prefer those who are tired of waiting, give up so if your in front of me, I will move up!
Bill
K9YEQ

Have a great day!
Bill

________________________________
> [...]

> the Icom. While I am sure the K4 is a better radio in some ways, the
> question is: is it twice as good? (Add tuner, second ADC, etc.)
>
> Looking at the specs, I am shocked the K4 is shipping with only one ADC.
> At the price point and with the 7610 on the market for $2900 all day
> long it's a serious flaw for me.
>
> The K4 also has no pre-selector that I can tell and that is useful too
> me at times, especially on the low bands.
>
> IMO the competition for the K4 is the 7610 as they are architecturally
> very similar.
>
> Maybe an Apache ANON 7000 DLE would be in there as well but the Icom
> beats that too IMO. (Since it has buttons, and a tuner, and pin-diode
> QSK etc)
>
> That said, I have since bought a K3 to go with the 7610 and will likely
> get a K4 and an ANON in the future so I am as hopeless as the rest.

kt5te
Bill,

I know you are tired of waiting, so get out of the way?  I'm ready for my K4...

--
73, William KT5TE

On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 10:34:43 PM CDT Bill Johnson wrote:
> I prefer those who are tired of waiting, give up so if your in front of me,
> I will move up! Bill
> K9YEQ
>
> Have a great day!
> Bill