Giving Up

Doug Person-4
Sadly, I've decided to give up waiting for the K4. I'm probably far down
the list anyway. Their are numerous reason for this decision. First,
there is the cost. With a tuner the price is $4600 making it one of the
most expensive transceivers on the market. I fully realize that the K4
is feature rich and extremely well designed. I would never take anything
away from Elecraft's engineering ability. The K3 set a new standard of
performance that made the other manufacturers substantially up their
game - which they did. But is the K4 going to do the same thing the K3
did? To me, it doesn't look like it. Innovative in some, perhaps many
ways - yes. A new trend setter? I'm not so sure. When the K3 came out it
was very competitively priced. I'm not sure I would describe the K4 with
the same words. It is unquestionably an expensive radio. At this point
the price/performance just isn't there for me. I sold my very complete
K3 station several years ago in anticipation of the K4. But now the
waiting has left me thinking about how much I'm willing to invest and
whether or not another brand whose transceivers are as much as $1500
less and whose performance seems quite impressive will meet my needs.
After literally several years of contemplation I conclude that, for me,
the K4 is not worth the price. $3600 (with the tuner since every other
significant radio includes one) would seem competitive and I would jump
on it at this price. But as it is? Can't see doing it. I apologize if
feelings are hurt or I've made anyone angry. I'm leaving the list since
I'm no longer waiting patiently for what we once called Vaporware.

Good luck to everyone on their current and future K4s.

Doug -- K0DXV

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Giving Up

Doug Turnbull
GM Doug,    A fully loaded K3 P3 was always dear.   It rivalled the 7850 price but did not reach the cost while arguably being the better radio.   The fully loaded K4 is less expensive to my reckoning in todays money than the loaded K3 with P3 and physically smaller.    I suspect it may not be so much superior to the K3 in RF terms except that it is in the important area of ergonomics.   The wait has been excessive for sure.Your reasonng is understandable.   Hope the next radio is great.   Meanwhile keep enjoying ham radio.I will keep waiting.73 Doug EI2CNSent from my Galaxy
-------- Original message --------From: Doug Person <[hidden email]> Date: 08/06/2021  03:34  (GMT+00:00) To: [hidden email] Subject: [Elecraft] Giving Up Sadly, I've decided to give up waiting for the K4. I'm probably far down the list anyway. Their are numerous reason for this decision. First, there is the cost. With a tuner the price is $4600 making it one of the most expensive transceivers on the market. I fully realize that the K4 is feature rich and extremely well designed. I would never take anything away from Elecraft's engineering ability. The K3 set a new standard of performance that made the other manufacturers substantially up their game - which they did. But is the K4 going to do the same thing the K3 did? To me, it doesn't look like it. Innovative in some, perhaps many ways - yes. A new trend setter? I'm not so sure. When the K3 came out it was very competitively priced. I'm not sure I would describe the K4 with the same words. It is unquestionably an expensive radio. At this point the price/performance just isn't there for me. I sold my very complete K3 station several years ago in anticipation of the K4. But now the waiting has left me thinking about how much I'm willing to invest and whether or not another brand whose transceivers are as much as $1500 less and whose performance seems quite impressive will meet my needs. After literally several years of contemplation I conclude that, for me, the K4 is not worth the price. $3600 (with the tuner since every other significant radio includes one) would seem competitive and I would jump on it at this price. But as it is? Can't see doing it. I apologize if feelings are hurt or I've made anyone angry. I'm leaving the list since I'm no longer waiting patiently for what we once called Vaporware.Good luck to everyone on their current and future K4s.Doug -- K0DXV______________________________________________________________Elecraft mailing listHome: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraftHelp: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htmPost: mailto:[hidden email] list hosted by: http://www.qsl.netPlease help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.htmlMessage delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Giving Up

George Thornton
I agree that the price for the K4 has to be compared with the fully loaded K3 plus P3.   In that respect it is not overpriced.

I don't think we should make too much of the Sherwood Engineering test data at this point.    I would suspect it would be hard for the human ear to tell the difference among the top eight or ten models on the list.  I also think that when the K4 HD unit is out you might see higher results.  I suspect direct sampling technology is not as capable as superhet when it comes to separating out closely spaced signals which is what Sherwood Engineering uses to rank radios.

[...]

Igor Sokolov-2
I am afraid K4HD is going to be even more expensive and when compared
performance/features/price ratio with FTDX101 that has the same
architecture Elecraft K4HD does not look to me like a good investment. I
will keep my K3 and KX3 though and will possibly consider FTDX10 which
sounds like a good value for money. If only Yaesu did not have those
tiny difficult to find and deal with connectors. I have also got used to
at least 3 audio output ports on K3 with own AF amplifier each. UI on
Elecraft radios is sure much better thought out but the price tag
overweight.

73, Igor UA9CDC

08.06.2021 11:53, George Thornton пишет:

> I agree that the price for the K4 has to be compared with the fully loaded K3 plus P3.   In that respect it is not overpriced.
>
> I don't think we should make too much of the Sherwood Engineering test data at this point.    I would suspect it would be hard for the human ear to tell the difference among the top eight or ten models on the list.  I also think that when the K4 HD unit is out you might see higher results.  I suspect direct sampling technology is not as capable as superhet when it comes to separating out closely spaced signals which is what Sherwood Engineering uses to rank radios.

Rick Tavan-2
Rob Sherwood's data is excellent. The problem is hams thinking the order of
listing is based on an
overall figure of merit. It is *not*. Rob had to choose *one column* on
which to sort his list. When he
first published it, he chose third-order dynamic range (narrow spaced),
probably because many
receivers *of that day* had poor performance on that important metric. For
consistency, he has chosen
to retain that sort order even though many (most?) modern receivers have
improved to the point
where that particular parameter is almost irrelevant when choosing among
top radios. George is
correct that most of us can't tell the difference among radios due to minor
differences in
DR - they are ALL excellent and Rob is careful to point that out when he
speaks at
hamfests. In fact, most modern transceivers excel in so many receiver
performance metrics that
Rob and others are now rightly crusading for improvements in transmitter
performance which
has not advanced as much as receiver performance across the industry. K4
(and K3 before it)
and a few others have excellent transmitter IMD and clean keying that make
them best choices,
especially in crowded or multi-transmitter environments and among hams who
care about not
generating unnecessarily broad signals. That plus ergonomics and operating
features should be
the new basis of comparison but they don't fit on a list of *receiver
performance* metrics.
I'd like to see a new table of select transmitter performance measurements.
Ergonomics
and feature sets don't lend themselves as easily to tabular comparison
except by manufacturers
who can choose which things to mention, so it's important to read the
descriptions, read the
reviews, listen to owners and, if still unsure, sit down with the radios
before making a decision.

The Sherwood data is good. Just don't interpret it the wrong way.

73,

/Rick N6XI

On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 11:54 PM George Thornton <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree that the price for the K4 has to be compared with the fully loaded
> K3 plus P3.   In that respect it is not overpriced.
>
> I don't think we should make too much of the Sherwood Engineering test
> data at this point.    I would suspect it would be hard for the human ear
> to tell the difference among the top eight or ten models on the list.  I
> also think that when the K4 HD unit is out you might see higher results.  I
> suspect direct sampling technology is not as capable as superhet when it
> comes to separating out closely spaced signals which is what Sherwood
> Engineering uses to rank radios.

Rick Tavan
Truckee and Saratoga, CA

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Giving Up

weaverwf@usermail.com
Hopefully Elecraft will put a priority on pre-distortion which will vault the K4/KPA1500 combo to the top on the transmitter performance list. Only the Anan rigs from Apache Labs employs pre-distortion  now.

73,
Bill WE5P

Comfortably Numb

> [...]
> before making a decision.
>
> The Sherwood data is good. Just don't interpret it the wrong way.
>
> 73,
>
> /Rick N6XI
>
>> On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 11:54 PM George Thornton <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I agree that the price for the K4 has to be compared with the fully loaded
>> K3 plus P3.   In that respect it is not overpriced.
>>
>> I don't think we should make too much of the Sherwood Engineering test
>> data at this point.    I would suspect it would be hard for the human ear
>> to tell the difference among the top eight or ten models on the list.  I
>> also think that when the K4 HD unit is out you might see higher results.  I
>> suspect direct sampling technology is not as capable as superhet when it
>> comes to separating out closely spaced signals which is what Sherwood

I would not exactly call this giving up.  Would I like to have a K4?  Sure, but I wouldn’t know what to do with it . . . KX2 + KXPA100 + a wire in a tree is more than enough for me.  Just my two cents.

Keeping Watch -
shu

Joe Shuman, NZ8P

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Giving Up

KENT TRIMBLE
Not so, Doug.

My K3, including accessories and filters, was $4,500 in 2007. That's
$5,722 in today's dollars.

A K4 with all its advanced technology at $4,600 (your quote) is a steal
compared to a K3.

The word "expensive" can be applied to the K4 (or any product) only when
answering the question, "compared to what?"  Otherwise it has no
meaning.  Nothing is expensive or inexpensive on its own.  The word has
relevance only when comparing the price of two or more products.

73,

Kent  K9ZTV

.

https://www.avg.com

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Giving Up

Jim Brown-10
On 6/8/2021 3:00 AM, Igor Sokolov wrote:
> FTDX10 which sounds like a good value for money.

Except that Yaesu radios have a long history of generating nasty clicks,
and have more recently established the reputation of severe splatter on
SSB.

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Giving Up

Hal Massey
This is not like a departure in a plane from O’Hare airport. You do not have to announce your intentions before leaving here. Thank You.

On 6/8/2021 7:30 AM, Rick Tavan wrote:
> Rob Sherwood's data is excellent.

When studying Rob's work, remember that his table only addresses RECEIVE
performance. He has only very recently begun to look at transmit quality.

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Giving Up

hb9cvq
I run a FTDX101 MP-no SSB splatter ( 20W/65W), no CW clicks (6ms)- May 2021
FW update implemented.
Latest issue of QST (June) ARRL Lab: Test Report - Review on FTDX10 does not
confirm clicks or SSB splatter.

Tnx, Cu, vy 73 de Andy
HB9CVQ, DK2VQ, AK4IG

https://www.qrz.com/db/HB9CVQ

On 6/8/2021 3:00 AM, Igor Sokolov wrote:
> FTDX10 which sounds like a good value for money.

Except that Yaesu radios have a long history of generating nasty clicks, and
have more recently established the reputation of severe splatter on SSB.

73, Jim K9YC

delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Giving Up

David Gilbert-2

Except that the K4 (not K4HD) does not equal the K3 for raw
performance.  The K4HD with equivalent performance and accessories is
going to cost a fortune, with the extra cost going mostly into creature
features.

And you're forgetting comparison to rigs from other manufacturers. If
you create a sliding scale of cost versus performance for various rigs,
Elecraft doesn't come out on top on any rig anymore.

Dave   AB7E

On 6/8/2021 10:25 AM, KENT TRIMBLE wrote:

> Not so, Doug.
>
> My K3, including accessories and filters, was $4,500 in 2007. That's
> $5,722 in today's dollars.
>
> A K4 with all its advanced technology at $4,600 (your quote) is a
> steal compared to a K3.
>
> The word "expensive" can be applied to the K4 (or any product) only
> when answering the question, "compared to what?"  Otherwise it has no
> meaning.  Nothing is expensive or inexpensive on its own.  The word
> has relevance only when comparing the price of two or more products.
>
> 73,
>
> Kent  K9ZTV
>

> On 6/7/2021 9:33 PM, Doug Person, KØDXV, wrote:
>> ... With a tuner the [K4] price is $4600 making it one of the most
>> expensive transceivers on the market ... When the K3 came out it was
>> very competitively priced. I'm not sure I would describe the K4 with
>> the same words. It is unquestionably an expensive radio.
> .

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Giving Up

George Thornton
I don't know the FTDX10 but it looks like it has a single receiver and can't be updated.

I note these Yaesu rigs seem to have crystal filters and use a combination of superhet and direct sampling architecture whereas the K4D is direct sampling.   I would hold off on reaching conclusions on relative performance until the K4HD comes out and is tested.  Only then would you get comparable radios.

On 6/8/2021 3:00 AM, Igor Sokolov wrote:
> FTDX10 which sounds like a good value for money.

Except that Yaesu radios have a long history of generating nasty clicks, and have more recently established the reputation of severe splatter on SSB.

73, Jim K9YC

Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Giving Up

George Thornton
I think it is correct to say the basic k4 does not exceed the K3 raw performance (based on the Sherwood engineering standard) but I think the results are pretty close for practical purposes.  I would not say the K4 is materially worse.   I think it would be up to individual K3 owners to decide whether to sell and pay the difference for an upgrade.

I looked at pricing for the Yaesu stuff and the comparable dual receiver model comes out at $4700.  Their 200 watt version is advertised at $5200.

We don't really know how much the superhet option will cost but what if it was a grand more, that would put the top of the line K4HD at $5000.   At that level I would look more at a full feature comparison before I reached a conclusion about which is a better deal.

I don't have full information on pricing and options so I don't know if my numbers are off.

We are dealing with a US company versus foreign made and that may also be a factor.

I also suspect Elecraft could in the future come out with a scaled down model that has only one receiver and that could become a lower cost option.

Except that the K4 (not K4HD) does not equal the K3 for raw performance.  The K4HD with equivalent performance and accessories is going to cost a fortune, with the extra cost going mostly into creature features.

And you're forgetting comparison to rigs from other manufacturers. If you create a sliding scale of cost versus performance for various rigs, Elecraft doesn't come out on top on any rig anymore.

Dave   AB7E

On 6/8/2021 10:25 AM, KENT TRIMBLE wrote:

> Not so, Doug.
>
> My K3, including accessories and filters, was $4,500 in 2007. That's
> $5,722 in today's dollars.
>
> A K4 with all its advanced technology at $4,600 (your quote) is a
> steal compared to a K3.
>
> The word "expensive" can be applied to the K4 (or any product) only
> when answering the question, "compared to what?"  Otherwise it has no
> meaning.  Nothing is expensive or inexpensive on its own.  The word
> has relevance only when comparing the price of two or more products.
>
> 73,
>
> Kent  K9ZTV
>

> On 6/7/2021 9:33 PM, Doug Person, KØDXV, wrote:
>> ... With a tuner the [K4] price is $4600 making it one of the most
>> expensive transceivers on the market ... When the K3 came out it was
>> very competitively priced. I'm not sure I would describe the K4 with
>> the same words. It is unquestionably an expensive radio.
> .

Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Giving Up

Wes Stewart-2
Except all of that has been fixed in later offerings.

On 6/8/2021 10:47 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On 6/8/2021 3:00 AM, Igor Sokolov wrote:
>> FTDX10 which sounds like a good value for money.
>
> Except that Yaesu radios have a long history of generating nasty clicks, and
> have more recently established the reputation of severe splatter on SSB.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Giving Up

Carl Yaffey
My FTdx010d has no problems.

Carl Yaffey  K8NU
614 268 6353, Columbus OH
http://www.carl-yaffey.com
http://www.bluesswing.com
http://www.timbrewolvesband.com
http://www.folkramblers.carl-yaffey.com
Http:www.clintonvillegrass.com

> On Jun 8, 2021, at 3:51 PM, Wes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Except all of that has been fixed in later offerings.
>

> On 6/8/2021 10:47 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
>> On 6/8/2021 3:00 AM, Igor Sokolov wrote:
>>> FTDX10 which sounds like a good value for money.
>>
>> Except that Yaesu radios have a long history of generating nasty clicks, and have more recently established the reputation of severe splatter on SSB.
>>
>> 73, Jim K9YC

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Giving Up

Dr. William J. Schmidt, II
Performance simply is not the issue here.

Elecraft has made a marketing decision to market one radio and it is priced
in the middle of the Ham-consumer pack with other radios with similar
performance.  They have opted to skip the entry-level market (like Icom with
the 7300 that you can get for basically $1000, and a range of radios at
different price points).  Many people can't pony up the $4,000+ for the new
(now) entry level Elecraft (no matter what the performance) and will go
elsewhere for their radios.  This is a different model than the entry level
K3 that initially started barely over $1,000.

That's what's up here... As Rob says in all of his talks... "Any of the
radios in the top 10+ are about the same in performance... you serve
yourself best buying one with the options that suit you".   Unless, of
course, you are a performance number chaser...

email:  [hidden email]

https://www.avg.com

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Giving Up

Wes Stewart-2
Except the OP gave up on waiting.

I did too.  I haven't cancelled my no-deposit K4 order, but I turn 80 later this
year and I wanted a new radio before then.  So I bought a TS-890S.  It too is a
single-receiver box.  But, I'm two away from top of the Honor Roll and have
9-band DXCC all from withing a 10 mile circle and I've never owned a transceiver
with two receivers.  A contester might want one but as a DXer I've never seen
the need.

I've only had the Kenwood for about 7 months, but it's already been more
reliable than either my K3 or K3S. Prior to the Elecrafts I had a TS-870SAT that
was flawless for over 12 years. The '890 isn't perfect, the K3 and K3S are
better on RTTY, I don't like not having mic and headphone jacks on the rear
panel, among other nits.  But the feel of the tuning knob, the ergonomics, the
better frequency stability, the audio and the far better TX IMD are pluses.  It
has a built in tuner, albeit with a lesser range. Although I don't use or have
an interest in remote operation, the Kenwood has built-in capability.

Although the prices have actually gone up since i bought mine, they are still
less than a base K4.

Wes  N7WS

On 6/8/2021 12:09 PM, George Thornton wrote:
> I don't know the FTDX10 but it looks like it has a single receiver and can't be updated.
>
> I note these Yaesu rigs seem to have crystal filters and use a combination of superhet and direct sampling architecture whereas the K4D is direct sampling.   I would hold off on reaching conclusions on relative performance until the K4HD comes out and is tested.  Only then would you get comparable radios.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Giving Up

John_N1JM
I  have kind of given up, too. I did a no deposit order just about this time
2 years ago. I recently bought an IC-7610. I guess I'll see what I will do
when they call me to tell me my order is ready.

John N1JM

Wes Stewart-2 wrote

--
Sent from: http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/