Help needed connecting Alpha 86 amp to K3

Help needed connecting Alpha 86 amp to K3

Robert Fanfant-2

My Alpha 86 has three RCA jacks:1) Relay2) ALC3) Key out What connections need to be made to the K3? -rob

Re: Help needed connecting Alpha 86 amp to K3

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Robert Fanfant <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My Alpha 86 has three RCA jacks:1) Relay2) ALC3) Key out What connections need to be made to the K3? -rob

K3 "KEY OUT" to Alpha "RELAY". That's all (apart from RF, of course!).
Some may recommend using ALC, but it should only be as an overdrive
protection mechanism, if used at all. Keep the drive level down so the
Alpha is operating within (mainly grid-current) specs, and all will be
well.

    ~iain / N6ML

Re: Help needed connecting Alpha 86 amp to K3

Robert Fanfant-2

Thanks for the quick replies! It works!!!! -rob
 > Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 10:39:01 -0800

> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Help needed connecting Alpha 86 amp to K3
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> CC: [hidden email]
>
> On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Robert Fanfant <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > My Alpha 86 has three RCA jacks:1) Relay2) ALC3) Key out What connections need to be made to the K3? -rob
>
> K3 "KEY OUT" to Alpha "RELAY". That's all (apart from RF, of course!).
> Some may recommend using ALC, but it should only be as an overdrive
> protection mechanism, if used at all. Keep the drive level down so the
> Alpha is operating within (mainly grid-current) specs, and all will be
> well.
>
>     ~iain / N6ML

Re: Help needed connecting Alpha 86 amp to K3

Val-12
Connecting of Alpha KEY OUT to K3 TX INHIBIT is a good practice too. A
pull-down or pull-up resistor might be needed.

73, Val LZ1VB