Help with K3, TenTec TITAN amp, and QSK

David Windisch
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Brgds,
Dave, N3HE
Cincinnati OH

Re: Help with K3, TenTec TITAN amp, and QSK

Ignacy
When I asked TT about k3 and the Centurion, they wrote to connect it straight without any extra delay and do not worry. So far no problem.
Ignacy

David Windisch wrote
Hi, all concerned:

Please make comments about the situation here before I siubar:

My TITAN amplifier has a QSK keying loop, which I now use with an external keyer and FT-1000D.

I've RTM ver. D2, searched the Nabble K3 reflector, and see nothing about such a setup for use with the K3.

I use the external keyer because it has real *weight*-control, not the phony *ratio*-control passed off as weight-control in (not only) the FT-1000D.

Real weight-control allows me to make the on-the-air signal sound good by compensating for delays in the t/r switching interval, which show up as light characters.

Common sense tells me this setup ought to work with the K3 as well ;o)

Your input, please.

Tia & 73
Dave Windisch, W8FGX
Cincinnati

Re: Help with K3, TenTec TITAN amp, and QSK

Vic K2VCO
David Windisch wrote:
> Hi, all concerned:
>
> Please make comments about the situation here before I siubar:
>
> My TITAN amplifier has a QSK keying loop, which I now use with an external keyer and
> FT-1000D.
>
> I've RTM ver. D2, searched the Nabble K3 reflector, and see nothing about such a setup
> for use with the K3.

You do not need the QSK loop with the K3, which has an adjustable delay of 8 - 20 (I
think) ms. between the amp key signal and the generation of RF. You can attach the K3's
key out to the Titan's key in, and connect the external keyer to the K2's key in.

I use a Logikey K3 and set the K parameter (I've been using K=3 or K=4) to lengthen the
elements to compensate when using the K3 in QSK mode.

The K3's internal keyer does have a weight control which varies the dot:space ratio. This
is not the same as the Logikey's K parameter, because the K lengthens the elements by a
constant amount regardless of speed (the Logikey also has a weight adjustment if you wish).

I understand a 'ratio' control as dot:dash ratio. This should, in my opinion, always be
exactly 3:1 and I am surprised to hear that any modern keyer still has such a control!
Maybe you mean dot:space ratio, which I have always called a 'weight control'.

In any event, the internal keyer is not bad and can be set for either iambic mode A or B.
I like the Logikey a bit better because the timing seems less critical to me.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Re: Help with K3, TenTec TITAN amp, and QSK

Steve Ellington
2 things:
I see that the K3 can delay RF generation before keying the amp relay but
what about, upon key up, delaying amp delay until RF ceases?  How is this
accomplished. Is it included?
2. The K3's keyer is excellent but it's a ratio adjustment, not weight as
indicated. The dit length or heaviness is non adjustable. This is like most
JA rigs and is really strange. Why would anyone want long dahs like a bug? A
real weight control shortens both dits and dahs equally and makes overall
keying sound more choppy or heavier. Although the K3's weight is about
right, some of us would prefer lighter weight for  high speed and heavy
weight for bad conditions. This goes way back to the early days of  Morse.
Steve Ellington
[hidden email]
>> Please make comments about the situation here before I siubar:
>>
>> My TITAN amplifier has a QSK keying loop, which I now use with an
>> external keyer and
>> FT-1000D.
>>
>> I've RTM ver. D2, searched the Nabble K3 reflector, and see nothing about
>> such a setup
>> for use with the K3.
>
> You do not need the QSK loop with the K3, which has an adjustable delay of
> 8 - 20 (I
> think) ms. between the amp key signal and the generation of RF. You can
> attach the K3's
> key out to the Titan's key in, and connect the external keyer to the K2's
> key in.
>
> I use a Logikey K3 and set the K parameter (I've been using K=3 or K=4) to
> lengthen the
> elements to compensate when using the K3 in QSK mode.
>
> The K3's internal keyer does have a weight control which varies the
> dot:space ratio. This
> is not the same as the Logikey's K parameter, because the K lengthens the
> elements by a
> constant amount regardless of speed (the Logikey also has a weight
> adjustment if you wish).
>
> I understand a 'ratio' control as dot:dash ratio. This should, in my
> opinion, always be
> exactly 3:1 and I am surprised to hear that any modern keyer still has
> such a control!
> Maybe you mean dot:space ratio, which I have always called a 'weight
> control'.
>
> In any event, the internal keyer is not bad and can be set for either
> iambic mode A or B.
> I like the Logikey a bit better because the timing seems less critical to
> me.

> Vic, K2VCO
> Fresno CA
> http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Re: Help with K3, TenTec TITAN amp, and QSK

Steve Ellington
 Typo correction (amp relay) not amp delay!

Steve Ellington wrote:
> 2 things:
> I see that the K3 can delay RF generation before keying the amp relay
> but what about, upon key up, delaying amp delay until RF ceases?  How is
> this accomplished. Is it included?

Yes, AMP KEY does not drop until after RF generation stops. I don't recall how long the
delay is.

> 2. The K3's keyer is excellent but it's a ratio adjustment, not weight
> as indicated. The dit length or heaviness is non adjustable. This is
> like most JA rigs and is really strange. Why would anyone want long dahs
> like a bug? A real weight control shortens both dits and dahs equally
> and makes overall keying sound more choppy or heavier. Although the K3's
> weight is about right, some of us would prefer lighter weight for  high
> speed and heavy weight for bad conditions. This goes way back to the
> early days of  Morse.

I don't think this is correct. I think it controls the dot:space ratio and the dot:dash
ratio is constant. In fact, I looked at it on the scope and is is a weight control.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Re: Help with K3, TenTec TITAN amp, and QSK

Steve Ellington
Aw come on....Turn the "weight" control up and your dahs get longer. The
dits stay the same. This is RATIO, not weight. A weight control would make
your dits shorter, lighter, less heavy. Just like changing the gap on a bug.
The JA boys changed this back a few years ago and started calling weight
ration. Any Curtis keyer has it right. The Idom Press keyers have it right
as well as the K1EL series. All of this have real weight controls and some
even have weight and ration controls. The ICOMs have ratio controls and they
are useless. The correct ratio is 3:1 and should never vary.
Steve Ellington
[hidden email]
>> I see that the K3 can delay RF generation before keying the amp relay but
>> what about, upon key up, delaying amp delay until RF ceases?  How is this
>> accomplished. Is it included?
>
> Yes, AMP KEY does not drop until after RF generation stops. I don't recall
> how long the delay is.
>
>> 2. The K3's keyer is excellent but it's a ratio adjustment, not weight as
>> indicated. The dit length or heaviness is non adjustable. This is like
>> most JA rigs and is really strange. Why would anyone want long dahs like
>> a bug? A real weight control shortens both dits and dahs equally and
>> makes overall keying sound more choppy or heavier. Although the K3's
>> weight is about right, some of us would prefer lighter weight for  high
>> speed and heavy weight for bad conditions. This goes way back to the
>> early days of  Morse.
>
> I don't think this is correct. I think it controls the dot:space ratio and
> the dot:dash ratio is constant. In fact, I looked at it on the scope and
> is is a weight control.

> Vic, K2VCO
> Fresno CA
> http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Re: Help with K3, TenTec TITAN amp, and QSK

P.B. Christensen
> The K3's internal keyer does have a weight control which varies the
> dot:space ratio. This is not the same as the Logikey's K parameter,
> because the K lengthens the
> elements by a constant amount regardless of speed (the Logikey also has a
> weight adjustment if you wish).

Same here.  I use a microHam CW Keyer with K = 3 to compensate for a slight
bit of "dit shortening" with the K3.  The dit shortening is less problematic
in the "Old QSK" versus the "New QSK" menu mode.  I would love to see
variable K compensation added to the K3 that would function on both the
internal keyer as well as an external keyer.  Adjustable rise/fall CW would
be a very welcome addition at say 4 ms to 8 ms in 2 ms increments.

Part of the issue is in determining how to calculate the rise & fall time of
the keyed envelope.  This becomes more critical as CW rise/fall times
lengthen.  Myself, I would calculate the keyed element length by referencing
the mid-point of the slope.  K compensation would then be added or
subtracted from there.

If you calculate the keyed element length at the point where the CW RF
waveform just begins to rise and continuing all the way to the point where
it has completed falling to zero, then the K3 is dead-on when referencing an
external keyed closure.  But, that's not a practical method of determining
keyed waveform duration with a raised cosine slope.  Again, referencing the
rise/fall points mid-slope is probably the best compromise with ramped
up/down keying.  If we had that control, we could then put our keyers back
to K = 0 where they really belong.

Paul, W9AC

Steve Ellington wrote:
> Aw come on....Turn the "weight" control up and your dahs get longer. The
> dits stay the same. This is RATIO, not weight. A weight control would
> make your dits shorter, lighter, less heavy. Just like changing the gap
> on a bug.

The scope says otherwise. The K3 has a weight control. Dot:Dash ratio is constant.
Dot:Space ratio is weight, and that's what the K3 weight control changes.

> The JA boys changed this back a few years ago and started calling weight
> ration. Any Curtis keyer has it right. The Idom Press keyers have it
> right as well as the K1EL series. All of this have real weight controls
> and some even have weight and ration controls. The ICOMs have ratio
> controls and they are useless. The correct ratio is 3:1 and should never
> vary.

I don't disagree that the Dot:Dash ratio should never change. I don't have an ICOM radio,
so I can't tell you what it does, but I know the K3 changes the weight.

The Idiom press keyers have two adjustments: Weight (W), which changes Dot:Space ratio as
it should, and Keying Compensation (K), which lets you add a fixed amount to all keyed
elements, to compensate for a fixed shortening in the radio.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Re: Help with K3, TenTec TITAN amp, and QSK

Steve Ellington
Paul
Have you noticed that the sidetone in the K3 sounds slightly heavier than
what is actually transmitted? In fact it's a little annoyingly heavy.

Steve Ellington
[hidden email]

Paul Christensen wrote:

> Part of the issue is in determining how to calculate the rise & fall time of
> the keyed envelope.  This becomes more critical as CW rise/fall times
> lengthen.  Myself, I would calculate the keyed element length by referencing
> the mid-point of the slope.  K compensation would then be added or
> subtracted from there.

I've found that because of this you can't just depend on the scope to make the adjustment.
What I do is put an old-time CW operator (myself) :-) on a second receiver and have him
listen to it.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Re: Help with K3, TenTec TITAN amp, and QSK

wayne burdick

On Apr 15, 2009, at 10:32 AM, Vic K2VCO wrote:

> Steve Ellington wrote:
>> 2 things:
>> I see that the K3 can delay RF generation before keying the amp relay
>> but what about, upon key up, delaying amp delay until RF ceases?  How
>> is
>> this accomplished. Is it included?
>
> Yes, AMP KEY does not drop until after RF generation stops. I don't
> recall how long the
> delay is.

If you switch the amp using PTT, you can adjust the delay from end of
RF to PTT release. See the CONFIG:PTT RLS menu entry.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

---

http://www.elecraft.com

Steve Ellington wrote:
> Paul
> Have you noticed that the sidetone in the K3 sounds slightly heavier than
> what is actually transmitted? In fact it's a little annoyingly heavy.

It does. I think this has to do with the slope of the transmitted RF that Paul referred to.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Re: Help with K3, TenTec TITAN amp, and QSK

wayne burdick
Administrator
I'll be reviewing this in future firmware releases.

Wayne
N6KR

On Apr 15, 2009, at 11:10 AM, Vic K2VCO wrote:

> Steve Ellington wrote:
>> Paul
>> Have you noticed that the sidetone in the K3 sounds slightly heavier
>> than
>> what is actually transmitted? In fact it's a little annoyingly heavy.
>
> It does. I think this has to do with the slope of the transmitted RF
> that Paul referred to.

---

http://www.elecraft.com

Re: Help with K3, TenTec TITAN amp, and QSK

Steve Ellington
Vic
Nope. There's more to weight than just dot space ratio. Not only must the
length of the dashes change but so must the dits. The K3 weight control
changes only the length of the dash, not the dits. If you turn up the K3's
"weight", it just changes the apparent ration and ends up sounding like a
bug with normal dits and long dashes. This is not the way to send cw. The
K3's control is the same as ICOMs which is flat wrong. Kenwood had it right
in their earlier rigs but went the ICOM way recently. TenTec has it right in
the Omni 7. Almost all external keyers have it right too.
Steve Ellington
[hidden email]
>> Aw come on....Turn the "weight" control up and your dahs get longer. The
>> dits stay the same. This is RATIO, not weight. A weight control would
>> make your dits shorter, lighter, less heavy. Just like changing the gap
>> on a bug.
>
> The scope says otherwise. The K3 has a weight control. Dot:Dash ratio is
> constant. Dot:Space ratio is weight, and that's what the K3 weight control
> changes.
>
>> The JA boys changed this back a few years ago and started calling weight
>> ration. Any Curtis keyer has it right. The Idom Press keyers have it
>> right as well as the K1EL series. All of this have real weight controls
>> and some even have weight and ration controls. The ICOMs have ratio
>> controls and they are useless. The correct ratio is 3:1 and should never
>> vary.
>
> I don't disagree that the Dot:Dash ratio should never change. I don't have
> an ICOM radio, so I can't tell you what it does, but I know the K3 changes
> the weight.
>
> The Idiom press keyers have two adjustments: Weight (W), which changes
> Dot:Space ratio as it should, and Keying Compensation (K), which lets you
> add a fixed amount to all keyed elements, to compensate for a fixed
> shortening in the radio.

> Vic, K2VCO
> Fresno CA
> http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Re: Help with K3, TenTec TITAN amp, and QSK

P.B. Christensen
> It does. I think this has to do with the slope of the transmitted RF that
> Paul referred to.

In the spirit of fairness, I must say that regardless of how critical I am
of CW keying performance in general (as is Steve), I think the K3 does a
better overall job of keying than any commercially-produced rig I've had in
the past.  Just a few slight tweaks would turn it into compete Nirvana.

Paul, W9AC

Re: Help with K3, TenTec TITAN amp, and QSK

wayne burdick
Steve,

Since I wrote the firmware in question I thought I'd jump in here.

When you vary the K3's CONFIG:CW WGHT parameter, it changes the length
of both dots and dashes in relation to the spaces between them. I just
looked at the RF envelope on an oscilloscope to verify this.

I'm not saying the the present algorithm can't be improved -- just that
it *does* affect both.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

Steve Ellington wrote:

> There's more to weight than just dot space ratio. Not only must the
> length of the dashes change but so must the dits....

---

http://www.elecraft.com

Re: Help with K3, TenTec TITAN amp, and QSK

Steve Ellington
I just checked and you are right (of course). Something changed. Anyway just
forget that part and thanks for answering the amp relay question.

Steve Ellington
[hidden email]
> Since I wrote the firmware in question I thought I'd jump in here.
>
> When you vary the K3's CONFIG:CW WGHT parameter, it changes the length of
> both dots and dashes in relation to the spaces between them. I just looked
> at the RF envelope on an oscilloscope to verify this.
>
> I'm not saying the the present algorithm can't be improved -- just that it
> *does* affect both.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>
> Steve Ellington wrote:
>
>> There's more to weight than just dot space ratio. Not only must the
>> length of the dashes change but so must the dits....
>

> ---
>
> http://www.elecraft.com

Re: Help with K3, TenTec TITAN amp, and QSK

Steve Ellington
I agree. The K3's keying is excellent and the timing of the keyer matches
that of the sidetone. This is important. When I use the K1EL keyer or the
Logickey K5, I find that my timing is slightly off because there seems to be
a delay in keyer output vs. paddle closure. I feel like I'm dragging the
sidetone behind. The K3's keyer response is instant.
Steve Ellington
[hidden email]
>> It does. I think this has to do with the slope of the transmitted RF that
>> Paul referred to.
>
> In the spirit of fairness, I must say that regardless of how critical I am
> of CW keying performance in general (as is Steve), I think the K3 does a
> better overall job of keying than any commercially-produced rig I've had
> in the past.  Just a few slight tweaks would turn it into compete Nirvana.
>
> Paul, W9AC

Re: Help with K3, TenTec TITAN amp, and QSK

Steve,

If the dot/space ratio is increased *and* the dash length is held at 3
dot times (dash:dot ratio = 3:1), both the dot and dash lengths should
increase and the spaces will decrease.
The reverse will occur if the dot/space ratio is reduced - spaces
lengthen, dots and dashes are reduced.
I always thought that was how the weight control *should* work.
Apparently the K3 does it that way now based on Wayne's posting.