Help with calibrating reference oscillator

Help with calibrating reference oscillator

Dale - K7DNH
Hi everyone -

need some advice please - at the K3 kit build stage of calibrating the reference oscillator ( pg 50 of manual )  -  once I get to config: REF CAL - the readout on the display is  like 42. 487.043 - - and the reading from the frequency counter is 59.95

I need to adjust the VFO A to match the frequency counter - however turning the VFO it appears it is going to take me three weeks of turning to get to 59.95 - as it is moving in 00.000.001  increments -

is there a way to speed up this process or have I done something wrong ( probably, as I have NEVER done anything like this in my life before! )

thanks for helping a newbie out.

Dale

Re: Help with calibrating reference oscillator

Dale - K7DNH
Many have replied off of the reflector to address this - many thanks and I will recheck everything, including having the freq counter checked.

Also will call support desk tomorrow when I am with the rig as suggested by Wayne.  Another amazing testimony of the personal care given by the principals of the company  to their customers - to take the time to personally email a purchaser of their product - wow!

I have not yet heard this radio work, but I am very thankful I choose Elecraft.  Looking forward to my first QSO... ever.

Re: Help with calibrating reference oscillator

Bruce McLaughlin-2
You might try clicking the fine/course button to the right of VFO  A.  See
if that causes some of the decimal places to disappear from the display.  If
it does, continue to click the button until no more decimal places
disappear.  Now set the VFO to the desired reading.  I will qualify the
foregoing by stating that I did not build the K-3 but it really does sound
like it is displaying the frequency to more decimal places than you need or
want for this purpose.

Bruce-W8FU

need some advice please - at the K3 kit build stage of calibrating the
reference oscillator ( pg 50 of manual )  -  once I get to config: REF CAL -
the readout on the display is  like 42. 487.043 - - and the reading from the
frequency counter is 59.95

I need to adjust the VFO A to match the frequency counter - however turning
the VFO it appears it is going to take me three weeks of turning to get to
59.95 - as it is moving in 00.000.001  increments -

is there a way to speed up this process or have I done something wrong (
probably, as I have NEVER done anything like this in my life before! )

thanks for helping a newbie out.

Dale

-----
73,